2017 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid SE Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick1994

$100 site donor 2024
My daily driver is a 2015 Sonata SE with the regular 2.4L. After being rear-ended last Friday I dropped off my car at the body shop and got a 2017 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid SE with 6k miles as a rental car. For the most part I liked it and it drove pretty nice. Dropped it off after 6 days and 411 miles. I drove it pretty hard and got 35.5 mpg commuting, where my 2015 gets around 29 mpg.

It's easier to come up with Cons than Pros for a car in my experience. But I did enjoy the car a bit, was a million times better than the Yaris they put me in at first (I swapped at another location for the Sonata Hybrid). That Yaris was god-awful. Overall I do recommend those in the market check it out if you're looking for a hybrid, but I do like my 2.4L MUCH more having a real engine.

Pros:
-Extremely comfortable seats, slightly softer than my 2015, very comfortable for tall people.
-Very quiet.
-Comes standard with Apple CarPlay
-For the most part it had plenty of power, nice torque from that electric motor
-On the 25 miles of highway home last night, I reset the average mpg and set the cruise control to 55 mph and after 25 miles it displayed 63.5 mpg. It was probably over estimating a little bit but at that low speed, it drove a lot in Electric Vehicle mode so 60 mpg is probably more accurate.
-Stereo sound is pretty decent. Not high end but for a base model it sounds pretty good, sounds like my 2015's stereo.

Cons:
-A/C would occasionally warm up a bit, then get ice cold, then a few minutes get a little warm. My 2015 doesn't do this.
-A/C blower motor comes up to speed in slow motion when starting the car. I always was manually cranking it up as soon as I got in to make it go faster, it's 100 degrees outside! Hurry up! I think it's slow to come on to be more gentle and seem more "luxurious". My 2015 doesn't have this issue as it has a manual knob instead of a digital display. It goes to full power immediately.
-Has a delay when stomping on the gas. This is so the gas engine can kick on to assist with harder acceleration. I've never driven a hybrid before so this might just be a hybrid thing
-Apple CarPlay needs some work. Not sure if this is an Apple issue or Hyundai issue. When clicking on a text message to read aloud it sometimes doesn't, and it takes a couple tries.
-The built in media player for Bluetooth music absolutely sucks. You can't choose the artist, album, or song from the radio. You have to do it from your phone. You can however skip to the next song. My 2015 allows the selection of artist, album, and song through Bluetooth. It has the non-touchscreen base model stereo. I like it more.
-The headlights are ok, not the greatest. My 2015 blows it out of the water because I replaced the bulbs with 9011's (not what it calls for).

w1wkz6.jpg

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
That Yaris was god-awful.

I agree!! I had one as a rental one time. The thing I hated the most was that weird hump of a speedometer positioned exactly in the middle of the dash as opposed to having it right in front of you.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm

I agree!! I had one as a rental one time. The thing I hated the most was that weird hump of a speedometer positioned exactly in the middle of the dash as opposed to having it right in front of you.
What year was the one you rented? The one I got was a 2016 and it was normal

The previous gen Yaris was like that. The ones around 2010 or so. I got used to it after awhile. Still kind of weird though.

What year was the one you rented? The one I got was a 2016 and it was normal

Maybe was a 2012 or 13 I think.

Forgot to add 2 Cons:

-A/C defaulted to "ECON" mode EVERY time you turn on the car. I turned that off every single time immediately, it's 100 degrees outside!
-"Auto" mode for the A/C was absolutely awful. You can set it like a home thermostat so if you like it 73 you set it to that and it'll automatically adjust the car to that temp. The problem was it blew warm air really hard, so it was uncomfortably warm and it dried out my eyes from being a wind storm, it never worked right. I've driven the Avalon and when using Auto mode set to, say 73, it'll blow nice cold air but not so hard. Very comfortable.

Does econ mode turn off the AC? That's what the econ button does in my LR3....never have touched it. LOL!

It seems as though there are more cons than pros...

*So I can assume that you won't be trading up?
*What type of fuel economy does your '15 compared to the '17 Hybrid?
*How is the Hybrid power delivery compared to your 2.4L?

It was like this.

...World Car (left or right side driving...)
Yaris was not made for US...
but it made Toyota money in 2008....

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
It seems as though there are more cons than pros...

*So I can assume that you won't be trading up?
*What type of fuel economy does your '15 compared to the '17 Hybrid?
*How is the Hybrid power delivery compared to your 2.4L?
As I said above, it's easier to come up with Cons than Pros, and that's with most things IMO. You can still mostly like something and still see plenty of faults though, nothing is perfect.

For my car I paid 38% of the cost of a new base model Sonata Hybrid, so no I definitely won't upgrade

My 2015 gets around 29-30 mpg on my commute, but I drive it pretty hard. I've got a fair amount of highway driving mixed into my commute as well. The hybrid got 35.5 mpg

The Hybrid for the most part has a bit more power than my 2.4L. There were times the hybrid felt a little sluggish and I felt that at those speeds my car might have performed better, such as responsiveness of not waiting for the gas engine to kick on when you've smashed down the gas pedal.

I ask this as a serious question...If you didn't own your 2015 Sonata and you were looking to buy a new Sonata(now having driven both) which would you choose? : )

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
I ask this as a serious question...If you didn't own your 2015 Sonata and you were looking to buy a new Sonata(now having driven both) which would you choose? : )
From a financial standpoint, the hybrid costs about $4,000 more than the gas engine version.

20,000 miles per year, 30 mpg, $2.10 per gallon of gas, 2.4L version costs $1,400 per year for gas.
20,000 miles per year, 40 mpg, $2.10 per gallon of gas, hybrid version costs $1,050 per year for gas. A $350 savings.

It would take 11.4 years just to break even for the gas savings to make sense. Hyundai actually gives the original purchaser a lifetime battery warranty. But in the end the hybrid makes very little sense financially.

For a driving pleasure standpoint, I really do like the regular gas engine much more. No delays waiting for the engine to kick on, not so annoying.

Hyundai has an "eco" version of this car with the 1.6L turbo that has quite a bit of power. I'd consider one of those but would have to calculate out the cost.

Yes, I see!
I have also done the delta on the cost of a more expensive vehicle that gets better MPG as compared to the version that doesn't.

I too prefer a n/a engine just for their simpleness and lesser chance of potential problems after warranty.

I drove 3-'15 Sonata's(at different dealerships) during my 2015 vehicle test drives prior to settling on my final choice. The Sonata is certainly a fine car indeed and should be a strong consideration for anyone looking for a car in the midsize family sedan segment.

I have a detailed test drive review of all/most of the cars that I drove in the "Vehicles" section...2015. It was fun!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back