2010 Lincoln MKZ AWD 20mo/21K Mile Review

Status
Not open for further replies.
Highs: Decent power, AWD grip, THXII sound, quality leather, features galore
Lows: Horrible OE tires, mediocre MPG, sticker shock, poor resale

I bought my 2010 MKZ AWD Ultimate in January, 2011. I traded a ’10 Focus SES for it. The car currently has 21,xxx miles. It has been very solid thus far. It’s been in for 1 unscheduled visit due to a flashing TMPS light – which resulted in a faulty TPMS sensor (can’t really blame the car for that). Other than that, it has been problem-free. It holds 5.5 quarts of 5w20. It has had Motorcraft most of its life – due to free maintenance for 1 year. The current fill is M1. It’s fully loaded, with every option available. My favorite features are THXII sound, adaptive HIDs (they turn when you do), heated and cooled Bridge of Weir Leather, back-up camera, to name a few. The THXII sound system sounds amazing for OE. One would have to spend several $thousand to get similar sound and features. It has 14 speakers, 600 watts, 12-channel amp, built-in voice-command Navi, etc. The 500+w, 9-speaker Alpine system in my Jeep sounds poor in comparison. Along with all the fancy features, comes a very fancy sticker price of $43.7K. Wait…What!? Hold on….I didn’t pay near that, otherwise I’d still be driving the Focus. I found it at a small-town dealer – who was getting out of the new Lincoln business. It is a ’10 model, and I bought in January, 2011. The owner drove it some, so it was considered a “demo”. However, it only had 700 total miles. Their lowered price was $30.9K! That’s more like it…at ~$13K off, it becomes much less than a loaded Fusion Sport AWD (closest twin). What sets the MKZ apart from a Fusion, is the quality of materials inside and out. On an MKZ, you get real wood, or real aluminum trim on the interior, vs. painted plastics in the Fusion. The same applies on the exterior. The bright trim you see – is real polished metal – not chromed plastic. You also cannot get THXII in a Fusion.

Power from the 3.5 Duratec is quite nice. It’s not a hot rod by any means, but it can get out its own way (something my Focus couldn’t do). The 6-spd Aisin auto has been great. Handling is good with the stiffer suspension (Sport package) and AWD. It does feel a little heavy in corners (because it is heavy). You can’t toss it around corners like I could in the 1000lb-lighter Focus. My biggest complaint would be the OE tires. With the Sport Appearance package, comes very nice 18” wheels, and Goodyear Eagle RSAs. These tires are horrible, and need to be retired. I picked up a set of 16” steelies + Altimax Artics from DTD last winter. I never got to try them out, because we didn’t have any snowfall above 2” last year. MPG is average-to-mediocre in this class. EPA is 17/24. I easily beat that, but it’s still not great. Commuting to work in “mixed-City” driving, I average ~19.5 MPG. My Jeep gets almost the same, and it’s 1000 lbs heavier, more brick-like, and has more HP. I do drive somewhat-spirited. We took one extended trip in the MKZ, and got averaged 26.5 MPG during extreme summer heat, with a family of 4, and trunk almost full. I was satisfied. For comparison, a new Pentastar Charger AWD EPA is 18/27 (8-spd auto), a Hemi AWD Charger is rated at 15/23, and an SHO gets 17/25.

I recently checked the KBB and Edmunds trade-in price. It’s now worth half of original sticker on a trade. It is almost 3 model years old, but I’ve had it for less than 2 years. The trade-in is currently only $2K more than a loaded Fusion Sport AWD of the same year/mileage. This is discouraging.

The ride is smooth, quiet, and firm on the highway. It’s still tight and rattle-free after 21K+ miles. Would I buy another one? Sure – if I can get $13K off again. However, I would never spend close to sticker on it. At sticker, I would definitely cross-shop an SHO, Charger R/T AWD, 300 Hemi AWD, Durango, Explorer, truck, etc. You can also find 1 yr-old MKS Ecoboosts for the low to mid $30ks (that’s over $20k off new!), with mileage in the teens. I am interested in how the 13’ MKZ models do. The 3.7 AWD sounds tempting.

Here's a couple of pics:

mkz_1_zpsd8d2f8b2.jpg

The White Platinum Tri-Coat looks nice when clean. It's a pearlish color, with multi-colored flakes:

MKZ_flake_PS2-1.jpg

MKZ_new2.jpg

The old song: "Boy, you gonna drive me to drinkin', you don't quit runnin' that hot rod Lincoln."

New song:"Boy, I ain't got no money for drinkin, cause of the depreciation on that MKZ Lincoln."

Hey Kreit we have 50 year apart twins! Thanks for the review, I wondered how this new Lincolns held up. It seemed like they may kill it off like Mercury these last few years.

014-3.jpg

Originally Posted By: kkreit01
The 6-spd Aisin auto has been great.

If your car is a 2010 model, I'm pretty sure it has the 6F50 Ford transmission in it.

Originally Posted By: G-MAN
Originally Posted By: kkreit01
The 6-spd Aisin auto has been great.

If your car is a 2010 model, I'm pretty sure it has the 6F50 Ford transmission in it.

Nope. The 3.5 in the Fusions/MKZ have the Aisin TF-80 -- which has been problem-free. The other '10+ Fusions (2.5 & 3.0) got the 6F35 -- which has been problem-some.

Last edited:
Nice review of your car and glad you enjoy it. I personally like the Cadillac CTS better but to each his own. You got a good deal and the car is serving you well. Cheers!

I like the color a lot. I owned a Cadillac STS in that color (well, Cadillac's version of it anyway). Your Lincoln is a nice car for sure.

We have the 2012 MKZ Hybrid. Very pleased with it so far, only 6000 miles on it. Came with 4 years of maintenance, well 8 visits really. Combined HP is 191 which is fine 95% of the time, only if really pushing it on entrance ramp will it be underpowered and noisy. THE MPG is great, averaging about 38-39 with some trips around town in the 40s interstate around 39 or so on regular fuel.

The CVT transmission provides enough torque to do the job and operates nicely. Only time the hybrid is noticeable is when one is doing around 45 or so and speed up to 50 going downhill (not pressing on accelerator) and the gas engine kicks in at 47 regardless of whether it is needed or not, this is when there is a slight stumble/shudder as the engine starts up. Very smooth from a stop though when the gas engine starts.

Only mistake we made was the very light tan leather seats, my belt has actually transferred dye onto the seat which was impossible to remove, had to have a pro do it, in hindsight we would get a darker colored leather.

Great highway car, the jukebox is great, really impressed so far.
We could have waited for the 2013 models to arrive but we did not like the new styling and not sure what the pricing would be.

Originally Posted By: jayg
Hey Kreit we have 50 year apart twins! Thanks for the review, I wondered how this new Lincolns held up. It seemed like they may kill it off like Mercury these last few years.

Very nice Lincoln! Maybe if I keep mine another 47 years, it will start appreciating. I'd have to quit driving it though...

Originally Posted By: panthermike
Very nice car, I like it a lot. Kind of surprised at the depreciation though.

I see used car with a lot of value for the money.

Originally Posted By: asiancivicmaniac
I see used car with a lot of value for the money.

Me too. I bought a 2001 Cadillac STS for $13,000 in 2007. Only six years old, and the value dropped to about 25% of its original MSRP. American luxury cars are excellent values when bought used.

Bringing up an old thread, nice looking car to OP.

My review of my MKS EcoBoost AWD. Enjoy the car save for two glaring anoyances. The MicroSoft control center is confusing and not intuitive. And like most MS products, it will hang up, stuck while it tries to resolve an error.

Worst feature is the AWD feature. Even with a mud & snow rated tire, it's not much better than FWD in the snowy inclines of Pennsylvania. A rear tire only engages after the fronts are spinning (makes steering impossible), and then only a revolution or two, and then your stuck. Give me a system that forces the fronts and rears to spin together, user select. This car is terrible in the snow!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back