2021 Kia Optima - Released

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by KCJeep
Hyundai/Kia have already surpassed some Japanese makes, however the public perception has not entirely caught up yet. It has to some degree, as the Korean makes are already priced closer to the big Japanese names than they were 5-7 years ago.

I rent cars every week. Sometimes as many as 3 cars per week. All of them get driven serious miles. My shortest day trip is 200 miles.

I can say, with absolute certainty that I've never rented a Hyundai or Kia that was in any way better than it's Japanese competition. In particular, driving dynamics of H/K cars and SUV's fall short. Quite simply, I'd take an Altima over any similar H/K on a long trip. Far more comfortable, and precise.

Just thinking aloud here, but sometimes the issues are not readily apparent. I rented a Kia Sportage and my initial impression was a good one. Until I experienced a bumpy highway on ramp corner. It upset the thing so badly, I actually wondered what specific design flaws caused the upset. After getting on the highway, it was louder than expected and less than great MPG. Furthermore the brakes on the Sportage were just fine until the 3rd downhill use. At which point, they became inadequate. Something I've not experienced on any other modern vehicle.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Cujet
Originally Posted by KCJeep
Hyundai/Kia have already surpassed some Japanese makes, however the public perception has not entirely caught up yet. It has to some degree, as the Korean makes are already priced closer to the big Japanese names than they were 5-7 years ago.

I rent cars every week. Sometimes as many as 3 cars per week. All of them get driven serious miles. My shortest day trip is 200 miles.

I can say, with absolute certainty that I've never rented a Hyundai or Kia that was in any way better than it's Japanese competition. In particular, driving dynamics of H/K cars and SUV's fall short. Quite simply, I'd take an Altima over any similar H/K on a long trip. Far more comfortable, and precise.

Just thinking aloud here, but sometimes the issues are not readily apparent. I rented a Kia Sportage and my initial impression was a good one. Until I experienced a bumpy highway on ramp corner. It upset the thing so badly, I actually wondered what specific design flaws caused the upset. After getting on the highway, it was louder than expected and less than great MPG. Furthermore the brakes on the Sportage were just fine until the 3rd downhill use. At which point, they became inadequate. Something I've not experienced on any other modern vehicle.

I would agree that driving dynamics are not as refined as others. But-I saved $5,000.00 over the Toyo/Honda equivalent when I bought my wife's Santa Fe. And let's face it-there is really a small percentage of the time when you are really going to actually feel the difference.

I will take the money and run....................OR drive!
lol.gif

Originally Posted by joekingcorvette
Looks great. When Kia and Hyundai first came out I thought they would follow the path of the Yugo. These cars really took a bite out of the big three and it amazes me how well built they are.

I was running quick lube shops when Kia debuted in the US. I had the exact same thoughts. I kept seeing more and more of them. Customers started showing up with them with mostly good comments. I thought for sure these would be the next Daewoo. Now, some 20 years later, we have a 2016 Kia Sorento SX AWD V6 in the garage that my wife absolutely loves. I actually enjoy driving it myself. Great pep and drives as good as any other SUV in the same class.

The Sephia was the first Kia to hit our shores and it was a terrible car in every way imaginable. At least the subsequent Sportage had some Mazda underpinnings, but it wasn't highly regarded either. The company was doomed for failure in the US and ultimately went into bankruptcy in the late 90's.

It wasn't until Hyundai got involved with Kia that they had the resources to capture market share in a meaningful way. Patience and persistence paid off, it took a long, long time for Kia / Hyundai to get where they are. This is the challenge to being successful in the US market, building good cars is a very small part of it.

First thing I thought of is Camaro, with the expanded, borderless honeycomb. Chromed plastic must be getting expensive, because I see it disappearing all over.

Looks good overall, and light years ahead of the mutant catfish Sonata, but I've always thought it was the better-looking sibling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back