HYUNDAI/Emergency Sonata refresh

2012-Hyundai-Sonata-GLS.jpg

The 6th generation was a huge success in the US.... however, back in South Korea, it wasn't a good seller, as it was too radical for sensible Korean tastes

I've just recently heard(I can't remember where) that HYUNDAI is doing an emergency refresh on the SONATA as sales have plummeted since its redesign. Currently, the KIA K5(formerly the OPTIMA) is outselling the SONATA. The reason given for the SONATA's emergency refresh is its style, mainly the grill work(front end) and not because the K5 is outselling it. I like the SONATA redesign except the front end.

But, I also think(IMO) that HYUNDAI will also rearrange some to the SONATA's features and maybe add AWD to the option list as the KIA K5 is available with AWD. And I also think that the ELANTRA may be next for an emergency refresh as it too has a similar look, unless of course, its sales numbers don't reflect that. But the ELANTRA was not mentioned in the segment.

I loved the 2015-17 Sonata redesign as it had a really grown up look to it and seemed as though it would age well(until they refreshed it in 2018). The 2018 refresh was still OK IMO but I liked the '15-'17 that little bit better.
I recently saw dealership Sonata leasing prices at $179/mo !

the rear end looks terrible too! like they sowed a trout with a duck end to end. shoulda stuck with the past couple subtle generations looks

I've just recently heard(I can't remember where) that HYUNDAI is doing an emergency refresh on the SONATA as sales have plummeted since its redesign. Currently, the KIA K5(formerly the OPTIMA) is outselling the SONATA. The reason given for the SONATA's emergency refresh is its style, mainly the grill work(front end) and not because the K5 is outselling it. I like the SONATA redesign except the front end.

But, I also think(IMO) that HYUNDAI will also rearrange some to the SONATA's features and maybe add AWD to the option list as the KIA K5 is available with AWD. And I also think that the ELANTRA may be next for an emergency refresh as it too has a similar look, unless of course, its sales numbers don't reflect that. But the ELANTRA was not mentioned in the segment.

I loved the 2015-17 Sonata redesign as it had a really grown up look to it and seemed as though it would age well(until they refreshed it in 2018). The 2018 refresh was still OK IMO but I liked the '15-'17 that little bit better.
Do you actually have any references on this? OR-is this just a rumor that has been started?

Last edited:
Personally, I like the design, and the Sonata N-Line is impressive.

At 290 HP/311 FT-LBS (@1650 RPM!), and 5 seconds 0-60, tune (and acceleration) on the 2.5L turbo 4 is about what I expect the new 2022 WRX to be.

Last edited:
It seems like every gen Sonata I like when I first see it and then 6 mos later it's :sleep: :sleep: :sleep: I don't even want one as a rental.

Gotta say, I was sold on the 6th Gen design, it very "fluid" and is aging extremely well. With the 2.0L Turbo, it was also respectively quick. Even the base 2.4L that we have currently is a smooth, and eager revving motor with a "regular" 5 speed with OD, you are in the power under almost all conditions with anything more then jab at the throttle.(and will pull 34.7MPG on the highway) The 7th gen was not too bad either, it in my opinion was "grown up" and more "businesslike" coming from the 6th gen. (but with less HP, more TQ) and a claimed stiffer chassis and better body control.

But for me, the "N" line looks to be where its at. Can probably pick one up in a couple years for a reasonable amount of cash.

Here is the our 2013. even the paint is aging extremely well, and zero rust.

Attachments

• IMG_20200520_175315886_HDR.jpeg
    IMG_20200520_175315886_HDR.jpeg
    156.8 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20200520_175306091.jpeg
    IMG_20200520_175306091.jpeg
    189.8 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20200520_175248568 (1).jpeg
    IMG_20200520_175248568 (1).jpeg
    169.2 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_1038.jpeg
    IMG_1038.jpeg
    211.3 KB · Views: 11
new one seem oddly preportioned from behind, advantages rear view camera placement and logo push trunk release
2021-Hyundai-Sonata-N-Line-11.jpg
IMG_6739.jpg

Last edited:
2012-Hyundai-Sonata-GLS.jpg

The 6th generation was a huge success in the US.... however, back in South Korea, it wasn't a good seller, as it was too radical for sensible Korean tastes
I wasn't crazy about the grill on this generation but, I didn't hate it either and I liked the rest of the car overall.
This generation Sonata grill was no more ugly than my 2015 Altima which is the least favorite part of my car. But again, I don't hate it.
I call these style of grills the "Jokers smiling face"(Batman).

Gotta say, I was sold on the 6th Gen design, it very "fluid" and is aging extremely well. With the 2.0L Turbo, it was also respectively quick. Even the base 2.4L that we have currently is a smooth, and eager revving motor with a "regular" 5 speed with OD, you are in the power under almost all conditions with anything more then jab at the throttle.(and will pull 34.7MPG on the highway) The 7th gen was not too bad either, it in my opinion was "grown up" and more "businesslike" coming from the 6th gen. (but with less HP, more TQ) and a claimed stiffer chassis and better body control.

But for me, the "N" line looks to be where its at. Can probably pick one up in a couple years for a reasonable amount of cash.

Here is the our 2013. even the paint is aging extremely well, and zero rust.
Difference of opinion I guess, but the 6th generation was way overly styled, but wasn’t ugly, albeit very close to being ugly. The 7th generation they toned it down a lot. The 8th gen they basically did the same thing as the 6th generation, but this time they managed to definitely cross the line into ugliness.

Difference of opinion I guess, but the 6th generation was way overly styled, but wasn’t ugly, albeit very close to being ugly. The 7th generation they toned it down a lot. The 8th gen they basically did the same thing as the 6th generation, but this time they managed to definitely cross the line into ugliness.
I agree with you on the 8th gen, and even the 6th gen being "over styled" in comparison to the model it replaced.. But the 8th gen... its just too much, but i see a ton of them on the roads, so they must be selling?

I agree with you on the 8th gen, and even the 6th gen being "over styled" in comparison to the model it replaced.. But the 8th gen... its just too much, but i see a ton of them on the roads, so they must be selling?
I don’t see too many 8th generation Sonatas, truthfully. I do see the Kia K5 in abundant numbers. It seems that the K5 is a hot seller.

Edit: I just checked sales figures for both Sonata and K5. Sonata outsells K5. Maybe it’s just my area, or perhaps the K5 is popular with the younger generations who drive more, and the Sonata is popular with the older generations who drive less.

Last edited:
Unless the OP can provide links/documentation this thread was one of speculation (not unlike others on here).

Unless the OP can provide links/documentation this thread was one of speculation (not unlike others on here).
Lighten up, you always get so defensive whenever anyone says anything slightly critical of Hyundai/Kia products.

Straight from a South Korean publication.

Lighten up, you always get so defensive whenever anyone says anything slightly critical of Hyundai/Kia products.

Straight from a South Korean publication.

The original post referred to no source. Now we have documentation - for the South Korean Market anyway. At least it's some source; other than
" somewhere". BTW-the Sonata here is in line with other sedans in the mid numbers segment-
Sonata 7,965 units
Malibu 7,934
Jetta 6,270 units
Charger 7,339 units.

Last edited:
It's gotta be an upper trim version for me to like the proportions on this generation Sonata and Elantra.

It's not as bad as Honda's emergency refresh of the 2012 Honda civic...during the MY2012, Honda had to refresh it to not look cheap for the 2013 model year.

2012-honda-civic-ex-l-sedan-photo-404155-s-986x603.jpg

preview-928x522.jpg

Back