Chevy Cruze or Hyundai Sonata ECO/Kia Optima LX?

I'm currently shopping for a new DD to replace my 2009 Sonata. I have wanted a Fusion or Sonata/Optima 2.0T, but do not feel like paying the premium for the vehicles in my area. Plus, in 2015, Motor Trend said the ECO is supposedly quicker. I have not heard much good about the Malibu with the 1.5, so it's not on the list.

A 2015 Sonata ECO with 75K miles is $9K private party, and a 2016 LX-Turbo with 48K miles will be $12.3 OTD

A 2018-2019 Cruze will be $13.5K with less than 30K miles. Once in a blue moon a private party will pop up for less, but it's been rare.

The Chevy Cruze will have more features and be a few years newer and half the miles. I'm not sure if the $2k is worth it.

Both should have similar MPG. Drive will be 2.1 miles each way on surface streets during the week and 50-150 miles mostly highway on weekends.

Links to mentioned vehicles below. Which should I choose?

We put 146k on a 1.4L Cruze … changed the plastic coolant outlet that sometimes cracks on them …
anything else was normal PM

Hyundai. Don't even bother with the Cruze, the 1.4 turbo is a dog and not exactly "reliable".
The second gen's LE2 doesn't have the problems of the first gen LUV/LUJ, and the 2018 has the upgraded pistons to prevent LSPI problems. I've got a 2012 LT. It's got 152 hp compared to the ECO's 178, but the ECO has peak tq. at 2500 RPM, which is one of the reasons I am looking at it.

Pass on the Sonata if it’s an ECO. The 7 speed DCT is highly problematic and it wasn’t included in the recent DCT settlement that was awarded to the Tucson.

Also skip the Optima 1.6T. The same DCT as the Hyundai.

I had a 15' Sonata SE, so it had the 2.4L. Bought it 4 years ago with 52k for $9,990 at a dealer, just under $12k out the door after taxes and all fees iirc. Was an awesome car, traded it in a year ago at 108k miles, only repair was a torn CV boot. That price seems high. The engine is good, but the DCT transmissions aren't the best.

I wouldn't touch a Cruze though.

The OP is an adult who can make his/her own decisions. Quit persuading him into purchasing something just to fit your ideology.

Of course he is, and no ideology meant :)

It just sounded like his only reservation against Toyota was the higher prices, so if some are within budget, then they're worth looking at, especially against the backdrop of other replies with various horror stories with the 1.4T and GDI Hyundais. Also, the Toyotas' engines are the BITOG-friendly non-turbo port-injected type.

I also forgot to mention the 13-17 Accord. They are great cars, flawless and seamless CVT, great gas mileage for a car of its size, lots of room. It's DI, but doesn't seem to have the problems Hyundai has with theirs.

I know for one thing if you have a family that rides in your car daily then the Cruze is not the one you want. We had one as a rental and those things are small as heck. Also have heard of many problems with them.

I know for one thing if you have a family that rides in your car daily then the Cruze is not the one you want. We had one as a rental and those things are small as heck. Also have heard of many problems with them.
True. The OP is shopping between a compact sedan and two midsize (actually EPA large cars). I assumed interior volume wasn’t a concern.

Very true, I had looked at the Cruze before the Sonata and while the front seats are ok, the back are awful. I don't want to scoot up my seat so my knees are in the dash just for a back seat passenger.

My Sonata was huge inside.

I had a 2016 kia optima sxl with the 2.0 turbo and six speend trans and so far its a great car. It gets great fuel economy, has decent power, rides well, and is very comfortable. I highly recommend the optoima especially the higher trim levels. I always thought heated/cooled seats where "hoity toity" but they are great especially in the summer. Reliability is fine so far I change the oil every 4k miles and Im about to do a trans dain and fill.

After selling my miata, I picked up a 2018 Kia Optima EX 2.4l, 26k miles, dealer maintained (carfax) from a Lexus dealer as a trade in. Got there the day they lowered the price 1k and paid 13,900+tax etc. Car was fully loaded except sunroof. No concerned about reliability as the engine has a lifetime warranty due to a class action lawsuit.

Keep shopping around. I had the cars bookmarked on car gurus I was ready to buy. I almost went and bought a 2018 civic lx base for 13.5, but the Kia was a bigger car and fully loaded. It was a no brainer. I love the car only thing is the mpg could be better but I drive mostly city.

The Chevy Malibu is a pretty solid car these days. The 1.5T did have some issues at first but it’s had constant tweaks and revisions and it’s been solidly reliable since the 2018 model year. The 2016-2017 models have had some issues.
The Fusion 2.5 NA engine is also very reliable. The Sonata/Optima are a very good value when you consider the lifetime engine warranty on the Theta II 2.4/2.0T.

As long as the Cruzes are looked over (engine wise) and cared for, they should be just fine. I have a SIL’s husband who has a 19 Hatch LT. Has almost 50k on it now, and has been flawless so far. He does a great job of keeping up on maintenance, so I’m sure his Cruze will do just fine.

Bonus if the Cruzes are CPO. I like the Kia too.......

No kids, 4'11" wife. Back seat is used for storage. Only requirement for storage space is ability to fit 4.5 ft. fishing rods in the trunk or backseat. The first gens had coolant and oil problems. the 2016-2017 had engine problems due to LSPI. The 2018-up got forged internals, different oil requirements and I think some different tuning to prevent this.

I had a 2016 kia optima sxl with the 2.0 turbo and six speend trans and so far its a great car. It gets great fuel economy, has decent power, rides well, and is very comfortable. I highly recommend the optoima especially the higher trim levels. I always thought heated/cooled seats where "hoity toity" but they are great especially in the summer. Reliability is fine so far I change the oil every 4k miles and Im about to do a trans dain and fill.
What are you getting on the highway and in the city? There are several 3013-2015 SX, SX-L, and 2.0T Hyundais in the area, around the price I'd pay for the Cruze, but with quite a few more miles. The HP reduction in 2015 on the 2.0T is confusing.

As long as the Cruzes are looked over (engine wise) and cared for, they should be just fine. I have a SIL’s husband who has a 19 Hatch LT. Has almost 50k on it now, and has been flawless so far. He does a great job of keeping up on maintenance, so I’m sure his Cruze will do just fine.

Bonus if the Cruzes are CPO. I like the Kia too.......

I'm looking for as low of a mileage as possible. Considering a hatch, but not really picky.
Of course he is, and no ideology meant :)

It just sounded like his only reservation against Toyota was the higher prices, so if some are within budget, then they're worth looking at, especially against the backdrop of other replies with various horror stories with the 1.4T and GDI Hyundais. Also, the Toyotas' engines are the BITOG-friendly non-turbo port-injected type.

I also forgot to mention the 13-17 Accord. They are great cars, flawless and seamless CVT, great gas mileage for a car of its size, lots of room. It's DI, but doesn't seem to have the problems Hyundai has with theirs.

I have been looking for Accords, but they are like the Toyotas. We've got Honda and Toyota plants in the area.
That idrive dealer that has the Optima you're looking at also has this Camry

I also found this Camry
this Corolla
and if it's within your budget, this CPO Corolla iM

I want to stay under 75K miles, but I do like the styling of the first Camry. I'm not sold on the 2.5. We had the previous generation at work with the 2.5 and I can't say I was impressed.

We have the second Camry at work now, and it's a good ride, but the styling is not for me, and the touchscreen hasn't worked in a long while.

We've had several Corollas from all recent generations and they've been blah to me.

The Chevy Malibu is a pretty solid car these days. The 1.5T did have some issues at first but it’s had constant tweaks and revisions and it’s been solidly reliable since the 2018 model year. The 2016-2017 models have had some issues.
The Fusion 2.5 NA engine is also very reliable. The Sonata/Optima are a very good value when you consider the lifetime engine warranty on the Theta II 2.4/2.0T.

The 2018-up Malibus are around $15K+TTL on Facebook Marketplace. The comments I've seen are that it is underpowered and tinny in the Malibu. Only .1L larger than the engine in the Cruze.

I'm not sure why, but I just don't feel like having the "base" engine like the one in the Fusion. I've never really wanted the base engine for whatever reason.

The family has had 6 or 7 Hyundais, and my mother has a 2.4 Santa Fe currently. I know that a domestic would be "better", but yes, the lifetime engine warranty would be nice if whatever I buy applies.

Back