Chevy Cruze or Hyundai Sonata ECO/Kia Optima LX?

girlfriends preowned 18 optima 2.4 has been flawless, roomy, peppy + good mpgs! only oil changes so far! whatever you get remember simpler is better aka NO turbo! No Di is almost impossible but a thought. lo mile cars cost more but can be better in the long run, good luck + shopping away from your home area can save $$$$ as well. many Hyindais are Kias + vice versa with looks the only difference

I have been looking for Accords, but they are like the Toyotas. We've got Honda and Toyota plants in the area.

I want to stay under 75K miles, but I do like the styling of the first Camry. I'm not sold on the 2.5. We had the previous generation at work with the 2.5 and I can't say I was impressed.

We have the second Camry at work now, and it's a good ride, but the styling is not for me, and the touchscreen hasn't worked in a long while.

We've had several Corollas from all recent generations and they've been blah to me.

I found this 2015 Accord with 73k :)

I'm getting 30-32 mpg indicated. I dont drive it in eco mode because its sluggish, instead I preffer to put it in Sport mode which moves the shift points and on the George Bush Tollway if you do 70 mph you'll get run over (like 80 mph is about the flow of traffic) As for the reduction in hp, it was reduced but torque was significantly improved and the car makes better power under the curve. The turbo spools up at a lower rpm so there is hardly any turbo lag. If I have it in sport mode with traction control off and punch it at the light, I get a first and second gear scratch. (I only use 93 octane there is a definate difference)If that isnt enough there are several tunes you can get that boost hp and tq but 50-60. An added bonus is that eventhough I got mine used I have a lifetime engine warranty, and my basic warranty is good until mar 2022 or 60k

girlfriends preowned 18 optima 2.4 has been flawless, roomy, peppy + good mpgs! only oil changes so far! whatever you get remember simpler is better aka NO turbo! No Di is almost impossible but a thought. lo mile cars cost more but can be better in the long run, good luck + shopping away from your home area can save $$$$ as well. many Hyundai are Kias + vice versa with looks the only difference
I have been checking in my parents area of North Texas also. I'm ready to buy enough that I will slap down the money if I find what I want, but I am not desperate enough to hop on a plane yet.

I found this 2015 Accord with 73k :)

I hadn't seen something that new in the price range. The $4k price drop is a little concerning. Really wish it had dark interior.

I'm getting 30-32 mpg indicated. I don't drive it in eco mode because its sluggish, instead I prefer to put it in Sport mode which moves the shift points and on the George Bush Tollway if you do 70 mph you'll get run over (like 80 mph is about the flow of traffic) As for the reduction in hp, it was reduced but torque was significantly improved and the car makes better power under the curve. The turbo spools up at a lower rpm so there is hardly any turbo lag. If I have it in sport mode with traction control off and punch it at the light, I get a first and second gear scratch. (I only use 93 octane there is a definite difference)If that isn't enough there are several tunes you can get that boost hp and tq but 50-60. An added bonus is that even though I got mine used I have a lifetime engine warranty, and my basic warranty is good until mar 2022 or 60k
I don't entirely trust myself not to spend money tuning and modding a 2.0 or up. I already checked to see if HP Tuners for the Veloster would work for the 1.6T in the bigger vehicles.

I know modding the Cruze will be pointless because there are no aftermarket injectors, and no one has even tried to convert it to flexfuel that I can tell despite it being possible in the ECU. Flex fuel would make upping the octane easy, but at the expense of MPG.

Last edited:
Family's always had excellent experience with HyunKias. Daughter's doing ok with with an LS first gen Cruze with the base engine but the 1.4 turbo I had in an Encore was throwing troublesome codes when I totaled it at just under 100k.

I’m assuming the 09 Sonata is not one of Hyundai’s engines that suffers from their oil consumption/lower bearing campaign. And if so, I like Hyundai, they’ve come a long way. I find these cars to be super reliable. Shops all around my area say the same thing...we don’t do anything to these Hyundai’s and Kia’s, just maintenance, tires and brakes. I have seen some pretty rusted out - subframes - but I believe there was a campaign for that too at one point. I have heard from multiple people that they are not good in the snow (for a front wheel drive car) and this is coming from experienced winter drivers. But if where You live doesn’t get snow...I would definitely chose the Sonata over the Cruz.

Someone mentioned a few different Toyota’s...definitely have that boring appliance feel/look, but man I’ll tell yeah...it’s true what they say. Those cars are just built right. They really are. They are made to be pounded and just keep on going with very minimal repair. I’ve never seen anything like Toyota’s, in terms of quality and almost over-engineering and build. I’ve never seen cars get neglected and abused like I see family hauling Toyota’s. And they just reward those under deserving owners for 100’s of thousand of miles. And the ones that do take care of them, save $1,000’s of dollars longterm with these things. I think the Honda’s look and drive better, but they seem to have taken a dip in reliability.

Family's always had excellent experience with HyunKias. Daughter's doing ok with with an LS first gen Cruze with the base engine but the 1.4 turbo I had in an Encore was throwing troublesome codes when I totaled it at just under 100k.
I have the LUJ in a 2012. Coolant and oil issues are common. They seem to have gone away with the LE2 in the 2nd gen Cruze and top level Encore. I was surprised to find a PCV fix installed on mine when I bought it at the dealer. The PCV system is bad from stock, requiring replacement valve cover and intake manifold if it goes bad.

I’m assuming the 09 Sonata is not one of Hyundai’s engines that suffers from their oil consumption/lower bearing campaign. And if so, I like Hyundai, they’ve come a long way. I find these cars to be super reliable. Shops all around my area say the same thing...we don’t do anything to these Hyundai’s and Kia’s, just maintenance, tires and brakes. I have seen some pretty rusted out - subframes - but I believe there was a campaign for that too at one point. I have heard from multiple people that they are not good in the snow (for a front wheel drive car) and this is coming from experienced winter drivers. But if where You live doesn’t get snow...I would definitely chose the Sonata over the Cruz.

Someone mentioned a few different Toyota’s...definitely have that boring appliance feel/look, but man I’ll tell yeah...it’s true what they say. Those cars are just built right. They really are. They are made to be pounded and just keep on going with very minimal repair. I’ve never seen anything like Toyota’s, in terms of quality and almost over-engineering and build. I’ve never seen cars get neglected and abused like I see family hauling Toyota’s. And they just reward those under deserving owners for 100’s of thousand of miles. And the ones that do take care of them, save $1,000’s of dollars longterm with these things. I think the Honda’s look and drive better, but they seem to have taken a dip in reliability.

The 2009 had the port injection 2.4 or 3.3

There are only a few Toyotas that do anything for me in my price and preference range. I am willing to spend more to see something not disappointing in the parking lot.

The Cruze can be serviced at most any indy shop, not so sure about the Hyundai. With that said, a Kia Optima Hybrid I'm selling with less miles than that ECO and better gas mileage, is almost as cheap.

My current driving cycle is not conducive to hybrids from my reading and discussing of it. Does the Optima hybrid engine start up when you "start" the car? My current vehicles barely get up to water temp in the summer, so I don't know how much of a hybrid it would be if the ICE engine on the hybrid is running the entire time I'm driving.

girlfriends preowned 18 optima 2.4 has been flawless, roomy, peppy + good mpgs! only oil changes so far! whatever you get remember simpler is better aka NO turbo! No Di is almost impossible but a thought. lo mile cars cost more but can be better in the long run, good luck + shopping away from your home area can save $$$$ as well. many Hyindais are Kias + vice versa with looks the only difference

What kind of MPG does she get?

The 2.4 Hyundais are pretty cheap.

Something wrong with that if so cheap. One sentence description. Minimal photos. I'm thinking rebuilt salvage. Or maybe he is a dealer and just want's to flip it quick from the auction. If it checks out, it's a great deal.

Something wrong with that if so cheap. One sentence description. Minimal photos. I'm thinking rebuilt salvage. Or maybe he is a dealer and just want's to flip it quick from the auction. If it checks out, it's a great deal.
Just asked. Got a snarky, it's a $16K car for 10K. What did you expect?

The 2.4 Hyundais are pretty cheap.

There is a reason. We were behind a model just like that yesterday billowing blue smoke from the exhaust. Though is the lifetime engine warranty applies it makes a little more sense. I like to have pride of ownership personally, Hyundai just doesn't do that for me.

How do you know it didn't have 300,000 miles on it?
Because they don't last that long?

In all seriousness though, what is more likely to cause the oil burn? A late model Hyundai already having 300,000 miles of wear on it? Or a well known and documented engine defect causing it to fail? I think we both know the answer. It's not a mystery.

Because they don't last that long?

In all seriousness though, what is more likely to cause the oil burn? A late model Hyundai already having 300,000 miles of wear on it? Or a well known and documented engine defect causing it to fail? I think we both know the answer. It's not a mystery.

Mine was running fine at 292K when I sold it. Maybe you were following one with 400,000 miles?

large.jpg

Could have been someone who just did a “sea foam treatment” or some other garbage. I saw a KIA Optima driving about two years ago blowing smoke out the tail pipe and thought a new car (it was a 2019 model) shouldn’t be blowing smoke.

Low and behold we both turned into the QT gas station and I pulled in behind him. I kindly told him he might want to get his car checked out because it was blowing smoke. The owner responded telling me he had just done a seafoam treatment.

Last edited:
Back