Status
Not open for further replies.
I started thinking about how prices have gone up, jobs have gone overseas and how affordable healthcare is a fantasy. Then I started recalling 1965.

In 1965, my father bought a 25 inch, RCA color television set. It was a fine piece of furniture with a TV inside. Very few television programs were broadcast in color and to my knowledge, we were the only family on the block to have a color TV set.

The cost was 725 bucks and the old man paid cash for it. It had VHF and UHF and there were 7 VHF braodcast channels in the NYC metro area and 2 or 3 UHF (who watched them?).There was no broadcast after 2 AM I believe. The TV had no remote control, had cathode ray tubes which needed replacement from time to time (expensive proposition). Although it had automatic fine tuning, that didn't mean you wouldn't have a vertical or horizontal issue from time to time. Given that we we weren't wealthy by any standard, I don't know how the old man bought it? My brother was finishing law school and I had 2 sisters in college and one about to enter.

I'd imagine, if you bought a TV with such features today, it might cost 25 bucks. Just about every family in the U.S. has an appliance that's better than this TV, but 40 something years ago, few could afford it. I'd imagine that if we were forced to watch only TVs made in America, few could still afford them.

We didn't have family health insurance. If we went to see a doctor, we paid. It probably costs a couple of dollars for a visit and teh neighborhood doctor might have had one person working with him. The woman probably made sure that the tongue depressors in the glass jar were always filled, and there was enough gauze and tape on hand. He didn't have a staff to keep charts or bill insurance companies, medicare, etc. Most diagnosis were that was a fever that few aspirin would cure. There were few miracle drugs, save pennicillin. I don't remember malpractice or mis-diagnosis being a hot topic at the time. The same degree of healthcare today can be self administered at about the same cost.

When a NYC office was depicted in movies, you often saw switcboard operators as well. I can imagine what the internet would be like if we relied on a solid job like a switchboard operator to be the nuits and bolts behind it. Long distance or overseas phone calls were rare.

A pair of blue jeans cost between 10 and 14 dollars, much like you can buy a pair today at a discount store. I'd imagine if you could only buy a pair of jeans made in the USA today, you would probably pay 80 or 90 dollars. That's just a guess.

Gasoline was leaded and regular gasoline sold for about 25 -30 cents a gallon. I think most of the oil came from the US but that's mostly gone. There is still some oil in shale and hard to get oil and if we used only crude that came from US soil, I'd imagine that it would cost 7 or eight hundred dollrs a barrel. Just a guess, it might be more. Those oil field workers who lost their jobs to foreign oil drillers might think it's a good idea.

If you were a white male with a college degree the world was your oyster. Women were kept from advancing in most endeavors and they rarely tried to enter most fields. Women were teachers, nurses or housewives. I'm sure most women would like to return tro the good old days. I won't mentiom the vast opportunities that were presented for minorities as there were colleges and universities in the US which prohibited minorities from entering. Black colleges were really the road to opportunity for many. There were few entertainers who were black as they were difficult to sell.

It was still a great place to be a middle class white man. No one was pushing you for your job, certainly no women. The information age was not yet upon us. There was little competition from abroad as Europe was not yet totally re-tooled from the war. There had not yet been much post war inflation. A lot of people would like to return to those days, those days are not returning. Blame all the foreigners, multinationals, or discounters. Never, ever point that finger of blame inward. It's not what we've been programmed to do.

I remember my Dad telling me to wear my worst pair of jeans with holes in them(all my jeans had patches) when I went to the dentist so he would think we were poor and not charge as much.

Our TV was black and white and the entire family - all seven of us - sat in front of it to watch, every Saturday night. It wasn't on much any other time.

I was 10 at the time. Ground beef was 3 lb for a $1. Minimum wage was about a dollar. Today minimum wage is $6.75. Ground beef is $3 a pound. Tell me who is winning the war.

Oh well, at least we can now talk about it on our cell phones. The greatest scrouge ever unleashed upon the human race. Nothing else matters, users will walk right into you and it is your fault, because you were not looking out for them. Go figure.

Back to 1965. Andy Griffith was on TV, Thanks to Post Toasties.
Ward and June were about finished raising Wally and the Beaver. Growing up in Central Missouri, live was very BORING. There were Catholic church Sunday picnics, were everyone pigged out on all you inhale German pot roast, fried chicken, mashed taters, green beans and corn, and a piece of pie baked by the good ladies of the parish.

Our Family car was a 1959 Ford 2door sedan, 6cyl with a genuine 3 on the tree. Mom could jam gears with the best of them.

Our tv was B&W until cable hit the great metropolis of Jefferson City. I think our first color set was 17in IIRC.

Learned to drive in a 1968 Ford Galaxie 4 door, 302 2-V, with a 3 speed auto. The car survived 3 young drivers and then the neighbor bought it and put another 125K on it.

More misc ramblings later. Dinner is ready.

We also had nukes and polio vaccine. The rise in troops to VN was just starting. Watts riots, Selma.
First spacewalks, first commercial communications satellite.
Nader publishes "Unsafe at Any Speed"
Voting Rights Act

A new immigration act signed into law by President Johnson October 3 at the Statue of Liberty in New York Harbor abolishes the national origins quota system of 1924 that was reiterated in 1952; it permits entry by any alien who meets qualifications of education and skill, regardless of race or country of origin, provided that such entry will not jeopardize the job of an American. The act imposes an overall limit of 120,000 visas per year for Western Hemisphere countries and 170,000 per year for the rest of the world, but immediate relatives of U.S. citizens may enter without regard to these limits.

We had a black and white TV. Dad bought a thin plastic sheet that you taped over the front of the picture tube. The top third of the plastic was tinted blue, the middle was tinted a kind of light orange, the bottom green.

Wa-lah! Color TV! The sky was blue, people were sorta peach, and the grass was green! I'm serious. Think maybe he found it at G C Murphy, but can't remember for sure.

grin2.gif

Doctor office calls $5. Being retired Army, many of our expenses were covered by CHAMPUS, and we never hit the first deductible in the whole year. Try that sometime today.

Northern toilet tissue 5 cents per roll

Bus fare 15 cents

"In 1965, I was 4 years old. Nothing much concerned me except playing in the edge of the ocean across from our house and wrestling with my dog."
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Then you saw that little Asian girl.

Originally Posted By: GROUCHO MARX
"In 1965, I was 4 years old. Nothing much concerned me except playing in the edge of the ocean across from our house and wrestling with my dog."
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Then you saw that little Asian girl.

...and that was it!
Actually, where I grew up, I didn't see a real live Asian girl until I was in 7th grade. Naturally, she became my girlfriend. For about 3 weeks.

I was 7. A fat Asian girl pushed me into a just painted steel door....and somehow it was my fault that I ruined the paint job AND my clothes. We had a TV, but it wasn't color for a couple more years.

I could never figure out why on any given weekday the NYSE had so many "chairs" traded. In the summer we begged to swim in the neighbor's pool. In the winter it rained once or twice in So Cal and thought I was cold! My mom was working on her Master's degree - obviously a liberated woman.

I'm sure I have few false memories about hating LBJ, but I can't remember.

Originally Posted By: GROUCHO MARX
In 1965 OCIs were 1500 miles.

Proto-BITOGERS were already running 3000 miles on Delo diesel oil.

1965...Don't remember much of it. Still had another year and a quarter before I was in that warm dark place.

in 1965, I wasn't born yet. My dad was 21 and about to enlist in the United States Navy from Manila, Philippines. He met my mom in Long Beach, California in 1968 and I was born nine years later. They are still married today for nearly 40 years

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: XS650

Proto-BITOGERS were already running 3000 miles on Delo diesel oil.

LOL.gif

I can almost see them, dragging their hairy knuckles on the ground, dim, ape-like thoughts of doing even further extended OCIs flickering in their primitive brains.

In '65, I was finishing grammar school and starting 7th grade. "The Man from U.N.C.L.E." was the most famous TV show in the world; "Star Trek" hadn't appeared yet.

Groucho, I went to "How Much Is That Worth Today" and checked your dad's $725.00. The equivalent purchasing power in 2006 would be $4631.18. I don't think even LCD TVs cost that much today. (Or do they?)

But yes, our world has changed, and not always for the better. We have cheaper electronics, but house and car prices are out of the range of the average consumer unless he shoulders a boxcar of debt. Our cars are more reliable, but the improvement in car and truck fuel mileage hasn't kept pace with what it costs to buy one gallon of the liquid gold. Crowds, lack of personal privacy, illegal invaders . . . the list goes on and on.

I still think 1962 was the best year -- before Vietnam, assassinations, violent protests, gas crunches, a president who resigned, another who was never elected, inflation, and radical feminism.

(I ordered that darn time machine two years ago, and HP still hasn't delivered!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back