Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Papa Bear
SKUNKY, you could have come up and lived in Canada with me ...

We were building some cool cars at the Chrysler Windsor Assembly plant in '65.
thumbsup2.gif

Thanks Papa...I was making big money then...$65.00/month...free food and roof....

I was in high school back then. Greased back hair (Brylcream sp?)
was the norm along with pointed shoes and white Levis. Smoking dope was unheard of in those innocent days.

Mowing yards in the summer paid about $5.00 per yard and I felt wealthy when I had $20! Texaco 100 octane leaded gas was .25 a gallon and three or four dollars worth filled up any car.....not to mention all the services provided when they were "service" stations not gas stations.

I went to a PUBLIC school back in the day and among other rules, girls were forbidden to wear jeans or pants unless the temperature outside was 32 or below. In east Texas, it wasn't all that often. As for us boys, I had a friend sent home for wearing a white t-shirt. The principal told him he wasn't allowed to wear underwear as clothes. Just look at what's being worn to school today!

Dad had a 1959 Rambler Ambassador. 4 door. Pink. Really, really pink. Huge fins. Reflectors on the end of the fins. Push button automatic transmission. Foot pump powered windshield washer. The more you pumped it, the better the pressure. 327 V-8. Cool car.

grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: Footpounds
Just look at what's being worn to school today!

The visible thong will hardly get you sent home these days! And the guys with their pants around their ankles like they came in 2nd in a photo finish to the can...

In '65 I was in kindergarten. I can still remember how transistor radios were a BIG thing (I actually won one in a church contest a year or so later). We had an RCA Victor black-and-white television which the cat just loved because of the warmth from the vacuum tubes and it always had that little white dot staring at you for about 30 seconds when you shut it off.

My dad was a longshoreman and mom was a private nurse... Dad drove a '55 Pontiac which had a four-speed auto trans (Roto-Hydramatic?)...

Candy bars were a dime except at "Gyppy Joe's" local store (real close to school and that's what his store was known as back then- possibly not PC today) where he charged 11 cents.

Soda pop bottles were RETURNABLE!

Originally Posted By: Footpounds
[SNIP] As for us boys, I had a friend sent home for wearing a white t-shirt. [/SNIP]

That almost happened to me in fifth grade, I reckon I was trying to push the envelope. The teacher let me stay though.

Originally Posted By: Oldmoparguy1
In 65 I put a trailer hitch on my 10 month old GTO, loaded my all my worldly goods in a 12' U-Haul and moved back to Michigan from Calif..

I bet you anything that Uhaul is still in service.
grin2.gif

Still lived at home, going to College ($600/year). My summer job netted me 2000 bucks. I worked as a quarry driller helper drilling dynamite holes. Had a girlfriend. Life was good.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Originally Posted By: Oldmoparguy1
In 65 I put a trailer hitch on my 10 month old GTO, loaded my all my worldly goods in a 12' U-Haul and moved back to Michigan from Calif..

I bet you anything that Uhaul is still in service.
grin2.gif

With the original tires!

In NOV of '65, I was in a dentist chair getting a tooth pulled. The lights flickered and went out. The dentist finished the job with his assistant holding a flashlight. The power outage was the Great NE Blackout. ' Member that Groucho ?

Originally Posted By: GROUCHO MARX
I remember the blackout. The next day at school they insisted that we should have studied by candlelight and they administered all scheduled tests.
spankme2.gif

Well, you are not supposed to study just one day before a test, cramming everything into your short term memory.
grin2.gif

"Well, you are not supposed to study just one day before a test, cramming everything into your short term memory."
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If I did that, I wouldn't be president and CEO of the Procrastinators Club.

You're a procrastinating psychic? When can you tell us if something terrible will happen to Pablo while on vacation?

I was one, born in W.Phila during the race riots. Things have improved, except for that MOVE thing. First TV show I remeber was Jetsons and something called "Dialing for Dollars".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back