19 Ram V6 oil change.

Singling out these single examples of durability are not really good examples. There are plenty of Priuses that also went 300K+ on their original hybrid battery as well. But these high-mileage examples in fleet vehicles are not representative of the typical driver. Failure patterns can be very different.
It is also not good to generalize and say these engines are overworked in Rams when they actually have a very good reputation in every platform in which they are used.

It is an outstanding engine with an industry wide reputation for reliability and durability in every application in which it is used.

But a weak overstressed engine is not going to go 625k in any commercial application. So I think it is a very good example, given the statement to which I was responding.

My dad has a Ram classic with the 3.6 and 4wd. Plenty of pep. He pulls his pontoon with no issue. As others have stated these V6's have the same power as V8's of a generation or two ago, and their lighter.

I've not looked at the bearings on these engines, but I wonder if it's overstressed, even at high loading. Some people think WOT is always abuse.

I sometimes wonder if an engine swap can be paid for out of mpg savings, for a given setup. Not sure about this case, since I don't remember what the mpg difference is, epa or real world.

My past job had pentastar v6’s in the fleet our garage mechanic used 5w20 with wix or napa filters.

Jeepers! Three pages of silly arguments over a simple question.

Yes, I am aware aquariuscsm has done the O.C on the truck; he is a Pro BITOG'er so I had faith all along :)

From the Amsoil page that took me 10 seconds to look up:

2019 Ram 1500 PICKUP
3.6L 6 -cyl Engine [G] ERG

Viscosity: 0W-20 (All TEMPS)
Capacity: 5 quarts. . . . (with filter)After refill check oil level.
Torque: 20 ft/lbs (Oil Drain Plug)

I've not looked at the bearings on these engines, but I wonder if it's overstressed, even at high loading. Some people think WOT is always abuse.

I sometimes wonder if an engine swap can be paid for out of mpg savings, for a given setup. Not sure about this case, since I don't remember what the mpg difference is, epa or real world.
Two things. First, the main bearings on the Pentastar are large and stout. It was originally designed for forced induction and DI, so it was made to handle more stress than it experiences in its current form. Second, WOT is good for a Pentastar's longevity, as the oil in the valve stems can dry out. WOT runs throw fresh oil back up into them. So don't be afraid to rip this thing. It likes it. It is good for it.

I have this on good authority from a Bitog member who happens to have been on the Pentastar design team. You can probably search and find much more detail about these things.

So, this engine is not overstressed or overmatched by the Ram or anything else in which it resides. It is a stout, reliable, and durable design that has been proven more than just about any other engine. There are more than 11 million, maybe even 12 million, by now, that have been produced. It does just fine being run hard. It loves to rev and pulls harder and harder the higher you go. The newest version (and maybe the previous, too) has a particular kick in the pants as you pass through 4500 and it lasts all the way to red line. Even right at 6500, the thing feels like it could just keep going, but the computer obviously won't let it. Mine's been there many a time. It is particularly hard to keep your foot out of it when paired with a manual transmission.

And in a Jeep or Ram, it makes for one of the easiest oil changes you'll ever see, with plenty of room to get underneath, a top side cartridge filter that is located front and center, and the latest versions only requiring 1 five quart jug of oil. Easy. Peasy. Cheap, and not very messy.

Let's not put this engine on too much of a pedestal. It is a good engine but it is not flawless. Oil cooler failures, oil pressure switch failures and rocker arm failures are pretty major issues they have. They are fixable of course, but the engines are not what I would call bulletproof.

Let's not put this engine on too much of a pedestal. It is a good engine but it is not flawless. Oil cooler failures, oil pressure switch failures and rocker arm failures are pretty major issues they have. They are fixable of course, but the engines are not what I would call bulletproof.

Lol, Some BITOGers take everything as extreme. Unreal.

Me: The weather is very hot today.

You: Quit saying it is so hot. Yes, it is warm, but It isn't that hot. It is not technically a record. It is really just mildly warm. But pretty warm, noneththeless, but not hellfire warm. But sometimes, on occasion, it can be cool. Or even cold. But not as cold as Uranus.

Glad you could clear that up for us all and firmly plant your stake in the middle ground. It must be very comfortable there. "It is a good engine, but not flawless." "They are flexible, of course, but not bulletproof."

I don't know whether to chuckle or face-palm.

You: Quit saying it is so hot. Yes, it is warm, but It isn't that hot. It is not technically a record. It is really just mildly warm. But pretty warm, noneththeless, but not hellfire warm. But sometimes, on occasion, it can be cool. Or even cold. But not as cold as Uranus.

Glad you could clear that up for us all and firmly plant your stake in the middle ground. It must be very comfortable there. "It is a good engine, but not flawless." "They are flexible, of course, but not bulletproof."

How about addressing the issues at hand as opposed to taking what I said entirely out of context? Your second quote of what I said is not even accurate. The bottom end of the engine is robust. The rest, I am not convinced. You were gushing all over this thing like it is flawless.

I have owned one since new for 115k, it appears you have experience with them too. All of those things I previously mentioned, I have had to fix, along with hundreds of thousands to millions of other people. In addition to those, I have also had to change the pressure switching solenoid in the oil pump itself, which I did not mention previously because it is less common of a failure point.

I didn't even mention the early head problems of the '11 and '12's because it was later fixed. The engine also sounds like a clattery mess upon cold startup.

My apologies for sending some valid criticism towards your baby, I guess.

Last edited:
The ZF Ram transmission is light years of anything Ford makes
I wouldn't doubt that.
But, are you intentionally aiming your reply specifically at me because I drive a Ford F150? I could care less about Fords transmissions. As long as it carries my rear end forward and backwards when I shift it into said gears..............;)

Tomato, Tuhmotto...............:rolleyes: 🤭 🤦‍♂️ <--- face-palm

How about addressing the issues at hand as opposed to taking what I said entirely out of context? Your second quote of what I said is not even accurate. The bottom end of the engine is robust. The rest, I am not convinced. You were gushing all over this thing like it is flawless.

I have owned one since new for 115k, it appears you have experience with them too. All of those things I previously mentioned, I have had to fix, along with hundreds of thousands to millions of other people. In addition to those, I have also had to change the pressure switching solenoid in the oil pump itself, which I did not mention previously because it is less common of a failure point.

I didn't even mention the early head problems of the '11 and '12's because it was later fixed. The engine also sounds like a clattery mess upon cold startup.

My apologies for sending some valid criticism towards your baby, I gues

I've got all kinds of reasons for my opinion that it is an outstanding engine. I don't feel the need to lay them all out to you because I don't care that much. But I never said they were perfect. That was you, my friend, grabbing what I said and taking it the distance.

I'm going to say it again, because I just can't seem to stop myself.....It's a great engine.

Back