19 Ram V6 oil change.

that truck is not overworking that Pentastar
Did you actually own, or at least drive a RAM 1500 Crew Cab with a 3.6 V6 Pentastar engine? The motor and ZF8 8HP45 are straight out of the Charger/Challenger/300. In the RAM 1500s the same RWD transmission is used as in the sedans, and in the 4WD version they hook up a transfer case to the rear of it. I serviced my truck from bumper to bumper, so I am familiar with how it's built. So yes, that little 3.6 Pentastar is overworked, even when lugging around an empty truck.

It looks like the bottom one.

That's the DT model, the newest one. It takes 5 quarts of 0W-20. That new Pentastar has friction-reducing coatings inside, so you can safely use 0W-20 in it. Use one of the major brands, PUP 0W-20 or M1 EP 0W-20.

Did you actually own, or at least drive a RAM 1500 Crew Cab with a 3.6 V6 Pentastar engine? The motor and ZF8 8HP45 are straight out of the Charger/Challenger/300. In the RAM 1500s the same RWD transmission is used as in the sedans, and in the 4WD version they hook up a transfer case to the rear of it. I serviced my truck from bumper to bumper, so I am familiar with how it's built. So yes, that little 3.6 Pentastar is overworked, even when lugging around an empty truck.
Yeah, I work in the car business and have seen tons of Pentastar V6 Rams (work trucks at that) with plenty of miles on them. I've seen them at auctions in Little Rock, Tulsa, and Dallas with 100-150k+ miles on them and they still drive out just fine. The Tradesman used to come standard with a 5.7l (Like mine) and then they went to the 3.6l standard and they seem to do just fine.
That engine is as stout as any old V8 from the past that used to lug around heavy Trucks and vans just fine. Anyway, that's just my personal opinion. Cheers. 🍻

Yeah, I work in the car business and have seen tons of Pentastar V6 Rams (work trucks at that) with plenty of miles on them. I've seen them at auctions in Little Rock, Tulsa, and Dallas with 100-150k+ miles on them and they still drive out just fine. The Tradesman used to come standard with a 5.7l (Like mine) and then they went to the 3.6l standard and they seem to do just fine.
That engine is as stout as any old V8 from the past that used to lug around heavy Trucks and vans just fine. Anyway, that's just my personal opinion. Cheers. 🍻

I tend to use oils with higher HTHS than recommended for additional wear protection. In the real world, they have no downside, as I'm not operating my vehicles on an EPA fuel economy test cycle. However, I get your point and you're right. Due to how the current economic climate is, I tend to be more cautious with everything I do, including vehicle maintenance. That's where my recommendations come from.

Still, it's an overworked sedan motor lugging around 6,000 lbs of truck. I would definitively run 5W-30 or 0W-40 in a situation like that. The difference between 5W-30 and 0W-20 is so minimal, but the wear protection is there.
Lol, right. There was a Promaster commercial van with this engine that ran 625k miles on 7k OCI's with M1 and Valvoline 5w20. It's not such a fragile engine.

It does just fine in the Ram and every other application in which it is used. The guys I know with them in their Rams like them a lot.

We did the change this afternoon. Went with PP 0W-20 and an oem Mopar oil filter. First time I've ever changed a cartridge filter. Filter is also on top. Really easy to access and change.

Lol, right. There was a Promaster commercial van with this engine that ran 625k miles on 7k OCI's with M1 and Valvoline 5w20. It's not such a fragile engine.
Singling out these single examples of durability are not really good examples. There are plenty of Priuses that also went 300K+ on their original hybrid battery as well. But these high-mileage examples in fleet vehicles are not representative of the typical driver. Failure patterns can be very different.

The ONLY time a Dodge, RAM, truck was worth anything. Why? Because of German engineering.
The transmission and steering rack on my Ram are from ZF, so there is still some German in its DNA. With that said, I bought it because it was the cheapest new full-size truck I could buy.

The transmission and steering rack on my Ram are from ZF, so there is still some German in its DNA. With that said, I bought it because it was the cheapest new full-size truck I could buy.

That's exactly the same reason why I got mine. The brake system is also made by ZF in the RAM 1500. Well, it's TRW, which is owned by ZF: https://www.trwaftermarket.com/us/

Look at the bottom of the page.

I guess RAM couldn't build that truck without ZF, lol.

Back