15" Wheels on Lots of New VW Cars in Showroom

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder
Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
The 15s are cheaper and ride nicer. Everyone wins.

Everyone except the buyers who want it to look sporty and handle well.

Handling isn't perfectly correlated to sidewall height, the tire's compound and construction makes much more of a difference.
Sticky tires aren't commonly available in 60 or 65 profile, but if they were its not a bad compromise. Good ultimate grip with a better ride.

Maybe VW engineers have seen this?

effects-of-upsized-wheels-and-tires-tested-chart-678-photo-568637-s-original.jpg

Originally Posted By: Nebroch

effects-of-upsized-wheels-and-tires-tested-chart-678-photo-568637-s-original.jpg

Makes sense. Demand for better gas mileage and ride in the US trumps handling.

Originally Posted By: Padawan
Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder
Everyone except the buyers who want it to look sporty and handle well.

I think this managed to tick both of those boxes pretty well with factory 15" wheels.

gallery-1445869036-roa110115dpt-bootcolin1.jpg

I've got the same size 195/55R15 tires on the Focus for the summer and they do look a bit small in the wheel well, but I don't care as they do make the car a bit quicker for autocross(gear reduction, less corner weight, and lowering).

I was shocked too! So I went back and looked and that was a different guy. Why multiple poster attributed that quote to you, I have no idea. I never thought of you as somebody living in your mom's basement :)

WOW.

New 2016 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan 4dr Manual 1.4T S Sedan
Final Price: $14,000

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
I prefer 15s or anything with 60-65 sidewall for a daily driver. I see too many new-ish cars with big rims riding on bold tires. I guess many people want that expensive look, but in reality can't afford it.

60-65 series on 15-16" for family sedan are about perfect. No family sedan should have 18" or even 19" wheel and 35-40 series tire. Sport sedan/coupe such as BMW M-Sport or MB AMG are different, they need 17" or larger and aspect ratio of 50 or less.

PS Mazda 6 and Accord have 19" optional, who wants those wheels on family sedan ?

Last edited:
My apologies. I HATE large wheels so much I lashed out like an insane animal.

I tried copying and pasting several posts then editing out all but what I wanted to address.

I was taking it all too seriously. My friends are saddled with 18" wheels and I'm in constant pain over it.

Stupid (my opinion) wheels are just one example of what makes cars cost more than they have to.

Sorry

I would have never guessed there would be a 2 mpg difference. My Mustang has 19" tires and while they look and handle good, the ride is rough.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
I prefer 15s or anything with 60-65 sidewall for a daily driver. I see too many new-ish cars with big rims riding on bold tires. I guess many people want that expensive look, but in reality can't afford it.

Either on bold or Chinese no name tyres.

I wish I could get 16" wheels and higher-profile tires on the Buick Regal, I mean from the factory. They only come with 18", 19", and on the GS model, I think, 20". These people have never driven in the Third World environment that I have to, or they'd go for a nicer ride, at least on a daily driver.

Got 4 vehicles:
1x20
2x18
1x17
Yeah, the 17 the oldest and does the dirty work off-road etc - and 17 is the only set not damaged.

I'm glad VW have seen sense.

The fad for ultra low profile tyres had gone much too far. I know the manufacturers were supposedly pandering to buyers tastes but it was as if the only people buying new cars were 14 year olds who couldn't see past the "look".

Having owned my last car for 21 years I had something of a time warp experience when moving to a new one. Sure they handle better but the ride of most new cars is truly appalling. And the thing is today's buyers don't seem to realise how bad the ride is because they have never experienced a car that rides well. I ended up with a Blue Efficiency model with relatively skinny 195/60 R16's. It's still firm but rides better than the models with lower profile tyres.

Originally Posted By: Bgallagher
Cutting cost considering the millions and millions they are paying in lawsuits to the EPA.

Yes and next year they might upgrade those rims to 14 inches. Lol

With higher beltlines for "safety" and higher trunks to make our sedans into Kammbacks, even a 18" wheel can appear diminutive. On some vehicles (cough, Caddy ATS and CTS, cough), even a 20" wheel still doesn't look large enough to go with the rest of the car's visual bulk. Add in folks wanting the "sporty" look, and here we are.

Nice to see a maker making smaller wheels with cheaper tires. Although some of those cars will appear to be running around on "tiny" wheels that were large enough 10 years ago.

Am I the only one seeing the improved 0 to 60 time??????

Originally Posted By: Silverado12

I would have never guessed there would be a 2 mpg difference. My Mustang has 19" tires and while they look and handle good, the ride is rough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back