10,000 mile oil change interval??

Status
Not open for further replies.
My son bought a 2008 Audi A with the 3.2 v-6 engine approx. 60,000 mile on the car.

He put in a fresh change of oil and filter using 7 quarts of Mobil 1 0w40 European Formula.
The owners manual states a 10k OCI which seems pretty long.....he was thinking about changing every 7500 miles.

I told him I would put a post on here to see what the consensus is........

Depends on operating conditions. 10K is doable, especially with a fairly large sump, and M1 0w-40 is certainly up to the task.

But if he's mainly short tripping and/or it's going to take him 2-3 years to get to 10K miles, then I'd rethink it.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Depends on operating conditions. 10K is doable, especially with a fairly large sump, and M1 0w-40 is certainly up to the task.

But if he's mainly short tripping and/or it's going to take him 2-3 years to get to 10K miles, then I'd rethink it.

He will probably hit 10k every six months or so.

Depends on the type of miles. If he's delivering mail as a rural route carrier or seeing 25 mile highway commutes to work with little traffic.

UOA is what I would suggest, one at 7,500 miles and if that is OK with plenty of TBN room, low metals and low shear, push next one to 10,000 and work your way up.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: fins
He will probably hit 10k every six months or so.

If that means fair amount of hwy driving, then I'd say it's fine. If you're worried, have him do a UOA at 10K just to see how spent the oil is at that point. I know it's a DI engine, so maybe not the easiest on the oil.

I am runninga 2013 VW Passat TDI, mostly long distance highway miles. It still has the factory fill of Castrol LL03 and I will have it changed at 10,000 miles. The VW 507.00 standard is based for European diesel cars for changes up to 30,000 km, I believe, so 10,000 miles should be easy to do. Most of the European oils out there are set up for those longer changes. However, the higher sulfur levels in gasoline here can negate some of that.

Quoted for truth.

If he does decent miles and uses a good oil, 10k miles is no problem. If he drives like a soccer mom, 10k miles could be a problem. Doing 20k miles every year he will likely have no issues with going the full OCI.

If he's interested in doing UOAs, he may find that 10k miles is very conservative for his driving patterns and oil/filter choices.

10k every 6 months sounds fine. That must be pretty close to being all highway.

I'd guess he might be close to the oils limits by that time, so doing a UOA like already mentioned is probably a very good idea.

I'm guessing that Audi calls for VW 502.01, which is specifically a long-life standard that generally calls for synthetic 5w-40 oils, the 10,000 mile OCI should be fine.

Also, I wouldn't worry too hard about the time to get to 10,000 either. There are quite a few long-time high mileage UOAs posted that are just fine, which implies that time-in-engine isn't a particularly big deal with modern synthetics.

Originally Posted By: mark pruett
Also, I wouldn't worry too hard about the time to get to 10,000 either. There are quite a few long-time high mileage UOAs posted that are just fine, which implies that time-in-engine isn't a particularly big deal with modern synthetics.

While it's true in some cases, it certainly wasn't true in mine. After 16 months and 6K miles in service, my oil was pretty much shot. And my engine has a large sump and is not DI.

Still, it seems the OP's operating conditions are a lot different/easier, so it's a moot point.

I did 10k mile OCIs on all my vehicles when I drove 25,000m per year. I did find different oils held up better. this was a while ago. M1 5-30 always sheared down, but M1 10-30 was durable.

I do 8k OCIs in my truck-- PP or Castrol, 10-30, with tow duty. Runs great, doesn't get noisy, doesn't consume.

sump size matters. We had a nissan 3.5L v6 that only held 4.5qts with the filter. even with a good oil, it'd get noisy at 11,000 miles, where the others could keep going without any noticeable changes. I went up to 14k on M1 10-30 under these conditions.

never did a uoa. just knew how my cars ran, how they sounded, how they felt, and what they consumed. it was a subaru 2.2 that accumulated the most this way, as well as the pathfinder, and later a chryco 3.3.

Short triping--- once I moved... had the chrysler 3.3 then--- it couldn't make it past 6k miles before the tone of the engine would change. So 10k intervals def not good for short trip driving, for me.

I log about 14k a year now. Past 2 vehicles I've gone 7-8k OCI on synthetics. never had any trouble...

Originally Posted By: ctrcbob
Of course, the synthetics in Europe are group 4 or 5 full synthetics, not the group 3 that most synthetics are in the USA.

1. Not really the case anymore. Plenty of group 3 stuff in Europe as well, including the beloved M1 0w-40.

2. The whole group thing is irrelevant. Meeting particular mfg specs is what's relevant.

3. Gasoline is of higher quality in Europe which helps the oil not degrade as quickly.

4. Engines are tuned differently in Europe to meet different emissions standards. This affects the oil to some extent, too.

Originally Posted By: mark pruett

While it's true in some cases, it certainly wasn't true in mine. After 16 months and 6K miles in service, my oil was pretty much shot. And my engine has a large sump and is not DI.

Still, it seems the OP's operating conditions are a lot different/easier, so it's a moot point.

Did you post that UOA? Would like to see what the oil was and what the condemnation element was. Time deterioration is certainly unusual in the UOAs I've studied so I'd like to see what it looks like.

To answer the OP, I concur with Pete and others that a 10K OCI is very doable in the situation you described. You'd be wasting the oil if you did any less!

Originally Posted By: Jim Allen
Did you post that UOA? Would like to see what the oil was and what the condemnation element was. Time deterioration is certainly unusual in the UOAs I've studied so I'd like to see what it looks like.

Lab condemned it based on high TAN/TBN ratio... Not sure I necessarily agree, but that's one way to look at it...

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2591203#Post2591203

Granted, this included two winters and fair amount of short tripping sprinkled throughout.

Thanks. I think I remember that UOA now. Yeah, given the Oxidation at 18 on that sample (IIRC they like it to be below 25), I don't think the TAN was bad. Would depend on what the starting TAN. I don't think their yellow cautionary tag was too far off but it wouldn't have deserved a red condemnation tag.

Originally Posted By: Jim Allen
I don't think the TAN was bad. Would depend on what the starting TAN.

Starting TAN (from VOA) was 2.14.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back