Oil change intervals

I bought a 2020 Toyota tundra 5.7 v8 with 44000 miles on it. takes 0w-20 full synthetic. I looked through the carfax before buying and oil changes looked good. Upon second glance after buying the truck I noticed that I overlooked an extended interval. Previous owner went 10000 per Toyotas recommendations, however he went 14500 at one point. I know this because it was a lease and I doubt he would change his own oil on a lease. Engine seems to run perfect and oil seems clean, oil pressure seems to do what it should and temp gauge runs right in the middle, usually on the cool side. Doesn’t seem like it did any damage. Do you guys think it’s possible that I’ll see any consequences down the road? Should I keep it till the wheels fall off like I planned to or should I get rid of it

Do you guys think it’s possible that I’ll see any consequences down the road?
How are we supposed to know? There is a lot more information needed to make any kind of assessment than you presented here.

Should I keep it till the wheels fall off like I planned to or should I get rid of it?
How could anyone give you any common sense advice based on the lackluster information you presented? At the very minimum you have to post several interior and exterior pictures of the vehicle, along with pictures of the undercarriage, under the hood, etc. In addition to that, it would help immensely if you posted the maintenance history of the vehicle.

It's best to provide as much information as possible before asking loaded questions like yours. Otherwise, you're either not going to get any answers, or you'll get as many worthless opinions as replies.

Carfax may not record all services. Don't take it as the final word.
Like I said it was leased, I wouldn’t think someone would change their own oil in a lease. To me it just looks like he went over the 10000 recommended and decided he didn’t care since it’s not his truck. But I get what your saying. Even if he did go to 14000 it was in 11 months so maybe it would’ve been fine anyway since that would point to more long trips/highway driving

I seriously doubt a single change gone over 45% caused any meaningful problems. Was it great - not likely, but I wouldn't part with a vehicle over that unless it exhibited other symptoms. Having said that, without knowing which oil and which filter, as mentioned its all just a guess anyway.

The number of people out there that miss oil changes completely would likely shock you.

I bought a 2020 Toyota tundra 5.7 v8 with 44000 miles on it. takes 0w-20 full synthetic. I looked through the carfax before buying and oil changes looked good. Upon second glance after buying the truck I noticed that I overlooked an extended interval. Previous owner went 10000 per Toyotas recommendations, however he went 14500 at one point. I know this because it was a lease and I doubt he would change his own oil on a lease. Engine seems to run perfect and oil seems clean, oil pressure seems to do what it should and temp gauge runs right in the middle, usually on the cool side. Doesn’t seem like it did any damage. Do you guys think it’s possible that I’ll see any consequences down the road? Should I keep it till the wheels fall off like I planned to or should I get rid of it
Look down the oil fill hole with a strong flashlight and see if it's clean or has any deposits.

Look down the oil fill hole with a strong flashlight and see if it's clean or has any deposits.
I have some pictures of it actually, I know it might be hard to tell from pictures but what do you think?

Attachments

• IMG_6126.jpeg
    IMG_6126.jpeg
    175.6 KB · Views: 174
  • IMG_6125.jpeg
    IMG_6125.jpeg
    168.7 KB · Views: 171
  • IMG_6124.jpeg
    IMG_6124.jpeg
    137.6 KB · Views: 166
  • IMG_6123.jpeg
    IMG_6123.jpeg
    136.7 KB · Views: 168
I have some pictures of it actually, I know it might be hard to tell from pictures but what do you think?
Looks OK ... just do some regular oil changes and you'll be fine. What's it look like down inside the engine? All clean ... I'd bet so.

Looks like neglect and cheap motor oil had kids. Varnish, lacquer, and polymerized crud are right at home in your engine. And then there is the dark-brown dirt that is caused by moisture from short tripping the daylights out of your vehicle.

There is a way to clean your engine and it will be sparkling clean on the inside, but it will cost you a few bucks.

You are getting wound up over nothing. Drive the truck.
Sounds like what my dad told me when I approached him with the same question, I asked if he thinks I should have it checked out by a mechanic and he looked at me like I was out of my mind haha. The only reason it bothers me is just because of stuff I read online about people saying that a missed oil change should be a deal breaker when buying used

Looks like neglect and cheap motor oil had kids. Varnish, lacquer, and polymerized crud are right at home in your engine. And then there is the dark-brown dirt that is caused by moisture from short tripping the daylights out of your vehicle.

There is a way to clean your engine and it will be sparkling clean on the inside, but it will cost you a few bucks.
Really? I’m no mechanic by any means but I didn’t think it looked that bad

Also I think the lighting is doing a misjustice, irl the bottom side of the cap is the only part that is really that dirty and it isn’t as bad as the picture makes it look, also inside the fill reservoir it looks almost spotless

Really? I’m no mechanic by any means but I didn’t think it looked that bad
I let once the Hyundai dealership do my oil change with their oil because they refused mine, and I was in too much of a hurry to argue. They just changed policies and a bunch of people. Well, 8000 miles later it looked just like that and it took a while to clean it up. Back then there was no HPL Engine Cleaner or HP motor oil. Now you can order a case of HPL PCMO 5W-20 or 5W-30 and do like a 5000 miles OCI and it will clean your engine up pretty well. You can actually go up to 20K miles or more on that oil, but you need to change your filter every 5000 miles. In the beginning I would do a filter change at 2000 miles to check how much crud is in the filter.

Edit: I do my own maintenance. That Hyundai incident was a one off when I was exceedingly busy due to house repairs, and other work related issues. It cost me a few bucks to get it cleaned up.

Like I said it was leased, I wouldn’t think someone would change their own oil in a lease. To me it just looks like he went over the 10000 recommended and decided he didn’t care since it’s not his truck. But I get what your saying. Even if he did go to 14000 it was in 11 months so maybe it would’ve been fine anyway since that would point to more long trips/highway driving
Not every service center reports to Carfax.

Several years after my wife’s 98 Beetle was totaled, it still showed as a perfectly operational car on Carfax.

Is a 14k oil change great? No
Is it a death sentence? No

Just drive it and not worry about it. As someone who has owned a handful of former rentals, it’s the risk you take buying off lease or off rental.

You’ll probably be ok. I’d just do 5,000 from here on out. This truck isn’t the only one to go 14k on an oil change. It’s actually quite frequent at the dealership we see a lot of people skipping oil changes.

I’ve seen lots of cars (Toyota in particular) with consumption issues and a history of extended oil change intervals but no way really to link that to being the cause though it is likely.

Back