0W20 for good protection?

Yep. The first time I saw that was from Honda. A 20-grade was essentially the last iteration that could be applied to what were traditional engine designs. After that it took redesign to permit thinner grades to be used. But adequate wear isn’t a word I wish to use for my vehicles since I do not place fuel economy as my primary and sole concern.
How about bringing practical examples where it is proven that sae20 engines have died. You hide behind eternal grey theory without really being able to find anything.

How about bringing practical examples where it is proven that sae20 engines have died. You hide behind eternal grey theory without really being able to find anything.
You are building a strawman; constructing the "pile of failed engines" premise, which is not what is being argued.

Let me ask you a question:
If oil A gets an engine to 700,000km with factory-spec oil pressure and compression and oil B gets an engine to 700,000km with a 10psi drop in oil pressure and a 10psi average drop in compression on all cylinders, does that matter? Further, does it matter if the average driver only puts 200,000km on their vehicle?

would just like to have practical evidence of what they consider right. Nothing more and nothing less. What I read here so far are just claims for me.

Some time back I mentioned in another thread that a friend has a Honda CRV with the dreaded 1.5L Earth Dreams motor. She puts a fair amount of miles on it too. The oil has changed when the oil monitor tells her and the changes are done at the dealership so they are using whatever 0W-20 they have.

The vehicle now has over 200,000 miles on it. No issues. The only thing she has needed work on was the air conditioning. No fault of the oil in that case. That was a few months ago.

Sorry, but without evidence and evidence of your theses, these are just empty words for me.

Some time back I mentioned in another thread that a friend has a Honda CRV with the dreaded 1.5L Earth Dreams motor. She puts a fair amount of miles on it too. The oil has changed when the oil monitor tells her and the changes are done at the dealership so they are using whatever 0W-20 they have.

The vehicle now has over 200,000 miles on it. No issues. The only thing she has needed work on was the air conditioning. No fault of the oil in that case. That was a few months ago.
Per the CAL and China ban, the issue with fuel dilution is really only a big problem in cars that are short tripped in cool climates. While they still dilute in other locations and drive profiles, it's typically not significant enough to cause the sorts of issues that caused the CAL and ban.

Sorry, but without evidence and evidence of your theses, these are just empty words for me.
So you really have no interest in engaging on the topic, you just want to assert your piece, claim you are "right" and cross your arms. Sounds a heck of a lot like you just want an echo chamber and are just totally dismissing dissenting information.

Given that, I won't engage further. Hope this results in the satisfaction you so desperate appear to seek.

If you show the wear and tear or examples where this is, then the argumentation would be interesting. I read almost only positive things here as well as in other forums with suitable engines and thin viscosity. By the way, there are still people who think the earth is a disc, just like that...

So you really have no interest in engaging on the topic, you just want to assert your piece, claim you are "right" and cross your arms.

Cool, I won't engage with your further then.
But of course I am interested in it. If they provide evidence on a practical level instead of breaking this or that, then it becomes interesting.

It doesn't matter with suitable engines and oil running times! Observe manufacturer release!

If you show the wear and tear or examples where this is, then the argumentation would be interesting. I read almost only positive things here as well as in other forums with suitable engines and thin viscosity. By the way, there are still people who think the earth is a disc, just like that...
Again, it's all about what's appropriate for the equipment and operating conditions. Why do you think Ford spec's 5W-20 for the Mustang GT and then the "Track Pack" version of the same car, with the same engine, was spec'd for 5W-50? Operating conditions.

Same reason the regular 5.7L HEMI spec'd 5W-20 (and now 0W-20) and the 6.4L and 6.2L spec 0W-40.

Same reason GM spec'd 15W-50 for the 'vette when you tracked it, but 5W-30 in daily driving.

What's ideal; what's optimal; what's "RIGHT" (per your earlier statement) is a variable. We can broaden the scope of appropriateness through thermal management, both of the software, and of the physical kind (heat exchangers) but ultimately you are still making sacrifices on the ends of the spectrum, even if you've broadened the "sweet spot". Follow?

I absolutely agree that for manufacturers who make this recommendation, which makes sense and correct, to increase the viscosity in such an application! However, there are also cases where an engine oil specification is released or prescribed for all operating times of the vehicle. In these cases, this works perfectly in the vast majority of cases. These are practical experiences here in the forum as well as other forums and vehicle users worldwide.

But of course I am interested in it. If they provide evidence on a practical level instead of breaking this or that, then it becomes interesting.
If technical enginneering information and controlled testing showed that xW-30 oil caused less wear on engine parts than xW-20 with the same AF/AW additives, would you think it would be a better oil to use to give moving parts added wear protection? Viscosiy is still the main factor above AF/AW additives to control wear.

However, there are also cases where an engine oil specification is released or prescribed for all operating times of the vehicle.
I highly doubt any manufacterer will say xW-16 or xW-20 would be good for track use or sustained high RPM towing. Even the Toyota owner's manuals have a statement in them that say using higher viscosiy oil will give better engine protection under those use conditions.

Back