0w16 for new hybrid

My new Toyota Hybrid specs 0w16. Included is 2 years of free oil changes, but at every 10k miles.
I may do it myself instead of waiting hours at dealership for the 2 free changes.

l plan to use Mobil-1 as it is readily available in 5 quart jugs at reasonable prices in that viscosity and meets all specs. Any reason not to use M1?

What about the recommended 10k intervals? I am planning on going the distance, but am open to hearing other suggestions for or against this.

My new Toyota Hybrid specs 0w16. Included is 2 years of free oil changes, but at every 10k miles.
I may do it myself instead of waiting hours at dealership for the 2 free changes.

l plan to use Mobil-1 as it is readily available in 5 quart jugs at reasonable prices in that viscosity and meets all specs. Any reason not to use M1?

What about the recommended 10k intervals? I am planning on going the distance, but am open to hearing other suggestions for or against this.
No.

A decision to deviate from the recommended interval is up to you but it won't be based on the oil brand you're contemplating.

10k miles is a little long. But if its not Turbo GDI its fine.
I'd do ~8K to feel safe about it. And yes M1 is great. M1 EP might be a little better.
Not sure exactly what's readily available in 0W-16 though.

M1 tends to be a noisier oil.... yeah I know.
Whatever meets spec is fine.
Mocking bird song = not one person has attempted to explain why that’s the case
(my DB meter said it’s not) …

My friend's 18 Camry XSE has been on 10K intervals with either Toyota 0W16 or Mobil 1 0W16. Vehicle has 85k now. All highway miles, driven aggressively. Valve cover is leaking and the engine has started to consume 1/2-3/4 qt between oil changes; the oil consumption started around 60K.

Just one data point.

Mobil 1 is a fine oil, the Extended Performance version is great, IMO, although I'm not sure if it's available in 0w-16. Toyota brand motor oil is made by Mobil, and last time I checked had a great additive pkg. That, too, would be an excellent choice. Otherwise, M1 Advanced Fuel Economy would be a good choice.

I go to my local Toy dealer for the OE 0W-16 and OE filter for our 2019 RAV4 Hybrid.
Purchase is on their record if there are any questions.
Its a very good oil and available at a good price.
I change my oil at 6,000 miles. The car does 40 miles highway 2 - 3 times a week.
First oil change was done at 1,000 miles.

I go to my local Toy dealer for the OE 0W-16 and OE filter for our 2019 RAV4 Hybrid.
Purchase is on their record if there are any questions.
That might be wishful thinking. Several of my local dealerships cannot locate purchases on our wholesale acct if it has been more than 1 year.
Heck, if I do not have the receipt after 30 days, the chances of them locating the purchase is slim to zero.

My friend's 18 Camry XSE has been on 10K intervals with either Toyota 0W16 or Mobil 1 0W16. Vehicle has 85k now. All highway miles, driven aggressively. Valve cover is leaking and the engine has started to consume 1/2-3/4 qt between oil changes; the oil consumption started around 60K.

Just one data point.
4 or 6 cyl?

My 2015 Camry 4cyl has been on 10k intervals of either Valvoline or Mobil 1 0w20. 105k. Highway miles. Between aggressive and regular. No leaks. No noticeable oil consumption.

That might be wishful thinking. Several of my local dealerships cannot locate purchases on our wholesale acct if it has been more than 1 year.
Heck, if I do not have the receipt after 30 days, the chances of them locating the purchase is slim to zero.
Personal purchases might be different.
Our Toy dealer ties purchases into a "bonus" program with your own specific key tag.
Not necessarily a fan of it loyalty programs, but it does track your purchases.

Ahmed (aka: AMD), who holds himself out as a current Chicago-area Toyota dealer master diagnostic tech, and who hosts his "Car Care Nut" YouTube channel, definitely recommends long-term owners stay with the severe service 5K oil change intervals for the dual-injected "Dynamic Force" 2.5 liter, 4cyl. , and sticking firmly with the 0w-16 viscosity (definitely a naysayer on extended use of 0w-20 in these), though he's completely agnostic on oil brands. He's seems a little skeptical on Toyota's choice of plastic for the valve covers, which may be borne out by other posters' leak observations. FWIW, his Toyota maintenance videos are quite well done, balanced, and informative, and I see no evidence that he's merely shilling for dealer-only maintenance.

I have a '20 Camry Hybrid w/5300 miles on it, and I've done two oil & filter changes on it already, but I'll be going with 5k changes from here on out. Amazon has 3-packs of Valvoline 0w-16 5qt. jugs for $61, and I can also find the 5qt. jugs at my local Meijer for $22.50 each (or $17.50 with my occasional store rebate).

Last edited:
Ahmed (aka: AMD), who holds himself out as a current Chicago-area Toyota dealer master diagnostic tech, and who hosts his "Car Care Nut" YouTube channel, definitely recommends long-term owners stay with the severe service 5K oil change intervals for the dual-injected "Dynamic Force" 2.5 liter, 4cyl. , and sticking firmly with the 0w-16 viscosity (definitely a naysayer on extended use of 0w-20 in these), though he's completely agnostic on oil brands. He's seems a little skeptical on Toyota's choice of plastic for the valve covers, which may be borne out by other posters' leak observations. FWIW, his Toyota maintenance videos are quite well done, balanced, and informative, and I see no evidence that he's merely shilling for dealer-only maintenance.

I have a '20 Camry Hybrid w/5300 miles on it, and I've done two oil & filter changes on it already, but I'll be going with 5k changes from here on out. Amazon has 3-packs of Valvoline 0w-16 5qt. jugs for $61, and I can also find the 5qt. jugs at my local Meijer for $22.50 each (or $17.50 with my occasional store rebate).
I use a fluid extractor.
~7k mile OCI.
20k miles on OEM oil filters.

If you look, you may still catch some Carquest 0W-16 on clearance.

They had enough for 50,000+ miles at one of my local stores, untouched.

Back