2021 Toyota rav4 hybrid

Greetings, my wife and I just bought a new RAV4 Hybrid and got the 50,000 service plan with it. The service plan covers oil changes every 10,000 miles but they said if I want it done every 5000, which they recommend, they will do the labor for free and I just need to purchase the oil. Walked over to parts and asked them what the Toyota 0W16 cost per Qt and they didn't even have it in stock. Turns out service dept uses bulk Phillips 66 oil. Not a mainstream oil around here but its what a popular distributor around here carries. Not much info out there about it but I think it will be fine. Man this thing just sips the gas.

Walmart generally has M1AFE for $22.47 (for a 5 quart jug) before rebates.

Amazon usually carries Valvoline Advanced Full Synthetic in a three pack of 5 quart jugs for $70-80 or $23-26 per 5 quarts.

Use those as a baseline for comparison to whatever the shop will charge you for that bulk oil. The Toyota oil filters seem well constructed and have sufficient (not great) efficiency and should be roughly $7.

I only find 0w-16 under here, consider it is GF-6 oil with dexos1gen2, I'd say it still provide good protection. Now for the OCI part...

Not sure if it still apply for the hybrid but I'd go with 5k mi oci.

If it was my RAV4, I would be bringing them the M1 or Toyota 0W-16 ... and watch them crack the bottles open when they pour in the oil.
I have no trust they are using the correct 0W-16 oil out of a bulk barrel.
As for prepaid the every 10k changes, not quite sure what to say there.

I buy my Toy 0W-16 in quarts (Liters in Canada) at the local Toy store, it is reasonably priced and VOAs show it to be an excellent oil.
5 Liters the 1st visit to parts and 4 on the next visit . The RAV4 takes 4.5 Liters per oil change.
I use an OE Toy filter.

Nice car, any name brand full synthetic oil with API SP rating and in the correct viscosity will work fine, e.g. Mobil 1, Valvoline Advanced, Pennzoil Platinum, Castrol Edge, Castrol Magnatec, etc. That Phillips 66 is a fine oil, nothing wrong with it. Anyway a year from now, they will be using something else, when they get a better deal from another company. It doesn't matter, as long as it carries modern specs like API SP / GF-6 / Dexos1 then it is a good oil.

Yeah, I would go for 5k miles oil changes intervals (OCI), with an SP rated synthetic and a Toyota filter.

Greetings, my wife and I just bought a new RAV4 Hybrid and got the 50,000 service plan with it. The service plan covers oil changes every 10,000 miles but they said if I want it done every 5000, which they recommend, they will do the labor for free and I just need to purchase the oil. Walked over to parts and asked them what the Toyota 0W16 cost per Qt and they didn't even have it in stock. Turns out service dept uses bulk Phillips 66 oil. Not a mainstream oil around here but its what a popular distributor around here carries. Not much info out there about it but I think it will be fine. Man this thing just sips the gas.
May I ask how much your 50K service plan cost?

The Toyota 0w16 is about $7 per quart at my local dealership and on Amazon.

My 5,000 mile service cost me $70, because I told them I wanted the oil changed.

May I ask how much your 50K service plan cost?
The reason why I ask this is because you are really only getting 3 oil changes and 7 tire rotations beyond what is already included in your ToyotaCare coverage. I know most folk who buy that at their Toyota dealers end canceling the extended service plan because they realize they are only getting about $450 worth of service.

I only find 0w-16 under here, consider it is GF-6 oil with dexos1gen2, I'd say it still provide good protection. Now for the OCI part...

Not sure if it still apply for the hybrid but I'd go with 5k mi oci.

0w-16 is not D1G2.

Kirkland Full Syn every 5K. Let them do the 10K (inc filter) and use a MityVac in between.
Maybe they don't have the 0w16 weight? Not sure.

Enjoy your beautiful RAV!

Congrats on the hybrid! I have a Venza hybrid which has the same engine and hybrid system.
I have heard many stories about dealers using bulk oil that is the wrong viscosity for 0w16 spec vehicles. The Philips oil is fine and meets all specs if it is 0w16.

I am changing mine @ 5k intervals with Mobil 1 AFE 0w16 and Toyota filter. I probably won't use any of the "free" oil changes.

I think the RAV4 got rid of their PITA Oil Cartridge and seriously an oil change should be a piece of cake!
We have a 2020 non hybrid. It takes a tiny oil filter that I bought a ratcheting box wrench to use on the end of a cap wrench. There's not much room to remove/replace the oil filter but it's not hard to reach and it's not in an awkward place. Biggest pain in the neck is the cover with the far bolt from the front that is hard to reach from the front.

We have a 2020 non hybrid. It takes a tiny oil filter that I bought a ratcheting box wrench to use on the end of a cap wrench. There's not much room to remove/replace the oil filter but it's not hard to reach and it's not in an awkward place. Biggest pain in the neck is the cover with the far bolt from the front that is hard to reach from the front.
Yes and they mounted it horizontally rather than up and down. Go figure the vertical would have made it much easier to get in and out of the car!

Back