Oil Recommendation for 1998 Toyota Rav4 - 161,000

Status
Not open for further replies.

pvq

Greetings All,

Long time lurker, infrequent poster here. I am interested in your thoughts regarding my recently acquired 1998 Toyota Rav4 with 161,000 miles. The car was due for an oil change when I acquired it, and was about a quart low, though the original owner said he checked the oil regularly and didn't recall that it used much.

I had the oil changed at a local garage immediately but I plan to do it myself in the future.

I'm thinking Pennzoil High Mileage 5-30. I've done all the research on HM vs regular oil...and I'm thinking the best way to take this to 250,000 miles and hopefully beyond is HM.

Thoughts? and thanks in advance

Last edited:
I have owned 5 vehicles in the past 10 years with over 250K.. none of them ever saw any synthetic or HM oils. 5w30 whatever was on sale with a starburst and usually a Napa Silver, Supertech Filter, or Carquest Red. Change oil and filter at 5K miles and keep racking up the miles. Air Filter every other oil change.

Since its newly aquired...do u know where you stand with the timing belt replacement?

Originally Posted By: pvq

I'm thinking Pennzoil High Mileage 5-30.

I'm running Pennzoil Platinum High Mileage 5w30 in a '98 Tacoma w/ 205k miles on it. I like that it's on the "thin side" for those early morning cold starts. WalMart carries it now so it can be had for cheap. I'll post a UOA at the end of this OCI.

Originally Posted By: krismoriah72
I have owned 5 vehicles in the past 10 years with over 250K.. none of them ever saw any synthetic or HM oils. 5w30 whatever was on sale with a starburst and usually a Napa Silver, Supertech Filter, or Carquest Red. Change oil and filter at 5K miles and keep racking up the miles. Air Filter every other oil change.

Since its newly aquired...do u know where you stand with the timing belt replacement?

+1 on the timing belt. I would see if that has been replaced. In terms of the oil and filter, PHM is some good stuff. I would use that with a Fram tough guard.

Originally Posted By: Bgallagher
Originally Posted By: krismoriah72

+1 on the timing belt. I would see if that has been replaced. In terms of the oil and filter, PHM is some good stuff. I would use that with a Fram tough guard.

Here is a list of all maintenance I have receipts for back to 2012 sans oil changes...so yes...Timing Belt/Water pump was done about 20K miles ago:

1/2016 159,706 miles - New Tires

12/2015 159,517 miles- Left front axle seal replaced

9/2015 - 157,471 miles New Front Brakes (pads only), New rear shocks

12/2014 - 149,924 miles - Cooling system Flush, Replace Left Front Axle

4/2014 - 142,155 miles - New Timing Belt, Water Pump, Oil Pump Gasket and Steering Gear (complete)

3/2014 - 141736 miles - New Spark Plugs and wires New Fuel o-rings

1/2014 - 137,785 miles - New heater core

12/2013 - 137,200 miles - New air fuel ratio sensor & New Thermostat, clean fuel system

5/2013 - 132,100 miles - New AC Compressor and New Passenger side axle and replace hoses

7/2012 - 124,500 - New Alternator

5/2012 - 122,809 miles - replace rear brake shoes and clean fuel system

Last edited:
Looks like it is very well maintained.

If this is the 2.0L engine, I would not worry too much about the oil. Any oil will do good although the synthetic will give you a longer OCI.

I did not see that the trans fluid has been changed, may be you want to do that. If it has a mechanical Power steering, you may want to change the P/S fluid when you work on the trans fluid.
It uses the same fluid.

We have 184k on our '96 Rav4 with the 2.0. It's a non-interference engine, so if the timing belt breaks or slips, it would bend the valves.

Ours has become a bit of an oil user. I have to keep up on it, or the wife will run it completely out.

I use Pennzoil Platinum.

Originally Posted By: ArrestMeRedZ
We have 184k on our '96 Rav4 with the 2.0. It's a non-interference engine, so if the timing belt breaks or slips, it would bend the valves.

You mean it would not bend the valves.

Originally Posted By: kschachn

^^ Hes right you know

Originally Posted By: JMJNet
Looks like it is very well maintained.

If this is the 2.0L engine, I would not worry too much about the oil. Any oil will do good although the synthetic will give you a longer OCI.

I did not see that the trans fluid has been changed, may be you want to do that. If it has a mechanical Power steering, you may want to change the P/S fluid when you work on the trans fluid.
It uses the same fluid.

My philosophy on transmissions is that if its working well, as this one is, it shouldn’t be touched. Many modern automatic transmissions are completely sealed and don’t even have a dipstick, which I’ve read has led to far fewer transmission problems from people monkeying around with them. This car has a dipstick, so I was compelled to at least check the fluid level. The fluid looks like it just came out of the bottle. I checked with the previous owner and he doesn’t recall ever having it changed. I don’t know how or why...but I’m not gonna screw with it at this point.

Originally Posted By: RationalRussian
Originally Posted By: kschachn

^^ Hes right you know

Wouldn't is correct. I made a typo.

High mileage oil in an older vehicle is not a bad idea, since the seals are likely getting older and more brittle. I've used Pennzoil High Mileage in my 99 Firebird and was very pleased with the results. It stopped the slight leak it had (1 or 2 drips per day in the garage). I've also had good results with Valvoline MaxLife. Go with whichever you prefer, change every 5k, and you'll be set! I've never really had it help in terms of oil consumption/burning, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back