0w16 for new hybrid

Not sure how you figure that? While some like to do tire rotations every 7,500 (or not), IMO it's a bit on the long side (and in my experience, for my cars, too long), and I'm not sure if Toyota wants to experiment with 15k OCI's. So... have a customer come in every 5k for the tire rotation, every second trip is an oil change too. [Some of us do 5k OCI's, makes life easy--0's and 5's, no need for any sticker on the windshield.]

I realize other makes do have "smart" algorithms trying to figure out right time for changes. I can't say they are wrong. But a nice round number like 5k, and with other services based on multiples from that, is on the easy side to remember and deal with.
I just do all of that when the car is on the lift anyways...its convenient to do a rotation while the oil drains.

I think that there is some misunderstanding on the operation of toyota's hybrid system. Toyota's hybrid system (and the only exclusion to this rule would be the hybrid max power trains in the crown 2.4 turbo, and the tundra/tacoma), is that it is a parallel system. The hybrid system is working in parallel to the gas engine.

This is different to how Honda's hybrid system works, were it cannot run in parallel due to the transmission design. In a honda, you can only run battery power, or engine power, but not both at the same time.

So if you wanted to compare battery miles, a toyota would not be the one to look at, since it doesn't actually run in "pure ev" mode. It can, at very very low speeds, but usually does not.

As I have said before, I ran 0w16 in my camry non hybrid for well over 250k miles (I am currently at 268k) and the engine runs perfectly, what gave out was the 8 speed transmission, not the engine, so for those that think 0w16 is going to be a make / break issue....I don't see why. There are many people who go 250k miles on the new gen toyota engines (m20a/a25a) without issues using 0w16. TGMO oil is a great blend imo, just wouldn't use it in high performance applications.
Thanks for that valued information.(y)

My new Toyota Hybrid specs 0w16. Included is 2 years of free oil changes, but at every 10k miles.
I may do it myself instead of waiting hours at dealership for the 2 free changes.

l plan to use Mobil-1 as it is readily available in 5 quart jugs at reasonable prices in that viscosity and meets all specs. Any reason not to use M1?

What about the recommended 10k intervals? I am planning on going the distance, but am open to hearing other suggestions for or against this.
My free oil changes on my Lexus RX450h were also at 10k, but I’m a 5 k guy so I just changed at 5k then went to dealer in 5k, did that twice with 2 free oil changes. Everybody was happy

My free oil changes on my Lexus RX450h were also at 10k, but I’m a 5 k guy so I just changed at 5k then went to dealer in 5k, did that twice with 2 free oil changes. Everybody was happy
Going to take the same route with new Rav4 Hybrid in signature. Let them rotate the tires also.

Back