0W-20 oil required?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Boy do I wish I could find a definitive answer to this question. I am pretty sure the answer as to why the auto manufacturers went to the requirement is because of CAFE. They get better mileage with the thinner oil and the only way they can get credit for the CAFE mileage is to only recommend the oil they get the best mileage with.

It is kinda funny (to me) when you see statements like "you must use the recommended oil and viscosity or your warranty will be void". I'm pretty sure that "recommended" does not mean "required". So, I see no reason to use 0W-20 which only comes in synthetic where I live. I am using 5W-30 Dino oil. I am not worried about voiding the warranty on my 2012 Honda. I do wish that there were some examples of voided warranties to go with the statements. But, I am pretty sure there aren't any. Please provide feedback to the contrary, if anyone has some proof of a voided warranty, or a statement in the manual somewhere that I cannot find that says you MUST follow the recommended stuff or your warranty is voided.

What's everyone think?
Dan

I'm with you. My car manufacturer recommends only 0W-20 in North America, but recommends up to -50 weight oils for the exact same model & engine elsewhere in the world (netherlands, middle east, etc.).

I'm running 10w-30 conventional in my car now, and it purrs
smile.gif

I agree with you 100% burgessdg.

I run a 30 weight in my 2010 Accord. It probably won't make any difference in our Honda's....to be honest.

The engine in our cars would probably be in the same condition if we ran 0w20 --> 5w40.

We might suffer a bit of gas mileage with the thicker oils, but the difference in engine wear would probably be almost nill.

And BTW, I've also NEVER heard of anyone having an engine claim denied because they ran 5w30 instead of 0w20....or anything even closely related to that.

And yet, I use 0W-20 and 5W-20 in engines that spec 5W-30, and have for about 250,000 miles combined. Neither of them use excessive oil between changes nor make any weird noises. The only thing I really notice is a much quieter start-up and quicker warmup, especially in winter.

How often do we like to burn this topic to the ground?

Originally Posted By: burgessdg
Boy do I wish I could find a definitive answer to this question. I am pretty sure the answer as to why the auto manufacturers went to the requirement is because of CAFE. They get better mileage with the thinner oil and the only way they can get credit for the CAFE mileage is to only recommend the oil they get the best mileage with.

It is kinda funny (to me) when you see statements like "you must use the recommended oil and viscosity or your warranty will be void". I'm pretty sure that "recommended" does not mean "required". So, I see no reason to use 0W-20 which only comes in synthetic where I live. I am using 5W-30 Dino oil. I am not worried about voiding the warranty on my 2012 Honda. I do wish that there were some examples of voided warranties to go with the statements. But, I am pretty sure there aren't any. Please provide feedback to the contrary, if anyone has some proof of a voided warranty, or a statement in the manual somewhere that I cannot find that says you MUST follow the recommended stuff or your warranty is voided.

What's everyone think?
Dan

Agree with all above. IF there was an oil related failure, and IF the dealer decided to have it analyzed and IF IF IF. You'll win the lotto while getting struck by lightning before your engine warranty is voided because of the oil you selected. IMO.

27.gif

Unless you don't change it.
confused.gif

I'm sure your Honda will be fine with 5w-30. I've been running it for a few years now in the CR-V. I even kept mileage logs for a year with 5w-20, compared with 5w-30, and there was so much statistical variation it was hard to tell any difference that could be attributed to the oil. I can get 32-33 MPG on the highway, about the same as I had with 5w-20, and this is on a vehicle that's only rated 27.

Really, if there was a warranty issue, they would have to prove that 5w-30 caused it.

Better run 20w-50 to be safe, or 30w-70 if it gets warm.

We all know those Honda engines just don't last at all with 20 grade oil. Same goes for those Ford engines ...

Truth be told, I don't think it makes a difference in gas mileage. I am tempted to a 10w-30 in my focus to prove that 20 grade oils aren't just for fuel economy (if at all). When I report back with no mileage difference, I will know it's not for mileage.

I have no problem with 20 grade oils in an engine designed / updated for 20 grade oils!

Originally Posted By: Phishin
I agree with you 100% burgessdg.

I run a 30 weight in my 2010 Accord. It probably won't make any difference in our Honda's....to be honest.

The engine in our cars would probably be in the same condition if we ran 0w20 --> 5w40.

We might suffer a bit of gas mileage with the thicker oils, but the difference in engine wear would probably be almost nill.

And BTW, I've also NEVER heard of anyone having an engine claim denied because they ran 5w30 instead of 0w20....or anything even closely related to that.

If you don't think there will be wear differences, why not run the 0w-20 spec'd by the manual?

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
There are many advantages to the lighter 0w20 oils, and if your manufacture allows use of them and you aren't using them, your missing out.

OK, I'll bite...

"many", after the impercepitble to most increase in economy, what are the other "many-1" benefits ?

Please cite demonstrations, e.g. sequence IV warmup wear testing that demonstrate the substance of these benefits.

I believe people have a strong "need" to buck the system. Use what you like if you try to use 25W70 when it is -10F outside do not flog the accelerator while the oil is thick as cold molasses. If you use 0W20 do not flog the accelerator continuously for hours causing the oil to thin into the viscosity of water. Either scenario will grenade your engine, I believe everyday drivers fall somewhere in the between.

^+1 Dave,
the strawman that always gets dragged in is "well if you say this, then you mean they should run 30W70", which no-one ever offers as a pint in the discussion or a recommendation...always introduced by the same few as a strawman.

AS to 25W70, I have used it down to 19F...nothing happened, bar a reduction in fuel economy, and a loss of "pep"...ran an SAE30 that summer, and nothing blew either...for the record, I haven't run a 50 in a decade.

"There are many advantages to the lighter 0w20 oils, and if your manufacture allows use of them and you aren't using them, your missing out"

That is the best non-answer I have read in a long time.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Save the 0W-20 for the sewing machine.

Actually, I wouldn't even use it for that.
grin2.gif

I realize your life goal is to be an oil hipster.

Originally Posted By: Lex94
"There are many advantages to the lighter 0w20 oils, and if your manufacture allows use of them and you aren't using them, your missing out"

That is the best non-answer I have read in a long time.

According to XM here are 4 ways AFE oils have benefit over other oils.

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Oils/Mobil_1_Advanced_Fuel_Economy.aspx

If you trust Honda with your vehicle dollars then why don't you trust their engine builders to know what oil to use here in the USA?

Last edited:
3 of those 4 are economy, and the other is tenuous at best, and can be attributed to the 0W in extreme conditions rather than anything to do with 20.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
3 of those 4 are economy, and the other is tenuous at best, and can be attributed to the 0W in extreme conditions rather than anything to do with 20.

No it doesn't, 3 points speaks to less friction, no mention of temp. Point 3 has to do with increased pumpabily. I used M1 5-20 in 1978 and one of the selling points then was fuel savings. That's long before CAFE. If CAFE was the issue then why back spec 5-20 12-14 years.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Shannow
Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
There are many advantages to the lighter 0w20 oils, and if your manufacture allows use of them and you aren't using them, your missing out.

OK, I'll bite...

"many", after the impercepitble to most increase in economy, what are the other "many-1" benefits ?

Please cite demonstrations, e.g. sequence IV warmup wear testing that demonstrate the substance of these benefits.

You can find some information in SAE paper 2005-01-3818

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back