Chrysler oil Requirements

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
Any mechanic, even the best, can make a mistake at times. I think some people hold them to impossible standards. I would judge a dealer and their mechanics more on how they handled that mistake than the fact the mistake was made. Unless of course they were made all the time.

They sure can, after all they're human beings. But when you actually worked with some of these unskilled, clueless, people who don't care, that some dealerships hire, you'll quickly understand why many of us try and avoid them at any cost. I don't want to bring my car in and find out who is good, and who stinks, it's not worth it to me.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Any mechanic, even the best, can make a mistake at times. I think some people hold them to impossible standards. I would judge a dealer and their mechanics more on how they handled that mistake than the fact the mistake was made. Unless of course they were made all the time.

They sure can, after all they're human beings. But when you actually worked with some of these unskilled, clueless, people who don't care, that some dealerships hire, you'll quickly understand why many of us try and avoid them at any cost. I don't want to bring my car in and find out who is good, and who stinks, it's not worth it to me.

Don't forget I actually worked at a dealer in parts and service. They aren't all clueless morons.
grin.gif

Any mechanic, even the best, can make a mistake at times. I think some people hold them to impossible standards. .

That's certainly true, and when I do use a mechanic I try to always remember NOT to do that. They have many jobs to do all day long- I tend to think of how *I* would do the job they're doing, which is typically to allow myself all day to go slow, check and re-check, and enjoy my time in my garage. They can't work that way, or they'd be out of business.

The way I see it, its all about probabilities. Say I'm a mediocre mechanic and the shop has a rock-star mechanic. I can still go very slow, check and recheck, and the probability I'll make an error is low. When I take my car to a shop, there are other people waiting. The best mechanic may get my car, or it may be the intern (prob(error) just went up). Even if the best mechanic gets my car, he's in a hurry (more prob(error)). He has limited time to look at possible problems, pick the parts/fluids, and then when he's working on it he may get interrupted a few times by the intern asking for help on someone else's car (pr(error) goes up again).

I'm certainly not generalizing and saying "I can always do a better job." But when it comes to something like an oil change, which hardly requires the same skill as setting up the clutch pack clearances in an automatic tranny, the PROBABILITY that I'll make a careless mistake is lower than that for a mechanic under the typical shop pressures.

I can't argue with that. In fairness, there are a few dealers here that will use actual mechanics for oil changes, but only for select customers. Obviously, that's not a cost effective way to run a business, at least for a cheap oil change.

People won't pay $150 for a conventional oil change just to have the most competent and most certified and educated employee do it.

I am back with the first report about what is going on, my Lawyer contacted Chrysler they are saying, They did not ever say the problem was oil related (what they said the Mobil 1 oil used was not with in Chrysler spec. MS-6395) My Lawyer said they were just fishing for a reason to not pay for the engine repair work. As for the dealer they are trying to give my lawyer the run around.

I have been asked by my lawyer to not give out to much info.
frown.gif

Thanks again for all your help.
I will report back when I know more but this looks like it could be a drawn out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back