Chrysler oil Requirements

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am learning here so please be nice. I started talking about this on another post and I know some of you called BULL and I don't blame you but this did happen so can you tell me if I should have my friend seek legal help.
Chrysler Voided his warranty because he used Modil 1 but his owner manual says
Engine Oil Selection
For best performance and maximum protection under all
types of operating conditions, the manufacturer only
recommends engine oils that are API Certified and meet
the requirements of Chrysler Material Standard MS-6395.

And the Chrysler said the oil he used did not meet Chrysler requirements MS-6395.
Do they have the right to void his warranty?

Question:
Mobil 1 5W-20 and Chrysler MS-6395
Why is your Mobil 1 5W-20 not Chrysler MS-6395 spec approved? Or if it is, why is the certification not on the bottle or website?
-- Josh Eads, Cabot, AR

Answer:
Chrysler’s latest revision to the MS-6395 specification calls for a field trial spanning multiple seasons over two years. While we fully expect the exceptional performance of Mobil 1 synthetic motor oil to meet Chrysler’s specification requirements, at this time we are in the process of evaluating our timeline to start this testing.

Your friend could have a problem. IF he has an engine oil related failure.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: TheFatMan

I read your mention of this in the other thread. There are a few issues that need to be addressed. First off, the Mobil 1 isn't officially licensed. It certainly, however, meets the standards. From a warranty perspective, Chrysler would have to prove that the uncertified M1 caused the damage to really deny a warranty claim. Of course, things could be held up and that would inconvenience the owner at the time of repairs.

A person in such a position should seek legal advice. So, you've mentioned the voiding of the warranty a couple times. Did the dealership void the warranty? Did Chrysler void the warranty? I don't think the dealer really has much power over warranty, considering warranty work can be done by any Chrysler dealer in the States.

Of course, there is relevant legislation in the States. If someone has an axle fail prematurely, it would be ridiculous for the manufacturer to blame using the wrong motor oil. Also, the term "void" is a little ambiguous here. Let's assume a worst case scenario. The person used M1 that wasn't officially certified or was the wrong grade, and it actually miraculously caused the damage. Of course, then, it's up to XOM to deal with the issue and not Chrysler.

Even in that worst case, his warranty isn't "void." If the M1 somehow ruined his engine, well, then Chrysler won't fix his engine. If his transmission grenades a week later or the differential seizes up, those are totally different, unrelated warranty issues.

Will I may have used the wrong words
grin.gif

But what I understand is it's Chrysler said they will not honor the warranty because Mobil 1 is not been approved for use in a Chrysler engine.

Last edited:
Well, in that case, if we want to get picky, Chrysler still has to prove that the M1 caused the failure. Then, assuming the correct grade was chosen, XOM might be on the hook from a legal standpoint. After all, I'm sure using the Mobil oil selector function on the XOM site actually will pick a sensible oil (in the correct grade) for the application, rather than sending consumers to a SOPUS site because of the Chrysler specification.

Chrysler's two year testing requirement for the oil specification is idiotic, anyhow. They can't keep the same ownership structure, let alone the same OEM lubricant contract, for more than two years at a time.

call a lemon law attorney in your area most are free to talk to they really know their stuff. Dont play games call them they play hard ball

Buy vehicles after the warranty expires.No fights over coverage,and the depreciation is big time over new/almost new.

The easiest thing to do is use an oil that meets the spec. At the end of the day you'll sleep easier if you should have an oil related problem.

grin.gif

But what I understand is it's Chrysler said they will not honor the warranty because Mobil 1 is not been approved for use in a Chrysler engine.

Interesting as it's the M1 0w-40 that is printed on the oil cap of my 6.1.

This is either a troll post or a classic example of a stealership problem. They are required by law to PROVE that the oil was deficient. This stealership is simply playing hardball, and in my 40+ years of automotive experiences there is usually a bit more to the story...

All your friend needs is a good lawyer.

Did he have an engine failure??? They don't know what's in it unless you furnish it for them to install. I have been working at a ford dealer for 25 years and have never seen an engine failure caused by the oil used. It is on them to prove the oil caused the failure if there was one. If there wasn't a failure keep using the mobil 1.

Got me thinking. I have 12 Subaru Forester and 09 Civic what specs do these have and does PYB meet Honda's spec what ever they are? Does PP 0-20 meets Subaru spec's?? The Civic calls for 5-20 which is what I use. I got the PP at Wally for $23 and Pennzoil sent me $10 for doing so and $5 back on next purchase. I know we can use other oil as long as it meets the 0-20 5-20 but really how about Mobil not meeting a spec. ?? What gives? Here in NYC a stealer can be ruthless!!The oil change at the stealer Subaru is $81 why would anyone use them if you can do it yourself??? Honda only charges $20 if I bring my own oil but how do you know they put your oil in?? Yes you can ask for the empty bottles back but who needs this trouble???

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
grin.gif

Interesting as it's the M1 0w-40 that is printed on the oil cap of my 6.1.

This is either a troll post or a classic example of a stealership problem. They are required by law to PROVE that the oil was deficient. This stealership is simply playing hardball, and in my 40+ years of automotive experiences there is usually a bit more to the story...

All your friend needs is a good lawyer.

Know I am not trolling I no it looks like it, let me explain some more. See the guy that this happened to is and elderly Man. Him and his wife lives next to me and my wife, and we kind of look after them, And sometime getting the whole story can get hard. When it was time for the first oil change in his RAM he asked me what brand of oil to use I told him I use Mobil 1 in my truck. I know he used Mobil 1 5w20 because I change his oil.

I just feel very bad because first i put the Mobil 1 in his truck. I offered to pay for the repairs but he will not see of it. I am just going to call a lawyer and see what they say.
Sorry about being a problem.

Did Chrysler explicitly state "the warranty is voided because of Mobil 1" and is this in writing?

Are there any other variables at play, like a lack of documentation, accusations of abuse, oil analysis results, etc.?

If the engine failure was the sole result of using Mobil 1, then it seems like Mobil would be the one at fault. If the failure was the result of some other variable and the warranty is being denied because of the use of aftermarket products, then it seems like a pretty clear cut Manguson-Moss violation.

Either way, it would be time to consult an attorney.

I don't think there's nearly enough information to form too much of an opinion, either way.

I am learning here so please be nice. I started talking about this on another post and I know some of you called BULL and I don't blame you but this did happen so can you tell me if I should have my friend seek legal help.
Engine Oil Selection

And the Chrysler said the oil he used did not meet Chrysler requirements MS-6395.

TheFatMan,

Either your friend told them what oil was used or they did some sort of analysis. Being a Chrysler owner myself I can only wonder myself. What type of car and what happened to the engine that could have voided the warranty?

At my delership they had no issues at all using Mobil 1 synthetic under they're approval in the right oil weight. This was before they seeked bankrupcy. Now that Fiat calls the shots I heard Pennzoil is now the factory prefered oil as a standard. This is what I use currently.

In your buddies case he/she might seek a lawyer and find out if the lemon law applies here.

Durango

My Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep dealer has SOPUS products (because of the Fiat thing) on tap, but M1 is also avaiable in 3 different weights.

Sounds to me like your stealership is doing something shady to your elderly neighbor

grin.gif

You have to be using the wrong words again here or the truck's owner is being taken advanntage of. You are now saying Chrysler won't cover the repair because the oil is not "approved". That means certified and they can not force you to use a certified oil. Their own manual they provide with their vehicles states "meets".

Either there is still more to this than we are getting info on or your friend needs a lawyer. Chrysler can NOT void warranty just because M1 is not on their approved oil list. Can NOT! All the oil must do is meet the called for performance requirements of the spec and you are good.

I would have your lawyer contact M1 and let them know Chrysler is voiding warranty claiming it is because of M1. I am sure they would be interested to hear that and would want to nip that in the bud before word gets out and they lose a lot of customers.

Engine Oil Selection

As mentioned in the other thread, I think the operative word in the Chrysler owner's manual is "recommends". They aren't "requiring" oils that are API certified AND meet MS-6395, only "recommending".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back