Windshield Replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by claluja

459 - Chinese coating technology ain't good.

Not true at all
smile.gif

The DOT459 FYG windshield on my 4th gen Maxima is fine. It looks exactly like the original windshield (which was made by PPG, DOT 18). The quality of the glass is just as good as the original PPG, and the glass is just as clear.

Also, Fuyao bought out one of PPG's old glass factories. They are now an OE supplier. Hyundai equips at least some of their cars, including the Elantra, with DOT 459 Fuyao glass from the factory
smile.gif

"Some car models can have a dozen or more windshield variations from the factory. If there are sensors mounted in or behind the windshield, they might require a special calibration procedure. The independent windshield shops are/were complaining that it was difficult for them to keep up with the technology and/or that the calibration was somewhat proprietary for each brand. "

True. I recently needed a new windshield for the Mazda CX-5. The auto glass shop had to special order it as it is equipped with the camera plus windshield wiper deicer, heads up display and acoustic glass to top it all off.

Originally Posted by PimTac
Originally Posted by DuckRyder
Originally Posted by DuckRyder
Safelite is typically junk, cheaper than safelite would be a red flag to me without knowing the brand of glass they are going to use.

Also are the moldings reusable (if it has them - been a while since I looked a pilot.).

Most cars do not have moldings these days.

Really?

https://www.hondapartsnow.com/parts-list/2016-honda-pilot-5dr_ex_2wd-ka-6at/front-windshield.html

You found one. Good. Most cars just glue their windshields in and no molding.

One thing has nothing to do with the other. Yes most all are glued in, but can't recall seeing any car windshield that doesn't at least have a top molding of some sort. Safelite carries FUYAO and Pilkington with three variations depending on if you have FORWARD COLLISION ALERT, Lane keeping assit, ACOUSTIC INTERLAYER, etc. Wholesale cost on the glass is $200-$250. I would guess OEM glass might be 2-3 times as much.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by iontrap
I need to have the windshield in my 2016 Honda Pilot replaced. Is anyone familiar with Auto Glass Now? Their price is significantly lower than Safelite. I need to call them back and find out what brands of glass they quoted. If OEM is possible, that is what I want but what are glass brands to stay away from?

Don't you have full glass coverage and your insurance will pay for Safelite or other major brands?

I'm guessing it's not visible? All I see is the edge of the windshield and the body frame.

The bottom is covered slightly by the cowl.

Thanks for the info.

I got a rock chip and crack in the windshield on my Honda back in June. I have Geico so was only able to have Safelite do the replacement, or else would have had to pay the entire replacement glass myself. Geico shot me down when I requested OEM glass. The first windshield Safelite installed did not fit correctly, and the guy kept saying "it's a factory defect, it's a factory defect" when he called me out to my driveway to show it to me. The top left corner did not sit in the channel flush like it should, there was a definite problem with the curvature of the glass. I have no idea what brand the glass was on that one. Safelite came back about ten days later and put in a new windshield that fit perfectly and there is no difference in the glass or the view through it than I had with my original Honda glass. The new glass is a Pilkington. It seems to be OK, about the same as OEM, nothing to write home about but it works OK.

Originally Posted by atikovi
Mine has no molding.

What car?

Mazda CX5

The latest gen Ford Escape has no external windshield moulding. I have no idea if there is any internal moulding.

Originally Posted by Donald
Originally Posted by iontrap
I need to have the windshield in my 2016 Honda Pilot replaced. Is anyone familiar with Auto Glass Now? Their price is significantly lower than Safelite. I need to call them back and find out what brands of glass they quoted. If OEM is possible, that is what I want but what are glass brands to stay away from?

Don't you have full glass coverage and your insurance will pay for Safelite or other major brands?

Unfortunately I don't have glass coverage on my policy but my plan is to add it after getting the windshield replaced.

Originally Posted by AZjeff
Had a FYG put in the RAV4 a year ago and it stinks. Terrible distortion at the bottom and top edges, very annoying. Wasn't happy with the installer so have to live with it until next replacement. Had a Pilkington put in the Silverado a couple of months ago after the crappy FYG and it's okay but not as distortion free as the original glass. Next windshield will be OEM branded . Have a feeling some people aren't sensitive to distortions and my background in optics makes me super sensitive to poor quality.

You get what you pay for. The cheapest will not be as good as OEM but might be good enough.

All three replacements you stated are OEM windshields. Something is playing with your thought process.

Originally Posted by dave1251
Something is playing with your thought process.

People expect to see the GM or Ford logo on a windshield to believe its OEM, however that isn't always the case with auto parts. I'm guessing Pilkington makes the glass for the Silverado and at their factory, they put the GM logo on the windshields they send to the Chevy assembly plant, and they leave them off on the windshields they send to Safelite.

To me, it's not so much the glass itself. That's a wear item that's probably going to get broken again. It's all about the quality of the removal and install. Those are the important things and I've seen some horrific installs and recently went through it with my used 2017 Ram 1500, where someone botched the rear window replacement before I bought the truck. It leaked and required removal and resealing.

Originally Posted by atikovi
Originally Posted by dave1251
Something is playing with your thought process.

People expect to see the GM or Ford logo on a windshield to believe its OEM, however that isn't always the case with auto parts. I'm guessing Pilkington makes the glass for the Silverado and at their factory, they put the GM logo on the windshields they send to the Chevy assembly plant, and they leave them off on the windshields they send to Safelite.

What Pilkington and PPG/PGW and Saint-Gobain Sekurit will sometimes do is either replace the OEM logo with theirs or make a run without the OEM's marks if they need to make replacement glass on OEM production runs. I've seen United-LN glass that was a replacement for Toyota glass with Pilkington's logo in a black bar and replacement GM glass without their logo.

Pilkington does make a majority of their aftermarket windshields in Mexico(DOT 177). PGW is now part of Vitro and there is an agreement in place for PGW aftermarket to source glass from Vitro instead of XYG. We'll see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back