Safelite mobile service any good?

I need a windshield in my old truck. The large multi branch indy shop in town I have gone to in the past was bought out by safelite. It sure would be convenient to pay the extra $50 bucks to come to me. Is them doing it in my driveway just as good as their shop, or is it worth the trouble to go to them?

Anyone done safelite mobile service lately?

I had terrible luck with their poor quality Mexican made glass. Never again. It was a funny mirror in different spots as they changed windshield 3x and then I complained to insurance who ordered decent glass.

Safelite is crap.
You've made a strong, direct, negative pronouncement. Why do you feel that way?

My two experiences with Safelight have been positive. Both times they came to my home, did the job quickly, were paid 100% by my insurance with no hassle to me, and neither repair had any problems or issues over time. The repairs were done on a 1992 and a 1993 Ford Ranger pickup.

• Helpful
Reactions: GON
I think windshield replacement has become "luck of the draw" now a days, just like so many things. Many mom and pop places have been absorbed by large companies. My last replacement at a reliable shop turned out poopy and I had to have paint damage near the mounting surface repaired. The results are only as good as the person doing it, regardless of where it is done. Several here claim excellent results at Safelight and I believe them.

Safelight used to have a terrible reputation on the professional glass installer forums. They claimed that Safelight treated their employees poorly and gave them way too many daily assignments (rush). Safelight used to produce their own glass, which was rumored to be pathetic. They now install other mfg. brands just like all the other shops.

During my last windshield installer search, Safelight played a lot of pricing games. Their first estimate was high. Over the next few days I received emails lowering the price in increments.

Maybe they are better now? Again, I think it is a gamble wherever you go. I have one guy that I now trust and I slip him some extra cash every time I use him (not often).

I prefer to take my vehicle to the shop. I have a bias that they have more hands, more materials, and more time at a shop where they can do the job indoors at their own pace. Let us know how it turns out.

I've had great luck with them on 3 different windshields. With that said, I'm sure it varies based on your area and what technicians are employed by the branches closest to you.

Reactions: CKN
You've made a strong, direct, negative pronouncement. Why do you feel that way?

My two experiences with Safelight have been positive. Both times they came to my home, did the job quickly, were paid 100% by my insurance with no hassle to me, and neither repair had any problems or issues over time. The repairs were done on a 1992 and a 1993 Ford Ranger pickup.
Because they are. I have seen them cut the wires to the sun sensor on my uncle’s truck and therefor the auto lights didn’t work anymore. We used them once at the body shop because the insurance company wanted us to use them. Three different techs came to install and reinstall a new back glass on a ford edge for quality issues. They left urethane finger prints all over the car that we had to clean off, glass fitment issues, job left not complete. You name it. I’d also like to know how they can claim to do mobile windshield calibrations in a parking lot or drive way when the car and instruments need to be on a level surface. Lol.

I've had the best luck with Safelite over the years. After hearing about how bad they were on here I ventured away and was very disappointed. Next windshield repair or replacement I need will definitely be through Safelite.

The quality of any repair is always dependent on who does the work, whether through a franchise or an independent or corporate-owned business.

Very true, but management can set expectations for quality of service.

Took 3 trips to replace our Explorer windshield. First tech didn’t line the windshield up straight and the trim pieces started popping off. Second tech replaced the trim pieces, but then the windshield would leak at the pillars on both sides. Third tech replaced the windshield and pillars again and so far it’s held up for almost 6 months.

SafeLite does not have a good reputation. However, just like anything else, there are good and bad with everything depending on, in this case, the installer and company policies. My daughter has had good experience 2X with SafeLite in State College, PA but she didn't use the mobile service, she went to the actual shop. I can confirm this. (y)

I have used them before and never had a problem. If there's rust under the windshield and molding area that isn't dealt with, a likely problem will occur later. That is not the fault of the glass but the installer.

Back