Safelite mobile service any good?

I’ve used Safelite 3 times in the past five years on 2 cars and never had a problem.

Before it was Safelite in my area, it was Giant Glass. 1-800-54-Giant 🎵 was the jingle for people familiar with that commercial. It was catchy. I never had a problem with them either and used them for years.

My last two Safelite experiences were good. Both cars got Mexican Pilkington - no junk XYG/Chinese PGW here.

All Star Glass went downhill from what I’ve heard. Around here, it’s Safelite, the junkyard or some fly-by-operation out of a truck.

Their glass is pretty low quality in my experience, it was the first (and only times) I've seen waves in glass, with some magnification like effect depending on the angles you viewed it from. I can't say all of their glass is bad, maybe just regional thing, but the two times I've used them in the past the glass always had waves in it.

Don't exactly know what to call it, or how to properly describe it but if you looked forward at something, and moved your head/body around in the car the thing you are looking at would slightly warp/wave slightly due to the glass. It was like a semi magnification effect to the glass at random spots.

Also, call it bad luck or what but both times I've used them the glass cracked within 3 months, once during the very first drive after replacement. I've known a few people who used them as well, the glass always cracks quickly, which is my biggest complaint low quality glass, maybe it's just a regional supplier issue around here, and else where is better but the quality of the glass has always left a lot to be desired.

Safelite used to make their own glass - which was junk. The aftermarket is ruled by the Chinese now, XYG and Benson, DOT 563 and other one is to be avoided at all costs. Vitro bought out PPG Automotive Glass, and it can be made in the US, Canada or Mexico, DOTs 18/46/287/904. Pilkington makes a majority of their aftermarket glass in Mexico as well, DOT 177 but they will take an OEM piece and etch/screen the logo out, DOTs 15/404/682.

Back