Small crack in windshield

Wife's RAV4 took a rock to the passenger side windshield and now has a 5 inch crack starting at the side edge of the windshield and progressing horizontally. Can see it but can't feel it with my fingernail. Can this be repaired or must be replaced? Safelite was recommended or should I try a local glass place?

Wife's RAV4 took a rock to the passenger side windshield and now has a 5 inch crack starting at the side edge of the windshield and progressing horizontally. Can see it but can't feel it with my fingernail. Can this be repaired or must be replaced? Safelite was recommended or should I try a local glass place?
Safelight can stop the crack at both ends (usually). Your insurance will pay for it and it the process will be seamless.

Well, Safelite has been discussed before. Experiences seem to range from ok to horrible, although most seem to hover toward the latter. I bet if you "search threads" for Safelite you can see if you find my synopsis accurate (it may not be ‐‐ truly)

I have a local glass guy who is literally a craftsman and has pretty much BTDT for everything. I use him. You want the guy in his 50's or 60's with readers because he's likely got decades of experience

The crack is too big, they will not attempt to fix it.

I have been happy using Safelite - the wife literally gets a new windshield on her Jeep Gladiator Rubicon very 4-6months. We just had it replaced last week due to 2 large cracks from rock haulers on the freeway. (That windshield was installed in Sept last year so she got 5 mos out of it)

To add insult to injury....hers has all the options including the long range radar cruise etc - it requires a more expensive $1000 windshield.

I'm going through this right now. I had a 5in crack a couple weeks ago that grew to 12in from edge to edge. Safelite might decide to replace instead of repair. Safelite also said you can request an OEM windshield replacement but you may have to pay more. For me it's an extra $511 on top of my deductible and were able to check that number for me over the phone. If it's wavy or bad quality glass, they can do the OEM afterwards.

Satellite usually says they can probably fix it if you can cover it with a dollar billl, It wont be invisible, in fact it will probably look worse.

Some Japanese OEM glass isn't much more than NAGS with a discount.

I would wait until it is unquestionably large enough to get a new windshield, since it's close if not already there, not just some tiny chip.

Last time I had one done, I priced Safelite vs a popular local shop that's been around for decades and the latter was cheaper, and cheaper still due to my driving it to them instead of rolling the truck out. Not that it mattered since insurance covered it, but even at same price I would rather support the independent biz over a chain.

Pocks can be fixed if it isn't in the drivers front view. A crack of any kind means a new windshield.

I’ve seen cracks across the windshield repaired

Just need
1. 4 suction cup injector (usually found in Menards)
2. Grease
3. The ability to work quick at night
4. Razor blades

The key is starting at one end and with great pressure you inject while pressing / releasing the inside of the windshield which helps walk the adhesive, you get the stuff as far as you can then have to quickly move the injector towards the end point of the sealant and repeat.

Once complete there are clear plastic strips you apply along the crack and remove after it sets up the next day.

Your goal is to stop the crack from blinding you and to stop its progression. Cosmetics aren’t that important.

If you fail your not out much, several videos showing this.

There are guys in Texas that will repair any size crack but they don’t warranty work.

I had a bad crack close to the driver's line of sight. I went to a place that said they would repair the crack and if I wasn't satisfied with the result would deduct the cost of the repair from the cost of a new windshield.

The view became very distorted with the repair and I had the windshield replaced. Problem solved.

I had a bad crack close to the driver's line of sight. I went to a place that said they would repair the crack and if I wasn't satisfied with the result would deduct the cost of the repair from the cost of a new windshield.

The view became very distorted with the repair and I had the windshield replaced. Problem solved.
Yep the repair isn’t for cosmetics

I have a starburst crack (impacted by a rock?) -a deep strike which ground into the glass- in the high upper left corner.
The radiating arms of the crack can be covered by a quarter....but for a single, 1" hairline crack.
Shall I put a dab of clear nail polish on it? (ha).

I have a starburst crack (impacted by a rock?) -a deep strike which ground into the glass- in the high upper left corner.
The radiating arms of the crack can be covered by a quarter....but for a single, 1" hairline crack.
Shall I put a dab of clear nail polish on it? (ha).
Sounds perfect for a repair. These often completely disappear.

Back