2001 Lincoln Continental - $5000 repair estimate in front suspension & steering - reasonable?

About 6 weeks ago I took my 2001 Lincoln to Meineke to have Rear Brakes rotor and pads done for the first time (69K miles). A couple weeks later the rear brake was generating a ton of black "dust" on the alloy wheel. I take it back in and they told me the E-brake was dragging on the rotor....and they adjusted back to normal at no cost. Another couple of weeks go by and I notice the same dust returning and that "hot" smell of burning metal. They check it out and this time blame it on a stuck right rear caliper. They can't get the pins unfrozen. I would note that on the original brake work they told me that pins of both sides were stuck or sticking.....but they were able to free them up at that time.

As long as the car was up in the air I had them check the front suspension as I've been hearing some knocking over rough roads. Well, they came up with a litany of issues....basically requiring replacing everything up front as doing it all "just once" would be cheaper than going back in multiple times. I did see the bad items which included a long crack up the right "plastic" A arm, a torn boot on the right wheel bearing/trans-axle, wobbly right wheel bearing, worn out ball joints, twisted sway bar links and beat up bushings. About the only thing not recommended were the front struts. Front brake rotors and pads were done about 3 yrs earlier (20K miles) and they said those were bad as well. Car is probably only worth $6K if everything mechanical was in good shape. I've been looking for a replacement car with much lower miles and then getting rid of this one. But, that's not working out so well.

Ride control is $3400
Front wheel bearings and seals $866
CV axles - $746
Front brakes - $515

The stuck right rear caliper will run another $820. If I eventually need other calipers this could run up to +$3300 total........or about $9000 if 4 calipers are eventually needed. And that's not even considering any future problems with heating and cooling, exhaust, emissions, electronics, windows and seats, AC, PS, etc. Fortunately, all those systems have been good.

Does $6300 seem "reasonable" for just the things called out right now? The shop stated that they only use "FoMoCo" approved parts such as Moog. They won't put "lesser" quality parts on the car. As I ponder all this, the new front rear brakes are getting eaten up....potentially another $500. New tires are due within the year ($600). Fortunately engine and trans on this have been excellent so far. I do all the fluid changes.

Got the car 5 years ago for $4000 with 39,000 miles from the original owners - elderly couple. So it's been pretty cost-effective....until now. Been closely watching the Northeast for used Ford/Lincoln/Mercury Panther platforms with low miles. So far nothing close to me. I don't want to jump on another one of these at 65K miles and find out it too needs a bunch of money into ride/suspension/brakes. So I'm more focused on cars under 40K miles. Have also been looking at new or nearly new RAV4's, CR-V's in the $25K to $35K range.
Never been a new car guy. Would still rather be into a real nice used Panther platform at $8K-$12K. But, this isn't the same used or new car market of 5 yrs ago. It's all changed. Since I know my car fairly well after owning 3 of these FWD 4.6L the past 20 yrs....maybe the simplest thing is fixing it and starting fresh again? At least I'll know where I stand. Yet, can I trust a shop to do good work where I won't be back in a couple years due to poor installation or parts? I also ran this invoice by my long time mechanic who I haven't needed to see since the Pandemic. He wouldn't even get back to me on it. His front desk says he is scheduled out 3-6 months or something. Yes, the market is not 2018 anymore. Good used cars are hard to find. And you have to figure most people have scrimped on the maintenance as well. New cars are expensive and still have issues. I'd be a cash buyer of whatever I do get.

I'm 70 yo next year and can't crawl around these cars like I used to. A problem-free car for the next 5-10 yrs (I do 6K-8K mpy) would be a plus. I do love the ride on these big V8 sedans. Everything still works on this car which is surprising. Other than brakes, filters, and fluids most everything is still factory original. A little rust popped up in the lower rockers and front rear wheel lips last year. I was sort of devasted with that - a $2K estimate to replace rockers and repaint at a body shop. I did my own home repairs for now to at least remove the bad rust, anti-rust treated the other metal, applied a 2 part epoxy sealer with f/g tape, then touch up painted. Keeps the mice out. The car was in a light accident with the orig owners where one side got damage on driver's door, rocker, upper pillar....even mis-aligned the hood height by 1 mm or so. So it's no cream-puff. The paint from that repair is still doing ok. Have to wonder if that accident could have affected the longevity of those front suspension parts? Car tracks straight - always has. Was a great car UNTIL this year. Was planning on a 16 qt trans fluid flush on my own this summer....now might not do it. Been 20K miles since the last one.

Fix it? Sell it and get another Panther? Get a 2020-2023 RAV4, CR-V, Mazda CX3, or similar?

IMG_8720.JPG

Last edited:

I assume that means the $5000 repair estimate is "not reasonable."

Get away from the chain stores, that seems a bit excessive for lousy Moog parts
Does yours have the Semi-Active suspension?

Not a bad idea. I had the car at Monroe Muffler about 3 yrs ago and they found nothing at all worth doing on the front suspension....even with a slight knock on that right front wheel area. They did the front brakes & rotors....which have worn out way too soon. I never really had a problem with these guys on other cars. Nothing failed again once they replaced it. I did "google" what a typical cost for extensive front end work was and $5000 did pop us as the upper end of expected range. I would imagine it's the chain repair shops suggesting that number too.

I have air bags in the rear. Struts/shocks up front. That sounds like semi-active suspension. On the 3 Lincolns I've had and 380K miles, never had to replace an air bag or air compressor. And these compressors have cycled quite a bit on all 3 cars.

My methodology on cars the past 25 yrs has been to find low mileage examples (20K-40K) and then drive them to the 80K to 100K mile point. If I get 5-8 yrs that's ideal. There have always been enough replacement cars around to keep doing it. But with these 1998-2011 LIncolns and Mercs now so old, those 25K-35K mile cars are far and few between....and prices are up 50-100%. I'd bet the vast majority of the used ones for sale in the 60K to 120K mile range probably need considerable mechanical work.....or soon to need it.

best 1 (2).jpg

Last edited:
That’s a nice car, but I seriously doubt it needs all that work. A lot of chain shops want to replace everything and it’s just not needed. I would try to find a good, honest independent shop.

Finding a good lower mileage panther platform car is getting harder but it’s not impossible. Back in 2018 I found a one owner 04 Marauder with 79k on it. Had to fly to Indianapolis from Virginia to get it, so you might have to be willing to travel to get what you want.

I just fell off my chair.

Those prices are what I would expect you to be paying if the car was in at a Lincoln dealer using genuine parts. Not dubious quality aftermarket parts.

I would definitely seek out a second opinion and why not get it looked over by a Lincoln or Ford dealer and see what they quote. At least then you know what it should cost max

Like others have said: stay away from chain store shops like Meineke, etc.

A friend of mine has one of these, probably the same color even. He’s giving it to me because it’s worn out. Needs everything redone, and I told him that 6 years ago when I rode in it. New front suspension, rear, brakes, the whole thing.

My friend isn’t a mechanic, but a real estate agent and uses something else. I didn’t want to buy it, and neither did anyone else after seeing the repair list. I’m either going to look at repairing it myself, since that’s what I do full time now, or part it.

Find an independent shop or two that will give you an estimate.

I’m just annoyed that they found seized or sticking pins but didn’t replace them.

Remember, these chain store shops’ business model is built on finding many expensive repairs “that need to be done NOW”. And unfortunately they target your age group (and probably mine now that I’m in my mid 50s).

I recall Goodyear Tire got $3300 out of my dad years ago for work I told him he didn’t need. My dad didn’t think that I knew anything about cars back then and “listened to the professional”. He was pretty mad after being fleeced. Should’ve listened.

Last edited:
As others stated find another backyard type mechanic to do the repairs and see if you can buy the parts online or at a decent price. Chances are very high that it probably only needs a few parts. The brakes are an easy fix and the knocking on a bump is probably just a ball joint or something simple and inexpensive. Those old Ford/Lincolns can be fixed.

Got the car 5 years ago for $4000 with 39,000 miles
Car is probably only worth $6K if everything mechanical was in good shape.
Umm, no. Old cars (excluding classics) drop in value over time. You would be lucky to get $3,000 for it if you payed $4,000 5 years ago. In it's current state, maybe $2,000, so makes no sense in dumping all the money into it.

Fix it? Sell it and get another Panther?
The continental is NOT a Panther. It's a Taurus/Sable. No question an actual Panther, Crown Vic, Grand Marquis, Town Car would be simpler and less trouble. A lower mileage example shouldn't be hard to find, but even with 100,000 they are barely broken in.

By the way, just to clarify, this generation of Lincoln Continental isn’t a “Panther” platform Ford, but is a Ford FN9 platform, which makes the Continental related to the front wheel drive Mercury Sable and Ford Taurus.
And quite an important one too, not the least of which that the engine is turned 90º relative to a Panther(and they have possibly the worst torque steer of any car I've driven). I have a real soft spot for them, though. My dad bought his first, a 1998, in 2001 and had a few. His last was a low mile 1 owner 2001 that he bought on Ebay and drove back from Florida. He has an MKS for a few years, but is back to a 2020 Continental now that he bought new(I actually like the MKS better but won't tell him that-just wish I'd bought it from him...)

In any case, I agree that these prices seem nuts, starting with $800 for a single rear caliper. Brake parts for these are plentiful and inexpensive and I'd think that much money would do a full 4 wheel brake job including quality calipers.

Assuming the car has the active air suspension, then the repair estimate is fair; those systems are very costly to replace, especially if they are using OE approved parts. However, that does not mean that it's worth spending that kind of money on the car. That decision is up to you.

It's a lot of money, but if the rest of the car is really nice, and this expense of $6300 will make the car like new, then it's far cheaper than getting another really clean used luxury car. The greatest risk to this approach is that if you get into a situation where the car it totaled in a wreck, you'll never get the money back out of the car from the insurance company; approximately $12,000 when you consider car value PLUS repair expenses.

That "ride control" category is completely obfuscated. What are they doing to the "Front right suspensi" over and over? If I'm getting a printed estimate, I want it legible.

I haven't tracked the latest Continental-- it used to be more obviously a Ford Taurus. But if you dump a 4.6L V8 in where a 3.0 V6 sits and don't completely reengineer the entire front end, I can see stuff wearing out fast. Perhaps your car is "only worth 6k" because it eats front end parts, and fixing it will make it nicer than its competition that... needs work. Car looks nice from my house!

There's that old saying-- fast, cheap, good, pick any two. Looks like going to this place, you'll only get one, a fast job.

Regarding the sticky caliper pins, I suspect they took the old ones out and lacking a way of getting new ones quickly, cleaned them up and put them back. It's kind of a hack because this gets the chrome plating off and they quickly corrode and stick again. IDK if your rear calipers use the main pads for the parking brake (vs a "top hat" with tiny internal drum) but these mechanisms jam and drag a lot of the time.

It sucks that you can't get into a "good" mechanic on any reasonable timeline. This is what a graying demographic looks like.

I think time is getting to your cars. Your philosophy seems to be that the odometer is a finite measure of a car's lifespan. But salt gets to moving brake parts and age gets to suspension bushings. And they don't even make... cars... sedans... like they used to so the second hand marketplace is spartan.

Good luck!

Back