Rear Suspension Grand Marquis LS 1998

Hi Guys

I have a doubt with my car, I have seen many other cars same year, before and after too, and what I see on my rear suspension is lower than front suspension!
I measured and rear suspension is 2" lower then front. The picture attached is not my car, but I draw a line just as a reference! Is this normal or something happened with rear suspension? Also, my car has all shock absorbers new, and when I go through the speed bumps with certain speed, not too slow, the car pass it, but going down and crash the floor over the bumps, front and rear are same, is this normal for the weight of the car or the coil just are damaged? I had a Crown Victoria 1986 before and did the same, only on speed bumps. Thanks!

Attachments

• lower 2 inches.jpg
    lower 2 inches.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 20
Hi Guys

I have a doubt with my car, I have seen many other cars same year, before and after too, and what I see on my rear suspension is lower than front suspension!
I measured and rear suspension is 2" lower then front. The picture attached is not my car, but I draw a line just as a reference! Is this normal or something happened with rear suspension? Also, my car has all shock absorbers new, and when I go through the speed bumps with certain speed, not too slow, the car pass it, but going down and crash the floor over the bumps, front and rear are same, is this normal for the weight of the car or the coil just are damaged? I had a Crown Victoria 1986 before and did the same, only on speed bumps. Thanks!
Did this car originally have auto air levelling suspension?

Ok. So, finally is to change all 4, right? Thanks
If you're happy with the ride of the front suspension, not bottoming out too bad, decent ride, I'd just do the rear for now and go from there. Looks like $60 or so for rear Moog coils on Rock Auto. I've got Moog front coils on my Jeep that I put on about 6-7 years ago and they're doing fine.

If you're happy with the ride of the front suspension, not bottoming out too bad, decent ride, I'd just do the rear for now and go from there. Looks like $60 or so for rear Moog coils on Rock Auto. I've got Moog front coils on my Jeep that I put on about 6-7 years ago and they're doing fine.
Thanks, the rear are lower 2" if I compare them with the front, but when pass over the bumps, even new shock absorbers, hit the floor in the middle just over the transmission location and when rear pass over the bumps hit the case of the canister! So, I guess I need to change them too.

What happened is somebody took the original automatic load leveling rear air shocks out and replaced them with standard shocks. They were supposed to install load adjusting shocks with the coil springs going over the shocks. Load leveling shocks allow you to manually adjust the ride height instead of doing so automatically like the factory air shocks do.

1998 Mercury Grand Marquis RockAuto

These are possibly the best springs available from the aftermarket for that car. Moog, KYB, Delco are all generic, LESJÖFORS makes to OE size and compression specs. they make a cargo spring for this one which should help your situation.

Look in the engine compartment on the driver's side next to the windshield washer pump. There might be a suspension leveling compressor there.

Marquis Compressor.jpeg

Last edited:
My dad had a 2002 Grand Marquis and it came from the factory with coil springs. I would imagine that your particular car has the original coil springs.

These are the rear air shocks the car would've originally had with the air lines going to the compressor.

Monroe MA815.jpeg

Last edited:
These are the coil over shocks you would install if you were deleting the automatic leveling air shocks in the post above.

Monroe 58568.jpeg

Last edited:
Or you can be a baller and get the ADTR coilovers. A good friend has them on a Vic and a F-100 with a Vic frame swap and they handle dreamy.
I read the description. They make it sound like the car with air leveling suspension doesn't have coil springs in the back. I guess they're saying there's air bags instead. They make it confusing.

Back