What to expect: PepBoys Gen. Service Tech?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was thinking what you're thinking. I worked in a TV station that was automating with crummy computer servers that were a nightmare to keep alive. So my job description changed to "IT" without the pay to match. So I went to work for a tire shop that paid minimum wage to stand there and then min wage again for flat rate. So it was a semi livable wage in a lower cost of living situation. I looked at it as a springboard towards master tech or something at a dealer.

The tire shop was like any other chain... no money paid for the low man on the totem pole to go give "free air" and by god did the customers love that free air. We had the typical multi point inspection for upsells, so I'd put a car on the lift and look around underneath fo rissues when doing a battery which lead to the customers being all, huh?

Then I broke my ankle working too fast, motivated by that flat rate. Went crawling back to TV for a few more years before I quit. Now I'm a civilian mechanic for the Navy which is an amazingly mint job-- half physical, half paperwork. You don't need to have fantastic strength in your knees-- there are riggers for that-- but you would need to squeeze in some real hidey holes.
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Dumc87,

What ultimately do you want to do as a career choice ?

Good question!

When I was younger, I thought I'd be an architect, until I found out I have a distaste for number crunching. Later on, I thought I'd like to work for an NFL team. Like a scout, or something in player personnel. Ever see "Draft Day" with Kevin Costner? Was my dream job until I learned how ridiculously hard it'd be for a relative nobody to achieve GM status, and once achieved, how volatile the industry is.

I had hoped going to Valencia (local college, assuming you're familiar with it) would help me find some direction, but nothing's really surfaced.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: eljefino
I was thinking what you're thinking. I worked in a TV station that was automating with crummy computer servers that were a nightmare to keep alive. So my job description changed to "IT" without the pay to match. So I went to work for a tire shop that paid minimum wage to stand there and then min wage again for flat rate. So it was a semi livable wage in a lower cost of living situation. I looked at it as a springboard towards master tech or something at a dealer.

The tire shop was like any other chain... no money paid for the low man on the totem pole to go give "free air" and by god did the customers love that free air. We had the typical multi point inspection for upsells, so I'd put a car on the lift and look around underneath fo rissues when doing a battery which lead to the customers being all, huh?

Then I broke my ankle working too fast, motivated by that flat rate. Went crawling back to TV for a few more years before I quit. Now I'm a civilian mechanic for the Navy which is an amazingly mint job-- half physical, half paperwork. You don't need to have fantastic strength in your knees-- there are riggers for that-- but you would need to squeeze in some real hidey holes.
lol.gif

Well, I guess our paths were/are similar... Hopefully I don't break an ankle!! I did flip my meniscus while helping a friend install tie rod ends in his Honda, which led to my knee surgery that's prohibited me from enlisting into the Air Force (so far) so I guess even that is similar. Ha!

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
Originally Posted By: bubbatime
It seems to me that your current job pays twice as much as a tire tech, AND you get to sit inside in the AC? What the heck??!!

I would never do this job again, but the Dept of Corrections in most states WILL hire you (they need warm bodies to sit in chairs, nothing more), pay for your training and give you a salary of $35k to $60k depending on which state you live in. They hired me at 19... My interview consisted of the warden asking me if I could shoot a gun, and if need be aim that gun at an escaping inmate. "Um, yeah sure I guess, if that's legal," I said. Warden shook my hand and said, "You are hired."

A 13 second interview, and I was hired. At the time I was almost homeless, so it was a great opportunity.

WOW how times have changed. My cousin just started as a corrections officer in MA after passing a series of tests and evaluations.

State prison systems vary widely in how well they evaluate applicants and this is largely based upon how much they pay entry level staff.
A higher paying state is usually in a position to be more selective in who they hire since the higher wage will attract a larger applicant pool.
Some Southern states have notoriously low pay for new hires.
That said, the job market is tightening and most states are facing some challenges in attracting and retaining new corrections staff. Retention is a problem because many departments are short staffed and this brings mandatory overtime. While the money might be good, people who have a life might find three surprise doubles a week a bit more than they want to deal with, since it leaves them time for little more than sleep when not working.
For the right person, a prison can be a good career and does offer upward mobility.
Most wardens started out in some entry level position in the system in which they work.

Working as a corrections officer would suck the life out of me being around nasty violent criminals.

That and working in a slaughterhouse would be jobs I would absolutely dread.

Dumc87,

I'm familiar with Valencia College. You should finish your degree since you only have a few credits remaining.

I met a Valencia grad a while back at a work gathering.

Dumc87,

I'm familiar with Valencia College. You should finish your degree since you only have a few credits remaining.

I met a Valencia grad a while back at a work gathering.

Once I can get the expendable income to complete my AS degree, you bet I am finishing that sucker!

Working as a corrections officer would suck the life out of me being around nasty violent criminals.

That and working in a slaughterhouse would be jobs I would absolutely dread.

Working in a prison is nothing anyone who hasn't had the experience can understand and it does vary by state. Some states have real gang problems while others don't, for example. Some states run their facilities on a superior force model while others rely upon a system of carrots and sticks for the inmates. Prison is entirely different from what you see and hear in the popular media or even NPR/NPB.
You are obviously not one to pursue this as a career or even a gig, so I'll leave it at that.
I'll add that being the new guy at a PB isn't going to be a bowl of cherries either.
I wish you the best in this endeavor. There's no telling where it might lead, but that is part of the fun of life and jobs. You never know what might develop for you if you make the effort.

fdcg27,

As always good advice.

Dumc87,

The key is to find something you like doing, most jobs pay peanuts when first starting out until you get the necessary experience. Grunt work definitely gives you the hands on experience employers want.

Too many young folks are unwilling to do the grunt work, then wonder why nobody wants to hire them.

fdcg27,

As always good advice.

Dumc87,

The key is to find something you like doing, most jobs pay peanuts when first starting out until you get the necessary experience. Grunt work definitely gives you the hands on experience employers want.

Too many young folks are unwilling to do the grunt work, then wonder why nobody wants to hire them.

May as well give it a shot.
I've sent out a few applications to other places too.

Just gotta keep on keeping on!

Well, so far I've enjoy the learning aspect of being at PepBoys. I can mount, dismount, balance and repair tires haha.

Knowing their "top dog" mechanic definitely has helped me avoid some of the disaster experiences other GST's have had.

I can tell it's not something I'd do long term, but like the mechanics helping me out have told me, it's a good stepping stone.

I do admit that being in a shop environment makes me feel like I'm in my element versus the cube farm I worked at.

Originally Posted By: Dumc87
Well,

I do admit that being in a shop environment makes me feel like I'm in my element versus the cube farm I worked at.

Cube farms are horrible for non-entry level jobs.
Just makes you feel like an ADHD tool and distraction city. I've seen call centers with more room and padding between the cubes they went to back in the 90s. Horrible idea and quite debilitating for any type of focus and forget the deep kind that's needed to do a job right.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HondaBroMike
Originally Posted By: Dumc87
Well,

Cube farms are horrible for non-entry level jobs.
Just makes you feel like an ADHD tool and distraction city. I've seen call centers with more room and padding between the cubes they went to back in the 90s. Horrible idea and quite debilitating for any type of focus and forget the deep kind that's needed to do a job right.

The movie Office Space hits the nail on the head!

Good to hear you like your new job.

So far so good! The drive is tedious, over an hour to get there, and the hours are long; but for my first four days at least, I've enjoyed the learning.

I guess my outlook is a major part of why I'm okay so far. Some of the other mechanics noticed my aptitude to learn and have helped me out WAY more than made me feel like an outcast.

Quote:
Some of the other mechanics noticed my aptitude to learn and have helped me out WAY more than made me feel like an outcast.

Same at my job, we go out of way to train the new folks who really want to learn and have the aptitude and great attitude.

Also a technical career field that requires a bit a training to get noobie up to speed, if not they would have a difficult time...

Quote:
Some of the other mechanics noticed my aptitude to learn and have helped me out WAY more than made me feel like an outcast.

Same at my job, we go out of way to train the new folks who really want to learn and have the aptitude and great attitude.

Also a technical career field that requires a bit a training to get noobie up to speed, if not they would have a difficult time...

I've been taking initiative to do some of the mundane tasks like take out trash, sweep, make sure inventory is good.

Basically I'm taking the advice that a GST is not a permanent job, but also realizing i can see how a shop is run behind the scenes.

Only been there a week and have been asked to open, close and come in on a day off. Haha

Another follow up:

They work me, A LOT lol

I've averaged 50 hrs a week so far, which may not be a lot to some of you guys, but considering the hour to and hour from drive, I'm away from home between 6 or 7am to 7:30 r 8:30 pm. Can't say it's worth the GST pay to be away from my family so much.

BUT

Having the hook-up with my girlfriends dad, I realize how much more I could make simply by getting ASE certified in doing brake work. I can already do disc brakes all day, even have the tools to do such.

Once my probationary 90-day period is over, a few more possibilities could open up. If anything, I am happy that I can say I have some legitimate shop experience now. I definitely like the diagnosis and repair world MUCH better than the mundane cubicle world.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back