What happens if high tech workers making six figures are no longer a hot commodity?

Similar to my story above. That same person might be able to calculate the trajectory of a space ship to intercept Mars two years from now while earning a high six figure salary. Why not delegate the garage door programming? But, I think we have made the point and we are straying way off topic (the enjoyment of making fun of engineer mentality is overwhelming - I suffer from layman engineer brain disfunction).
To be fair to the guy, electrical engineering is a pretty broad and diverse practice. He could be specializing in embedded software, digital electronics, power electronics, electrical distribution, bio-electronics, etc. Lots of different areas to specialize as an electrical engineer. Sometimes I know I could spend time figuring out how to do something on my car or I could just take it to my buddy that is a mechanic and does it everyday. He'll get it done in a day so I can use the car for work the next day versus me messing around without all the right tools for a few days

What happens if high tech workers making six figures are no longer a "hot commodity"?

I have two nephews that live in Phoenix, in their late 20s, that make low six figures per year. Neither has a college education. Both are homeowners in the greater Phoenix area. Both are in the high-tech arena, and work remotely. Both are employed by different firms investigating on-line fraud/ issues. I assume they know what they are doing, yet neither are formally educated in cyber.

What happens to people like my nephews if they are laid off? Maybe cyber-crime professionals are immune- but I recall in the 1980s and 1990s programmers were vulnerable to being laid off. And if people like my nephews are laid off, no advanced education and no other known skillsets- are they still able to earn low six figures?
What happens? They have to roll up their sleeves and get their hands dirty working a trade.

Where I used to live, one of my neighbors there is an electrical engineer. He emailed me one day saying his AC wasn't working and if I could recommend someone to fix it. I told him I'd come over and take a look at it.

Run capacitor was "puffy". We went to a HVAC supply house and got another one and I put it in for him.

He told me he didn't know how to do any of what I just did, and he was in fact afraid to open the unit!
He must have been a terrible electrical engineer.

Let's state the obvious... Edward Snowden didn't go to college, didn't complete Army basic training and managed to unravel a system that was completely out of control but no one knew it. Am I shocked? Kinda but we live in a age where thirty kids that are thirty living at home still can do quite a bit on these computers and it's all because they have plenty of time to do it. I want to have faith in our younger people but unfortunately I might not be able to see what others see. I hope that when the SHTF that our young people can answer the call in cyber security and help our government fight where the new battle that's hardly fought on the battlefield anymore.

I always wonder why people assume people laying asphalt and general laborers don't get paid well. They certainly do here - way, way above minimum wage, and work a ton of overtime hours in the "construction" season, and get the winter off. And a general laborer on a prevailing wage job here starts at $37 an hour.
It’s all in the definition. Prevailing wage workers aren’t the ones trimming trees in a neighborhood. Different tiers to every job.

Cyber security is a religion in paperwork. They are not programmers.
BTW, CISSP is what you need to be taken seriously and applicants must have at least four years of work experience — even with a four-year degree, advanced degree, or one of the approved certifications.

If the employer will help with the cost I would definitely go for a BS degree. CISSP also. It's hard to know how long a skill will be in demand before it's sent offshore to India or elsewhere. Being able to work remote means that if you can do the job from home that it can be done from India also.

I work on the mainframe at a hospitality company. Who knows how long they will be using a mainframe. My retirement is not far off however. But I said that a few years ago when I was 65 also.

If the employer will help with the cost I would definitely go for a BS degree. CISSP also. It's hard to know how long a skill will be in demand before it's sent offshore to India or elsewhere. Being able to work remote means that if you can do the job from home that it can be done from India also.

I work on the mainframe at a hospitality company. Who knows how long they will be using a mainframe. My retirement is not far off however. But I said that a few years ago when I was 65 also.
Most banks still run cobol on a mainframe, which is why your ATM withdrawal shows as pending until 9:00PM or whenever they get around to running a batch.

Your probably employable for another 30 years at the rate these places progress.

Someone on here claims he has multiple real estate investments-but he crawls under vehicles to fix to repair and the "flip" them. I don't know if I believe him about his rentals.

And does a vent thread on here about a $5.00 charge at a junk yard.
Some of us do dirty work we could afford to pay others to do. And we complain about prices just like the rest of you.

Remember these two old adages, "A million dollars is made ten dollars at a time." and "Your first million is hard work, your second million is inevitable."

If you're still skeptical I suggest you read, "The Millionaire Next Door".

He said his nephews were in their late 20's, making low six figures. I take that they are 26-29, making more than $125k, less than $250k. That's quite a range and a LOT OF FREAKING MONEY for someone without a college degree, younger than 30 years old.

I'd hope they are expanding their skills. They didn't end up with a job paying that much because they are stupid or lazy. Are there bad IT people? Heck yes, just like there's sorry/pathetic every trade/job. If they were raised right and are still guided right, they will be ok.
To be fair, there are a lot of dealership mechanics making "low 6-figures" at that age around here without college degrees too. But any job nowadays, requires continuing education and a willingness to continually expand your skillset - as many jobs rarely go unchanged for more than a few years.

$100k is almost a starting salary in most HCOL areas. 1-bd apts are in the low $2k/mo range in many areas.

Can you pull a guy out of his air conditioned office where he sits all day in front of a computer writing software and put him with an asphalt paving crew when it's 100°F? Most times no. He won't last an hour.
First off, why do you want to do that? Just like pulling a asphalt paving crew in a cube to program software without training, what is the point.

Second, labor market is really a demand and supply balance. If you are at the end of your career you probably can't change much but if you are at the beginning of your career, don't enter careers that have negative future is the better choice. This is why in a lot of jobs the average workers are beyond retirement age.

I also believe, with enough exercise and training, many office workers can be trained physically and mentally to do a lot of the tough blue-collar jobs like asphalt paving, but why? If they don't need the money why go for a harder job that you love and enjoy in a more comfortable environment, with safer workplace?

First off, why do you want to do that? Just like pulling a asphalt paving crew in a cube to program software without training, what is the point.

Second, labor market is really a demand and supply balance. If you are at the end of your career you probably can't change much but if you are at the beginning of your career, don't enter careers that have negative future is the better choice. This is why in a lot of jobs the average workers are beyond retirement age.

I also believe, with enough exercise and training, many office workers can be trained physically and mentally to do a lot of the tough blue-collar jobs like asphalt paving, but why? If they don't need the money why go for a harder job that you love and enjoy in a more comfortable environment, with safer workplace?

Lots of blue collar jobs are physically demanding and will wear out your back, knees, ankles, etc….

Lots of blue collar jobs are physically demanding and will wear out your back, knees, ankles, etc….
Yeah, a lot of those guys are a bit rough on themselves too, some work harder, some work smarter... Some can't be bothered to ask for help lifting stuff that should two guys should do, etc...
I don't know what I learned in HS phys ed, but I don't remember basic lessons on how to take care of your body.. Stuff like diet, stretching, basic strength exercises. The guys I know who do physical labor into their 50-60's take care of themselves and are in better shape, injury wise, than guys doing desk jobs or trucking.

Yeah, a lot of those guys are a bit rough on themselves too, some work harder, some work smarter... Some can't be bothered to ask for help lifting stuff that should two guys should do, etc...
I don't know what I learned in HS phys ed, but I don't remember basic lessons on how to take care of your body.. Stuff like diet, stretching, basic strength exercises. The guys I know who do physical labor into their 50-60's take care of themselves and are in better shape, injury wise, than guys doing desk jobs or trucking.

Human body can be trained for tougher physical or mental demanding work. My grandpa (accountant) went into construction when he couldn't find work in accounting to survive, he turned out ok. My father went from being a machinist to a real estate agent, works out ok as well. Take some getting used to but it is a job, you can train to do it but it is really a personal choice and demand / supply / pay balance.

Again, some people enjoy desk jobs more, despite paid less and requires student loans to get there. Some do it because it is a less stressful life and it is ok about it.

I have done labor and desk job. There is no comparison. Desk jobs are for sissys like me. Easy money, in comparison; I don't care what you say.

Back