What to expect: PepBoys Gen. Service Tech?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: bubbatime
It seems to me that your current job pays twice as much as a tire tech, AND you get to sit inside in the AC? What the heck??!!

I would never do this job again, but the Dept of Corrections in most states WILL hire you (they need warm bodies to sit in chairs, nothing more), pay for your training and give you a salary of $35k to $60k depending on which state you live in. They hired me at 19... My interview consisted of the warden asking me if I could shoot a gun, and if need be aim that gun at an escaping inmate. "Um, yeah sure I guess, if that's legal," I said. Warden shook my hand and said, "You are hired."

A 13 second interview, and I was hired. At the time I was almost homeless, so it was a great opportunity.

Well that's something to consider! Thanks for the heads up!

Originally Posted By: Dumc87
I guess you could say a family hook up? Don't want to divulge too much, I just know one of the important people that work at this shop.

That's good enough for me. I just wonder how people get jobs there.

I can do that right now! I was 2 lbs over when I first met the recruiter; so I lost 15 lbs just to show them I wanted to do this. I have a collections on my report; got a payment plan setup the week of just to show that I was serious.

finally get ALL my paperwork together, and the medical history leads him to flat out telling me no, can't work with ya.

I've been advised to go see another recruiter, but also been warned of "recruiting poaching" which may not end up well.

Sounds like you are motivated which is good. A minor knee surgery might not keep you out although a reconstruction might.

Don't worry about poaching, that is something the recruiters have to watch, not you.

In your place I would look at another service or another recruiter; be up front about your surgery....the first guy probably was just lazy and didn't want to do the work....your medical status is decided by medical personnel, not the sarge behind the desk.

As far as Pep Boys, cutting your pay in half is going to be tough. Can't guarantee overtime and commission can be hard to beat when you are new. Expect to work hard, be cold in winter and hot in summer.

run run run. From everything I hear the "cheaper" service stations tend to pay nothing, work you harder and very limited mobility. Personally I would try online or a night school for your degree in auto and try to get into a dealership or a higher paying garage.

I work in a large financial bank, don't really care for my job but I make far more than I could make rotating tires. With two children under two a pay decrease of half would be almost impossible. That being said I had always toyed with the idea so I understand where you are coming from

A PB opened near me and a kindly old lady who had worked all over the county volunteered the observation that, "this is the worst place to work. EVEY customer has a complaint".

I'd expect a clientele seeking "cheap auto repairs" to be complainers.

Maybe an adult education program near you has auto tech. Go to school at night/weekends in a structured, accredited manner.
You'd catch on quick and those teachers get calls from local businesses all the time.

I don't know about YOUR PB (and who you are connected to) but the guys at the 2 near me do not look like the cream of the auto tech world.
Can your connection be a springboard to other things or does it just get you hired....AT A PEP BOYS? Think about it.

Best of luck

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
It seems to me that your current job pays twice as much as a tire tech, AND you get to sit inside in the AC? What the heck??!!

I would never do this job again, but the Dept of Corrections in most states WILL hire you (they need warm bodies to sit in chairs, nothing more), pay for your training and give you a salary of $35k to $60k depending on which state you live in. They hired me at 19... My interview consisted of the warden asking me if I could shoot a gun, and if need be aim that gun at an escaping inmate. "Um, yeah sure I guess, if that's legal," I said. Warden shook my hand and said, "You are hired."

A 13 second interview, and I was hired. At the time I was almost homeless, so it was a great opportunity.

WOW how times have changed. My cousin just started as a corrections officer in MA after passing a series of tests and evaluations.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Dumc87,

Is PepBoys a temporary job or a career change ?

Sounds like you need a career at your age...

I do! That's why I was stoked about the Air Force!

Originally Posted By: Kuato

I can do that right now! I was 2 lbs over when I first met the recruiter; so I lost 15 lbs just to show them I wanted to do this. I have a collections on my report; got a payment plan setup the week of just to show that I was serious.

finally get ALL my paperwork together, and the medical history leads him to flat out telling me no, can't work with ya.

I've been advised to go see another recruiter, but also been warned of "recruiting poaching" which may not end up well.

Sounds like you are motivated which is good. A minor knee surgery might not keep you out although a reconstruction might.

Don't worry about poaching, that is something the recruiters have to watch, not you.

In your place I would look at another service or another recruiter; be up front about your surgery....the first guy probably was just lazy and didn't want to do the work....your medical status is decided by medical personnel, not the sarge behind the desk.

As far as Pep Boys, cutting your pay in half is going to be tough. Can't guarantee overtime and commission can be hard to beat when you are new. Expect to work hard, be cold in winter and hot in summer.

That was my understanding! I know it's a balance of explaining in detail vs keeping unnecessary information closed, but the tiny scar on my knee is visible so I am up front in letting them know it was to fix a meniscus issue, and I recovered well enough that I didn't even need physical therapy. I know I need to increase my leg strength, and I've already started working on that on my own.

One thing that may benefit me from the PepBoys gig is the fast pace, physical environment. Paid conditioning! And having a "hook up" may alter my experience from others who didn't have a previous relationship with a manager.

Originally Posted By: Kira
A PB opened near me and a kindly old lady who had worked all over the county volunteered the observation that, "this is the worst place to work. EVEY customer has a complaint".

Maybe an adult education program near you has auto tech. Go to school at night/weekends in a structured, accredited manner.
You'd catch on quick and those teachers get calls from local businesses all the time.

I don't know about YOUR PB (and who you are connected to) but the guys at the 2 near me do not look like the cream of the auto tech world.
Can your connection be a springboard to other things or does it just get you hired....AT A PEP BOYS? Think about it.

Best of luck

I know he's made a solid living working at this particular location. I wouldn't intend on working at any franchise for a long time, regardless of brand.

They are busy and shorthanded; what I can't verify is if they are shorthanded because they lose people left and right, or because they are busy and can't find good help because mechanics avoid working for franchises. Some of their techs have been there for years. Why that is, I can't say for sure.

Why that is, I can't say for sure.

They must be sticking around for a reason, so it can't be too terrible.

I went for an interview recently with a company and the hiring manager talked about how they are hiring because lately they have been seeing a ton of turnover, and people were leaving for other jobs so it was hard to keep good people.

I couldn't believe he said that. Red flags were waving in my head for the rest of the interview.

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
Why that is, I can't say for sure.

They must be sticking around for a reason, so it can't be too terrible.

I went for an interview recently with a company and the hiring manager talked about how they are hiring because lately they have been seeing a ton of turnover, and people were leaving for other jobs so it was hard to keep good people.

I couldn't believe he said that. Red flags were waving in my head for the rest of the interview.

Actually, most of his guys he's known awhile. I met most of them at his house for the McGregor/Mayweather fight. So they get along well enough to hang outside of work.

Must count for something, right? haha

What does your wife say about you wanting a career change ?

Just a girlfriend for now lol
She wants me to take the job but she also already told her dad it may not be permanent. Sounds like they need to replace a guy who is retiring; half of their techs are younger than me, the other half much older. Like I said, this particular PepBoys may be different than others due to how long it's been at the current location.

I start on Monday, so we'll see what happens! I am looking forward to learning the ins and outs of shop life firsthand, so even if I end up leaving due to not making money, at least I'll have some actual experience in a shop instead of vicarious experience via YouTube, ha!

That's the attitude to have.

I did some YouTubing on what to expect as a general service tech, and attitude + work ethic seem to be the most desired traits. I know I'll be the "fng" anywhere I go, but at least in a shop environment, I'll have a chance to see a completely new environment and experience something entirely different than data entry. Maybe I'll hate it, maybe I'll love it, maybe I'll just like it okay.

Right now I am just looking for something new and something to pay some bills. I have enough "toys" and don't really aspire to want anything materialistic, so now is a good time to learn and take a step back and analyze my situation.

Heck, beside upgrades for my toys, the only thing I want is a couple Vanguard mutual funds. Ha!

While on YouTube, I watched a couple how-to's on mounting and balancing tires. Looks way more interesting, as mundane as it may be for a technician, than the usual data entry stuff I was doing. Sure, it isn't upgrading a sports car or anything crazy out of this world, but I have an appreciation for maintenance. I'm sure a lot of BITOG'ers have a unique appreciation for clean, fresh fluids and tires with very good tread and good sidewalls.

EDIT: Also, Mr. Nice, I do still want to enlist, but until my knees feel good and/or I can get a waiver, I need to focus on what I can do for the moment in terms of paying bills and putting foot on the table. I've noticed some extra activity lately from the Air Force, although I have no idea what is actually going on, it would be intense if N. Korea is more unstable than the media is letting on.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Kira

Best of luck

I know he's made a solid living working at this particular location. I wouldn't intend on working at any franchise for a long time, regardless of brand.

They are busy and shorthanded; what I can't verify is if they are shorthanded because they lose people left and right, or because they are busy and can't find good help because mechanics avoid working for franchises. Some of their techs have been there for years. Why that is, I can't say for sure.

Wanted to follow up on this response as well:

I don't have the current luxury of paying for classes (already have $10k in student loans, and still 3 classes away from my AS degree in Business Admin :eek:) so attending a local program is out of the question. I do agree that if one has the option and the ability to attend a technical degree/certificate from a local community college, DO IT! I've seen more people be successful with a trade certification than a generica AS/AA degree. My pursuit of an AS degree was being able to qualify for a Pell Grant early on (free education!) and the time to attend classes. Life got in the way though, but I haven't given up on my AS degree yet.

Anyway, I have a feeling that since I'm near Orlando, there is an abundance of techs who can't find an opportunity. UTI pumps out kids who paid $30k for skills they can learn from YouTube and some shops actually avoid their techs. Some of those who specialize, like in Nissan, get jobs at dealerships, but I don't fall into any of those pools of prospective employees. The only reason I have a shot even at "just a PepBoys" is one of the lead techs, my gf's father, saw the work I've done to my Jeep and knows about my work ethic. I don't sit still well lol

In short, when I see techs who have gone to school unable to find jobs in a shop, and suddenly me, being from a clerical/date entry field the last ten years, gets a shot at working at any shop; I feel honored.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back