What to expect: PepBoys Gen. Service Tech?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: dishdude
Originally Posted By: Dumc87

Would love a career, unfortunately I've been a victim of the "requires 3+ years experience" for career type jobs I've seen posted that I just don't have experience in. I am keeping my eye out for any possibility of something career oriented.

If it's for a tech type job, don't let that stop you. You already have experience working in a flat rate shop, and don't discount all the years you worked on your own vehicle plus friends and family - that's experience. You never know how few/bad applicants they received, they might give you a call and a chance.

Appreciate the encouragement! I'd hope my 10+ years of wrenching would show some experience.
An apprenticeship or an internship would be right up my alley.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Originally Posted By: Dumc87
Dumc87,

Pep Boys was sued for not paying their shop mechanics overtime, do a Google search for more info.
Unfortunately you're a hard working guy getting abused for less than $8 an hour, look for a much better job.
OT: sounds like you need a career.... not a temporary low paying job.

Would love a career, unfortunately I've been a victim of the "requires 3+ years experience" for career type jobs I've seen posted that I just don't have experience in. I am keeping my eye out for any possibility of something career oriented.

Go into a technical field that has paid internships so you get paid to learn.

Is the military still an option ?
Does your future father inlaw know you won't last that long at PepBoys ?

You're definitely getting underpaid for all those crazy hours you are working.
frown.gif

I'm not sure about the Air Force anymore. It would have been fantastic for me to be getting through tech school right about now instead of where I am at now. Working in the shop, I've had to bend, push, pull, lift, climb, jump, etc. and my knees have gotten me through. So I know I can handle the majority of the physical aspect required for basic training. Won't be a Marine or Ranger anytime soon though, much respect to those who are!

I worked in this position while I was in college.

Oil changes, tire changes & rotations, headlight changes, easy things like that were pretty much all I did. Very easy and laid back job.

Lockheed Martin in Orlando has paid internships. Awesome company to work for from what a close relative tells me. They spend a ton of money training their employees and a great place to grow professionally in your career. Some jobs just require a 2 year associates degree in electronics.

http://search.lockheedmartinjobs.com/ListJobs/All/Search/state/fl/keyword/internship/

http://search.lockheedmartinjobs.com/ListJobs/All/Search/state/fl/keyword/electronics-/

Thanks for the list! Looks like I'm not too far off from qualifying for some of those. Hoping things fall into place so I can finish up my AS degree (3 classes) over summer, and then figure out what Bachelors program I may be able to get into. Pretty sure I'll need my AA though, so I'll need to take a couple foreign language courses, I believe.

Appreciate the direction toward a career!

Originally Posted By: oilpsi2high
I worked in this position while I was in college.

Oil changes, tire changes & rotations, headlight changes, easy things like that were pretty much all I did. Very easy and laid back job.

Good gig for a college job.
Actually had a good day today doing some regular GST work alongside helping a couple mechanics today. .

You can also use that associates degree to repair, test, calibrate and perform preventive maintenance (PM) on various medical equipment. You can work at hospitals or be out on the road doing field service for laboratory / medical equipment manufacturers.

Find out when the Central Florida Biomedical Instrumentation Society meets up and attend. Lots of great job leads and inside information from various folks / equipment reps working for different companies.

http://cfbis.org/about/

http://www.aami.org/membershipcommunity/content.aspx?ItemNumber=1117

I did this job for 30+ years and I was a biomedical equipment technician in the Air National Guard for 8 years.

Id keep looking to get out of this place Theyll never advance you with training, and the more time you work there the more involved jobs youll be getting, which means more money spent on tools needed, and less chance youll beat the clock on the first try. Id look to move to a dealership, where youll start as a lube tech, but if you show them youre willing to learn, eventually youll start going to manufacturer training, and that usually comes with a raise. Plus if youre at a specific manufacturer, youll learn the tricks of that make, making you a more efficient tech. From personal experience, in 2006 I moved from mercedes to BMW, i was a tech for 3 years already. At BMW I started at 13.50 flat rate on the line, at 45 hours you got 100$ bonus, and then 50$ for every 5 hours. I also did Roadside assistance for them, during the day you got 3 flat rate hours per call, at night it was 30$ and 1.5 hours on your clock. Some busy weeks I had over 20 hours from roadside alone, plus 40 on the line made fro a good check. BMW had an excellent online training program, I went thorugh all 30 online classes within 8 months, so they started sending me to tech school in Baltimore, Wood Cliff Lake, or Boston. Paid hotel, 8 hours a day pay, and training. After every 3 classes in house I would move to the next level ( C tech to B tech, etc) This was usually accompnaied by a 1.50 raise per hour. I was a certified Master Tech for BMW in 2008, I calculated they sent me to school for almost 7 months over 2 years, which I was thrilled about. Plus look at this fancy BMW piece of paper that shows what I know! When the recession started, I was the first one laid off. I took my credentials that BMW paid for, went to another shop and started at almost 26/$ hour. I left there after 2 years and openend my own shop, 7 years later were stilll going strong. Its going to take time for you to really start making money, especially with no previous experience. If you can, Id give it 3 years or so before you can really start making decent money, and by that time youll know what youre doing so you can start side jobs at your house for extra money. Its going o take time for you to hone your skills, so you cant really go into this looking for the big money.

GE Healthcare is another company that spends a lot of money training their new employees.
Even if medical equipment doesn't break down, for quality and compliance reasons (Joint Commission) they are constantly testing and doing preventive maintenance.

http://www3.gehealthcare.com/en/about_us...B00A10DB576AE04

Robotic Surgery is definitely a growing field to be in as a field service engineer.
Da Vinci robot is an amazing piece of equipment to see in person during a surgery. I took this photo a few weeks ago when I was in the 'robot room' doing something unrelated.

https://www.intuitivesurgical.com

Video tower, robot and doctor's console

Knowing what I know.... this is the area I'd be wanting to be in if I was looking for a career field with tons of future growth.

Robots are also used for orthopedic surgeries such as the Mako robot from Stryker.

Originally Posted By: Delta
Dang Mr. Nice, too bad you aren't in PA, that stuff is right up my alley. Already do industrial maint. and light electrical...

That's great you have those skills, apply for job(s) that interest you.

Lots of specialities you can go into and make good money and not kill your body.

Hmm... Well I am definitely curious about careers where a company will offer to train.

I embrace the idea of finishing my AS degree, but have no ambition to go on to a Bachelors, if I'm honest.

So that narrows my career choices to what I can do with my AS degree and what company's offer training, like a few Mr Nice has mentioned.

I would give the biomedical industry a shot if I can get one. I will have to look more into that!

I did apply for a CarMax Apprentice Mechanic job, but was denied. That was a bit of a bummer.

Keep looking cause you have to get out of Pep Boys ASAP. A part time bag boy at Publix Supermarket is making more per hour than you. Not trying to be rude but you're waaaay underpaid for busting your butt at PepBoys.

Attend that biomedical meeting, talk to the folks there and tell them you're interested in finding out more info. Tell them you got electrical, mechanical and troubleshooting skills....

I do know that elevator repair pays well for Thyssenkrupp.... but it's very heavy duty work. They have a union with very good benefits package. I was at one hospital last year and a saw these guys working, definitely a hard job and they earn every penny.

This is a perfect job for entry level electronics technician at Lockheed Martin.

Electrical Mechanical Optical Tester / Orlando, FL
2 year degree in electronics necessary

Basic Qualifications
Candidate must be a US Citizen and have the ability to obtain a Department of Defense Secret Clearance.
Ability to use scopes, multimeters, power generators in the testing and verification of electrical, electronic, and electro-optical assemblies.

http://search.lockheedmartinjobs.com/ShowJob/Id/102048/Electrical-Mechanical-Optical-Tester-Orlando,-FL/

Keep looking cause you have to get out of Pep Boys ASAP. A part time bag boy at Publix Supermarket is making more per hour than you. Not trying to be rude but you're waaaay underpaid for busting your butt at PepBoys.

Attend that biomedical meeting, talk to the folks there and tell them you're interested in finding out more info. Tell them you got electrical, mechanical and troubleshooting skills....

I do know that elevator repair pays well for Thyssenkrupp.... but it's very heavy duty work. They have a union with very good benefits package. I was at one hospital last year and a saw these guys working, definitely a hard job and they earn every penny.

Facts aren't rude. Facts are facts; underpaid is underpaid.

I have some electrical skill via soldering and sound system installation. Pretty basic stuff. Not a completely blank canvas, but unfinished for sure. Ha!

Sounds like you have to finish school and move on to something much better.
Lots of options with that 2 year degree...

OT:
I forgot to mention that hourly LM employees are unionized and have great benefits and work conditions.

Sounds like you have to finish school and move on to something much better.
Lots of options with that 2 year degree...

OT:
I forgot to mention that hourly LM employees are unionized and have great benefits and work conditions.

After seeing what my latest check will be, I made a monumental mistake by taking the GST job, financially. It's ruined a few other opportunities beside just being able to pay my routine bills. Argh. The internet, via you guys on this thread, were right.

SO for now I need to increase my short term pay while regrouping what I can do for a career. The hours at PB won't allow me to finish my school, but it's apparent I need to at least get my AS degree finished, so opportunities like Lockheed Martin could surface.

You'll have 25 different avenues of job opportunities with your 2 year degree.
When you do find a job.... I'd definitely advise you to use the tuition reimbursement and get a bachelors degree.

I've seen many people climb the company ladder with continuing education and training at work. A woman I know got a $40,000 raise and promotion after she got her masters degree. She could do the job and had all the knowledge.... it was just a piece of paper holding her back and onto the next step of the ladder.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back