Dealer put in wrong oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there a TSB about running thicker oil in these? Perhaps the mechanics that work on these everyday think the 0W40 is a better oil for this engine? You didnt say what part of the country you are in, but I can see a dealer in hot Arizona for sure using a 40 weight in the summer.

Thanks for the feedback. I tried to call them yesterday, but they had closed. Now I am so curious as to why they did this! Mistake? Is my receipt incorrect and they actually used 5w-30? Did they intend to use out of spec oil? I will call Tuesday after the holiday and find out!

Originally Posted By: hallstevenson
You said it: "recommendation"

It doesn't say "requirement"

Wouldn't bother me if it did say "requirement". I use what I want (which wouldn't be likely to start with a zero).

Ignoring recommendations isn't the usual drift of the advice on here though, so that stuff must be special.

Originally Posted By: fafafooey
Thanks for the feedback. I tried to call them yesterday, but they had closed. Now I am so curious as to why they did this! Mistake? Is my receipt incorrect and they actually used 5w-30? Did they intend to use out of spec oil? I will call Tuesday after the holiday and find out!

You may never know the correct answer. Your dealer services too many cars to remember what they put into yours. Even if they said it was an input error into the computer system, you'll never know for sure.

Look at it this way: if they put in 5W-30, it's all good. If they put in 0W-40, it's all good too (even better).

Either way, it's all good.

0W-40 oil isn't out of spec. It meets API-SN which is what the manual requires. There is absolutely no problems whatsoever to put in xW-40 into your engine. None. Nada. Relax, and enjoy your Infiniti.

Originally Posted By: fafafooey

This should be an interesting phone call. I imagine it will be something like

- "Hi, I had my car in the other day for an oil change and the receipt says you put 0W-40 oil in but Infiniti says to use 5W-30."
- "Oh, sorry sir, 0W-40 automatically prints on the work order and we didn't catch it. We put the proper oil as recommended by Infiniti in your vehicle"
- "So, you put 5W-30 in ?"
- "Yes"
- "But I read on this 'oil-guy-bob' forum..."
- "Oh geez"
- "...that 0W-40 may actually be better for my engine"
- "Sir, if you'd like to schedule another appointment, we can use whatever oil you would like. What days and times are good for you ?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back