Dealer over filled engine (Ford)

Took my 22 Explorer ST into the dealer today at 5k miles for its 2nd and last free oil change. After 3 hours they bring it out and I leave.

On the way home I notice a drop of liquid on the window so I hit the wipers and it smears. Its oil. I stop at a car wash and open the hood to find oil all over the engine. I then notice the fenders appear to have had oil on them also and it was slopply wiped off. I figure they are just idiots and made a mess. I clean it all and chalk it upto idiots at the dealer.

Get home and check oil level after sitting for an hour and it appears to be a QT or so over filled. I really do not want to deal with this dealer again as its 45min away and who says they will do better the 2nd time.

Should I be concerned about this level? The level is marked by my finger. if the low and high dots are 1qt its about that much over.

duslZMl.jpg

There was no aeration or foaming and a quart isn't that much for that particular engine. I overfill my engines by a quart so i don't have to top them up for a very long time.

Now if it was over 30% overfilled of the sump capacity then it can be a concern. As for the mess I'd call the manager and complain, It's a legitimate complaint. They overfilled the engine and made a real big mess.

get a vacumn pump from harbor freight and suck a quart out. they have the pump ones now that you can pump by hand.

Yeah, it’s overfilled and I wouldn’t leave that “extra” in the crankcase, even for a 5k mile OCI.

Toyota offered free oil changes and tire rotations on my 2023 Highlander Hybrid, at least for the first 24 months.

Toyota couldn’t pay me enough to have the oil changed or the tires rotated at one of their dealerships!

“On the way home I notice a drop of liquid on the window so I hit the wipers and it smears. Its oil. I stop at a car wash and open the hood to find oil all over the engine. I then notice the fenders appear to have had oil on them also and it was slopply wiped off. I figure they are just idiots and made a mess. I clean it all and chalk it upto idiots at the dealer.”

That sounds like the oil filler cap was loose or the dipstick was not fully inserted.
To get that much oil on the engine and fenders while changing the oil requires an IQ of about…….12.

Last edited:
.If you are able to get the oil out yourself this is what I did when the dealer overfilled mine (2013 4x4 Tacoma access cab) 4 Lt.)

I purchased 3 oil filters and changed one filter then changed it to another new filter, repeat again them adjusted the oil level.

Bagged the filters and installed on the next few oil changes.

Never went back for the free stuff, but I did take it back for the frame inspection.

Convert
TOMB

My Toyota dealer has done the same. I complained and the next oil change they got the level correct.

Apparently car manufacturers are trying to impart a subliminal (maybe overt?) message to their customers by offering free oil changes and tire rotations for the first 24,000 miles.

After seeing the “quality” of their service work, they’re asking, “do you REALLY want to pay for this level of service from us going forward?”

Thanks for the replys guys. I forgot I had a amazon pump stashed away. Anyways... This is what I pumped out. It's a 1/2 gallon bottle about 1/2 full. Left it alittle high on the dip stick but not much.

The oil looks really clean on the dip stick but what I pumped out is really dark. HMMM

IETRdyV.jpg

I don't like overfilling at all.
Under the hood my VW warns against it. Today many here think it's perfectly fine...
Slightly over filled is usually fine, but once you start reaching that 1 quart and up is when you can start running into problems.

I always fill to manufacturer specifications.

Did the same thing to my 2007 Ranger back in 2007, overfilled and poured all over the engine. Another reason to do your own services.

Is this a V6? If so they take 6qts and there is anote you are supposed to wait 10 or so minutes to properly check the level. We had, I stress had, a tech who refused to listen to the waiting 10 minutes part and regularly forced 9+ quarts in these things.

Yeah, 3.0 Ecoboost. I might call and speak to someone. I will not be going back no matter what is offered though.

Yeah, 3.0 Ecoboost. I might call and speak to someone. I will not be going back no matter what is offered though.
Should be 6 quarts of 5w30 and a FL-2062A filter. I forget what the long number for the filter is, as we never switched to the long oil filter numbers, but some dealers use that 6731 number.

Back