06 Trailblazer SS

Status
Not open for further replies.

A friend of mine has the above mentioned vehicle and has asked me if the new M1 Annual Protection would fulfill the requirements for the Corvette engine in the SS. 80 percent of the miles are highway and the vehicle resides in NY and is driven year round. The manual states that only Mobil 5W-30 should be used. The SS has about 90,000 with no leaks or consumption of oil. I'm asking because the more I delve into the variables the more questions I have. Thanks for reading.

The manual may state that only 5w-30 may be used (as with LSX engine versions back to 1998)...but 0/5w-40 oil grades have been used quite successfully in those cars. A strong 0w/30 grade is fine. Same with 10w-30, especially in a warm Calif summer. The thicker grades in warmer California weather makes sense to me. The factory's choice of 5w-30 covers a huge variation in climate and usage. It's not necessarily ideal for everyone either. The owner's manual likely doesn't recommend 15K-20K OCI's for this engine so what's the advantage of using M1 AP? I'd just stick to the recommended OCI's with M1 or equivalent.

Thanks for the feedback. I informed the owner and they told me that the oil is replaced before the OLM indicates a change is needed. Usually when less than 20 percent or less is remaining. Apparently they get nervous leaving the oil in there when it approaches 7000 miles and they were looking for something with greater protective properties(in their mind) so they can leave the oil in there closer to the maximum of what the OLM indicates. I understand their psychological issue here but so I'm playing the role of counselor. Thanks again.

So , he / she is trying to stretch out the OCI to closer to 0% & still maintain peace of mind ?

Ask him how / her much money that will really save ? Then compare that to total cost of ownership of a Corvette ?

To me , changing oil is pretty cheep insurance , especially on a high dollar vehicle .

God bless
Wyr

It's 2017, and advanced oils certainly do exist to go 20,000 miles or 1-year. Mobil 1 Annual Protection 5w30 is perfect here. Mobil tested this oil in turbo engines in severe conditions: "Three vehicles – all featuring turbocharged, direct-injection engines, which are notoriously tough on oil – were tested:
2015 Chevrolet Malibu LT, 2.0L TGDI
2015 Lexus NX 200t, 2.0 L Turbo
2016 Ford Fusion SE, 1.5 L EcoBoost"

I think the factory fill was M1 5w30. But any 5w30 can be used. My choice would be Napa Synthetic, since it's on sale this month.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back