Any Reason To Go Out of Way to Source Castrol 0w30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honest and simple question. If 0w40 Castrol can be had locally, is it worth going out of my way to get the 0w30, even if it is the same price (on sale)? Or, is it superceeded by the 0w40?

Thanks.

Originally Posted By: BTLew81
If 0w40 Castrol can be had locally, is it worth going out of my way to get the 0w30,

I wouldn't.

For your Passat? Nah.

I used to buy one quart at a time for my snowblower when I lived in a super cold climate. One of the auto parts stores that I passed on the way to work had it though.

Honest and simple question. If 0w40 Castrol can be had locally, is it worth going out of my way to get the 0w30, even if it is the same price (on sale)? Or, is it superceeded by the 0w40?

Thanks.

Nope, same base stock. 0W30 though have lower NOACK. But, unless you can get it for same price, not worth it.

Thanks.
You need the purple bottle cap which unscrews backwards and it has to be made in Monaco.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: Miller88
Are you near a Walmart? Walmart always has it.

Walmart in the US has Castrol 0w-30???

No... He meant 0w40.

Define "going out of the way." Unless you're in an extremely cold climate. 0W-40 will work just as good. Same base stock (PAO) and add-pack I believe.

Originally Posted By: 1JZ_E46
Define "going out of the way." Unless you're in an extremely cold climate. 0W-40 will work just as good. Same base stock (PAO) and add-pack I believe.

Even in extreme cold it is not necessary. Pour point of both oils is ridiculous, and below -60c.
Granted 0W30 will warm up faster and have better fluidity at lower oil temps.

I don't think there's any reason to worry about 0w-30 over 0w-40 for climate reasons, either. If I can survive with a 5w-XX here, there are few people who need to split hairs between two 0w-XX A3/B4 options.

Fuel efficiency is probably the only thing that will differentiate 0W-30 and 0W-40, and it will be a negligible amount.

Fuel efficiency is probably the only thing that will differentiate 0W-30 and 0W-40, and it will be a negligible amount.

I never noticed any difference between 0W30 and 0W40 Castrol's.

Originally Posted By: edyvw

I never noticed any difference between 0W30 and 0W40 Castrol's.

Well, technically "in theory" any change in operating viscosity/HTHS will affect fuel efficiency. In this case it would almost surely be undetectable.

How far out of the way do you have to go? Autozone sells black Edge 0w30 and if it isn't in stock, they can get it. Also, you can get it at a good price during a "Buy 5 quarts get a filter" sale.

In any case, there isn't much difference between the black Edge 0w30 and 0w40.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back