2019 Mercedes Metris with M274

So the next vehicle being shipped to Ghana is as the title.

A 2019 Metris MPV with the 2.0 M274 engine.

Looking for oil recommendations for the harsher conditions it will experience.

Vehicle is getting fitted with a lift kit and underbody protection once in Country.

My initial thoughts are a 229.3 oil, either Mobil 1 0w40 (which I can source easily in Costco in the UK) or Shell HX7 5w40 which can be sourced easily in Ghana

As far a frequency goes it will be the same as out old Honda Pilot, an annual oil and filter change regardless of miles done, actual mileage covered is around 1500/2000 miles.

Ait filter done at the same time.

We don't get many M274 engined cars in the UK, even cars that can be fitted with the M274 are usually specced with a diesel engine, or one of the Renault petrol engines that Merc fit in the lower spec CLA, A Class, C Class etc

Mobil1 0W40 will cut it. Don't forget, regardless of lift and harsher conditions, the strain on an engine won't be as much as on track, for example. And people use Mobil1 0W40 on track regularly.
I used it on track in BMW before installing the oil cooler, and temperatures would hit 300f (150c) regularly before DME cut power. So, don't overthink this.
I do not know the quality of fuel in Ghana, so Mobil1 0W40 will give you that robust TBN.

If that vehicle is going to see some heavy-duty exploitation, I would pay more attention to transmission.

It’s not going to be driven by me, I think it has the 7 speed transmission that though not as smooth as the 9 is far more robust.

Apart from the odd torque converter failure the 7 speed has a good reputation

My old S350d had the 7 speed and I know of loads with well over 200k on a 7 speed.

Mobil1 0W40 will cut it. Don't forget, regardless of lift and harsher conditions, the strain on an engine won't be as much as on track, for example. And people use Mobil1 0W40 on track regularly.
I used it on track in BMW before installing the oil cooler, and temperatures would hit 300f (150c) regularly before DME cut power. So, don't overthink this.
I do not know the quality of fuel in Ghana, so Mobil1 0W40 will give you that robust TBN.
Fuel quality is good, I tend to stick with Shell but there are others including a Ghanaian owned one called Goil.

I also run Redex in every tank

It’s not going to be driven by me, I think it has the 7 speed transmission that though not as smooth as the 9 is far more robust.

Apart from the odd torque converter failure the 7 speed has a good reputation

My old S350d had the 7 speed and I know of loads with well over 200k on a 7 speed.
I mean, if you expect some heavy duty stuff, off roading, transmission cooling is imperative. I wouldn’t worry that much about engine oil as long as it is MB229.5 approved.

I mean, if you expect some heavy duty stuff, off roading, transmission cooling is imperative. I wouldn’t worry that much about engine oil as long as it is MB229.5 approved.
It’s not being used off road, but the roads are potholed away from the Cities, and the speed bumps on major roads are huge.

If you drive something like a Camry it would get beached on some of them

Hence the lift kit, the Metris has a long wheel base and it will be at risk of getting beached.

Quite often when going from the made roads to side streets the transition is angled poorly, some side streets are not surfaced, even in Accra.

Autocorrect on my iPhone caught me out.

The post further up should have read “it’s going to be driven by me” lol

It’s not being used off road, but the roads are potholed away from the Cities, and the speed bumps on major roads are huge.

If you drive something like a Camry it would get beached on some of them

Hence the lift kit, the Metris has a long wheel base and it will be at risk of getting beached.

Quite often when going from the made roads to side streets the transition is angled poorly, some side streets are not surfaced, even in Accra.

Autocorrect on my iPhone caught me out.

The post further up should have read “it’s going to be driven by me” lol
Ah OK, I get it. I would not worry about anything then. Just approved MB229.5 and hit the gas.

Turbo DI and Ghana? Not ideal perhaps.
Probably more dusty than England. I'd change oil and filters (all) more frequently.
MB 229.5 of course and don't miss diff and transmission.

Turbo DI and Ghana? Not ideal perhaps.
Probably more dusty than England. I'd change oil and filters (all) more frequently.
MB 229.5 of course and don't miss diff and transmission.

Petrol engines are less problematic in Ghana than diesels.

Though that may be due to owners buying diesel from the smaller 3rd party fuel stations, I only venture away from Shell if I am desperate.

Air filters are indeed an issue, hence the overkill of the filter being changed every year even if only 1000 miles have been driven

May look into a Pipercross or K&N as then I can just clean an re-oil.

Please send pics once you get the lift kit installed on your rig. IMO either oil will be fine.
This is the lift kit I am fitting, I did look into the kits which are just spacers on standard suspension but am going for this kit instead

Probably not going for the off road wheels, though may look into slightly chunkier tyres

IMG_3505.jpeg

Here's what Mercedes have to say about it...
1708603120472.jpg

1708603190186.jpg

The principal recommendation is for MB 229.5.

Costco in the UK have stopped stocking M1 unfortunately. It was so well priced too!

In fact their range of oils now is somewhat disappointing. Just an array of 5w30's in a few different specifications.

As far as I can make out the only practical difference between 229.3 and 229.5 is how many miles you can run the oil for so the choice may not be important if miles are lowish or it will be serviced regularly. When you reset the service reminder it will ask which of the two has been used and that will determine how many miles before the next reminder if they are done in less than 1 year.

Costco in the UK have stopped stocking M1 unfortunately. It was so well priced too!

In fact their range of oils now is somewhat disappointing. Just an array of 5w30's in a few different specifications.

I saw it at my local Costco a week or so ago.

Maybe they are just selling out their current stock, they still stock Castrol Edge 5w30 and Magnatec 5w30.

I want a thicker oil though

As far as I can make out the only practical difference between 229.3 and 229.5 is how many miles you can run the oil for so the choice may not be important if miles are lowish or it will be serviced regularly. When you reset the service reminder it will ask which of the two has been used and that will determine how many miles before the next reminder if they are done in less than 1 year.
It will be annual oil and filter, vehicle will only cover a few thousand miles a year.

Air filter probably changed at the same time, haven’t even researched the fuel filter yet, but if it’s changeable it will be done every other year.

I saw it at my local Costco a week or so ago.

Maybe they are just selling out their current stock, they still stock Castrol Edge 5w30 and Magnatec 5w30.

I want a thicker oil though

You might be right. The stock was dwindling in Cardiff for about 6 months before it eventually disappeared.

You might be right. The stock was dwindling in Cardiff for about 6 months before it eventually disappeared.

Went to local Costco today.

All Mobil 1 is gone.

Checked EuroCarParts, they now want £62 for 5 litres of 0w40

When Costco was under £40

Won't be going Mobil 1 then🤣🤣

Back