Fram ultra extreme cold extended filter interval

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Stewie
Originally Posted By: Hessam
Originally Posted By: Stewie
As the search function is just garbage, has anyone pull off an extended filter interval on bad weather regions like East Canada or under -20C winter long?

I am at 12k km and I'm wondering if I should change the filter on my next oci or keep it for 1 more oci. FYI: according to manufacturer I should change it every oci

Running a tiny XG6607 on a Mazda 3 2014

what is the recommended OCI interval for your car per the OM?

8k Km

that is about 5,000 miles. Fram Ultra's are rated to 15,000 miles. if you are conncered about the Fram Ultra holding up in your application, you could very comfortably do two 8,000 km oci with the fram ultra, and that would only be about 16,000km or 10,000 miles, which is only about 2/3's of what the ultra's are rated for. I think that's a very safe approach. if you are going to replace your filter every 5K miles / 8k km i would definitely not use the fram ultra. just go with oem or any quality cellulose blend filter like hastings or wix.
Honda does recommend essentially 2 X 7500 miles with their OEM filter , which is basically a Fram TG. And Fram TG is not a full synthetic filter, it's a cellulose/glass blend.
fram ultra's could easily make it to 2 OCI, or 10,000 miles in your application with a nice margin safety.

Originally Posted By: Ded Mazai
I have used 3 Fram Extras in my life. I cut them all open and all of them had tears. 3 out of 3. Very high consistency in quality.

OCOD maybe, not the FUs

This is in Russia, right? Why not get German or Russian or OE filters if the American made isn't trustworthy? The German have advertised high efficiencies. How do you know the failed EG's were not counterfeit goods? I also have seen no failed Ultras on this site, maybe I missed it. There was a cartridge with a pulled away end cap. The leaf retainer is no different than others, maybe larger than some. If I found three torn filters from a brand I wouldn't use anything from that brand again.

There was a couple of FU with poked holes in them likely manufacturing defects posted on here. But very very rare. Almost always they look perfect.

When the temperature is consistently below 0*C (32*F) then some changes to the oil and filter should be considered.

Use 0Wxx or 5Wxx for light truck/ passenger car applications. Save the high viscosity oils for warmer weather.

Use an oil filter with a silicone ADBV, cellulose/synthetic blend media at the least and a separate relief valve. A media with average filtration efficiency is all that is needed. A free flowing filter is what you want for cold starts. The standard WIX filter fulfills those requirements for a 5000 mile / 8000 km OCI/FCI engine manufacturers warranty.

Things get more interesting when the temperatures drop below -29*C (-20*F). Crankcase heat and battery heat start looking good. Years ago we always heated our garages so this was less of an issue. Vehicles left outside sometimes would not start. Multi visc oils were just coming out.

Motorcraft OEM oil filters are made by Purolator and some models are junk.

Maybe that is why Ford/Mazda OCI/FCI is so low. They must know something and they are not talking.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: WellOiled
When the temperature is consistently below 0*C (32*F) then some changes to the oil and filter should be considered.

Use 0Wxx or 5Wxx for light truck/ passenger car applications. Save the high viscosity oils for warmer weather.

Use an oil filter with a silicone ADBV, cellulose/synthetic blend media at the least and a separate relief valve. A media with average filtration efficiency is all that is needed. A free flowing filter is what you want for cold starts. The standard WIX filter fulfills those requirements for a 5000 mile / 8000 km OCI/FCI engine manufacturers warranty.

Things get more interesting when the temperatures drop below -29*C (-20*F). Crankcase heat and battery heat start looking good. Years ago we always heated our garages so this was less of an issue. Vehicles left outside sometimes would not start. Multi visc oils were just coming out.

Motorcraft OEM oil filters are made by Purolator and some models are junk.

Maybe that is why Ford/Mazda OCI/FCI is so low. They must know something and they are not talking.

I am planning to run mobil1 oil filter for my next extended OCI.

As for OCI I much rather extend it than having to do OCI in winter.

Synthetic oils have the low temperature advantage over conventional oils. A better additive package for the extended interval. I have not heard anyone complain about M1 filters.

Originally Posted By: WellOiled
Synthetic oils have the low temperature advantage over conventional oils. A better additive package for the extended interval. I have not heard anyone complain about M1 filters.

I will be trying Castrol Syntec next oci.

hopefully it won't f my engine

Originally Posted By: Garak
Originally Posted By: akela
I guess because it works for them. They are still in business.

Really, I blame the Canadian consumer, who isn't any sharper than a sack of wet mice, but I rant about the retailers. For instance, for years, Superstore and RCWC used to carry M1 at a regular price that was significantly cheaper than Canadian Tire or Walmart. And Superstore had a decent filter selection, albeit Fram orange cans. Well, people wouldn't buy. Superstore got rid of the oil aisle. RCWC hung on for a while, and cut back and brought in other products, including some more off label stuff. They now sell QSUD at an "acceptable" regular price that far beats WM and CT, but not when they are on special. Superstore and RCWC held the price of M1 stable, with an aggregate increase of under $2 per jug, for around twenty years. I even told one guy, a couple years ago, in the Canadian Tire oil aisle, while he was grabbing jugs of "on sale" Mobil 1 that RCWC, just a few blocks away, has it on regular price for cheaper than this sale price. He set the jugs down and walked out the door.

People are too interested in reading Canadian Tire's weekly specials than they actually are interested in getting a good, regular price. As I've said before, I have no interest in competing with the old farts on Friday morning for the cheap jugs of oil at CT, when Imperial Oil will just have it waiting for me at the loading dock.

Canadian Tire suffered when Walmart first came to Canada. Then, they both got comfortable with these incremental price increases and occasional specials, rather than actually having sensible prices all the time. And, if consumers want to go along with it, go right ahead. I won't, and haven't for a few years already. I'd say they both need some competition, but that would be false, because the Canadian consumer is convinced that if they aren't overpaying, they're somehow not getting their money's worth.

I agree, Canadian consumer is exactly as you described (interesting why?). And isn't going to change in the near future.

RCWC in our area carries mostly so called "Spectrol" engine oil, which I wouldn't use even if it was for free (it's made in Russia). Also some PYB in 1-quart bottles, and that's it.

This Imperial Oil loading dock. How convenient would it be for average consumer to use it? For small quantities like 5L. You are probably ordering more than that, right?

I have seen at least 3 failed Fram Ultras on this web site. Personally I have never had any problems with them. I had a few problems with the Extras before. So it is hard to trust those guys from Fram 100%. I just like the efficiency of the Ultra, otherwise I would chose a more reliable manufacturer if I needed just a regular filter.

Maybe you should switch to Purolators - LoL.

Ded Mazai - what weight oil are you using in those extreme cold conditions there in Russia?

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
I have seen at least 3 failed Fram Ultras on this web site. Personally I have never had any problems with them. I had a few problems with the Extras before. So it is hard to trust those guys from Fram 100%. I just like the efficiency of the Ultra, otherwise I would chose a more reliable manufacturer if I needed just a regular filter.

Maybe you should switch to Purolators - LoL.

Ded Mazai - what weight oil are you using in those extreme cold conditions there in Russia?

Still 0W-20. Next OCI I am going with a 5W-20. Not cold enough to justify a 0W-20.

RCWC in our area carries mostly so called "Spectrol" engine oil, which I wouldn't use even if it was for free (it's made in Russia). Also some PYB in 1-quart bottles, and that's it.

This Imperial Oil loading dock. How convenient would it be for average consumer to use it? For small quantities like 5L. You are probably ordering more than that, right?

Yes, that was the name, Spectrol. I couldn't recall it, so didn't quote it. Ours has some QSGB at a high price, but decently priced QSUD in 5L and 1L containers. M1 is now only available in 1L containers. While it's certainly cheaper than WM's or CT's regular price (not a big hurdle), it's not that cheap, either.

Yes, I'm ordering more than 5L at a time. If I told them I wanted five litres of oil, they'd tell me to jump in the lake.
wink.gif
I don't think I've ever bought less than 16 litres at a time. One could conceivably, I think, buy a box of six individual litres of M1 from them, but that's about the smallest size I can think of that Imperial Oil would sell.

For you and other Canadian readers, here's an interesting tidbit. Peavey Mart juacked up their Hastings filters by at least a couple bucks an example. They're still relatively well priced, but not as nicely as before. Conversely, Acklands-Grainger dropped their regular price on a number of their Baldwin filters by 50%. Go figure.

Yes, I'm ordering more than 5L at a time. If I told them I wanted five litres of oil, they'd tell me to jump in the lake.
wink.gif
I don't think I've ever bought less than 16 litres at a time. One could conceivably, I think, buy a box of six individual litres of M1 from them, but that's about the smallest size I can think of that Imperial Oil would sell.

yeah, I guess here they'd tell me to jump in the ocean.
Alas, 5L twice a year is all I need... and I don't believe in stashing.

For you and other Canadian readers, here's an interesting tidbit. Peavey Mart juacked up their Hastings filters by at least a couple bucks an example. They're still relatively well priced, but not as nicely as before. Conversely, Acklands-Grainger dropped their regular price on a number of their Baldwin filters by 50%. Go figure.

I'll check it out for sure. Acklands-Grainger at least, it's 5 min drive from my office (and the closest Peavey Mart happens to be 330 km away).

wink.gif

yeah, I guess here they'd tell me to jump in the ocean.
Alas, 5L twice a year is all I need... and I don't believe in stashing.

I'll check it out for sure. Acklands-Grainger at least, it's 5 min drive from my office (and the closest Peavey Mart happens to be 330 km away).

Saved around $100 for stashing.

Bought 0w20 m1 for $30 which usually goes for $50 got like 5 juggs.

Originally Posted By: goodtimes
If I found three torn filters from a brand I wouldn't use anything from that brand again.

The first torn filter was the regular size. The second was oversized. It was so huge compared to the regular that I could not expect it to tear too. The third one was a premium filter Motomaster Formula 1 from Canada which turned to be just a plain Fram Extra. There was nothing "premium" in it.

The Acklands-Grainger pricing is a bit hit and miss. I can see buying G37 filters there now, but the F-150 ones are still a bit higher than I'd like. The pricing is getting comparable to the Wix for the G37, but the Wix is still way cheaper when it comes to the truck. But, at least it's another option. Not long ago, they wanted $20 for the stupid G37 filter. Now, it's a hair over $10.

Yes, that was the name, Spectrol. I couldn't recall it, so didn't quote it. Ours has some QSGB at a high price, but decently priced QSUD in 5L and 1L containers. M1 is now only available in 1L containers. While it's certainly cheaper than WM's or CT's regular price (not a big hurdle), it's not that cheap, either.

wink.gif

I've seen Spectrol as well. It seems iffy. RCWC has a lot of Spectrol products but I wouldn't bother using them.

How much are you paying for Hastings now? I recently bought some more.

LF115 @ $3.67
LF607 @ $5
PH3600 size @ $4

Last edited:

Still 0W-20. Next OCI I am going with a 5W-20. Not cold enough to justify a 0W-20.

LOL. Not cold enough in Russia to justify 0W-20, and some manufacturers here in the US want us to run 0W-20 in the middle of an Arizona summer. Classic.
grin.gif

Depending on where you are in the United States and Russia, it might actually be colder in the USA. Certainly most of Canada's prairie provinces are colder than most of European Russia, and about as cold as the populated parts of Siberia.

Anyway: Canadians aren't exactly spoiled for choices. For the XG7317 for my Accord, our choices are:

Canadian Tire: $14.99
Amazon.ca: $14.48
Wal-Mart: $14.48
Partsource*: XGs from $12.99, no idea what they want for XG7317
Thewrenchmonkey.ca: $12.97 plus $11.67 shipping (at least to Calgary)

*owned by Canadian Tire

So as much as I'd love to go out and pick a cheaper competitor, companies around here just aren't that interested in competing. And why would they? People from southern Ontario can just hop across the border, but from Calgary it's a five hour drive each way to the bustling metropolis of Great Falls, MT.

Amazon offers the M1-110 for a bit under ten bucks, but I'm not sure if it's as good as the Fram.

My Accord uses the MM so my oil changes are starting to extend out past 7,500 miles each. I'm not sure how comfortable I am using the stock filter for two full OCIs! Heck, I'm barely comfortable going that long for an OCI at all.

Admittedly, I do have an eight year/125,000 mile warranty, so it's probably Honda's problem rather than mine, but eh... some people like to maintain their vehicle better than the bare minimum. I expect almost everyone on this site sympathizes. And it would suck to have an engine go just outside that period.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back