Filter Choice - 2023 Forester Wilderness

Our new 2023 Forester Wilderness has just about 2k miles on it and I've begun to think about it's first oil change. I've already decided to do 5k OCIs (Subaru says 6k) like I did with the 2008 Mazda CX-9 (Mazda said 7.5k) it replaced. On that car I always used Fram Ultras so my first thought was to use the newer Synthetic Endurance on the Forester. Then I started reading about Bypass Settings and the FE7317 has a setting of 11-17psi which is lower than the factory spec and now I'm not sure if I should be concerned about that. 🤔

This car is short tripped during the week. Half mile to drop kids off at school and then a half mile to work after that. It does highways trips twice weekly for errands and sports.

What would you use if it was your vehicle?
Fram FE7317 - $12.97 WalMart
Ecoguard S4615 - $6.28 (on-sale) WalMart
Subaru 15208AA20A - $? Dealership

Thanks for your opinions! 🤙

Screenshot_20240204_122518_Walmart.jpg

Screenshot_20240204_122357_Walmart.jpg

Screenshot_20240204_122851_Amazon Shopping.jpg

20231210_111644.jpg

Last edited:
The Ecogard or OEM filters should serve you well for that duration. The Ecogards are excellent construction wise & I'd lean more that one out of your list. Also, You can request Purolator spec sheet for their Classic, One, or Boss filters to get you the data you're looking for regarding bypass etc. Reason I bring up Purolator is I've read on here that they are closer to OEM specs, on Subaru's, then some other brands but that may differ. Nice Wilderness!

Last edited:
of the three you posted, the eco guard seems to be the winner. I personally don’t think you could go wrong with any of the options you posted. the endurance is supposed to be a high flow filter meaning theoretically it can flow more than a cellulose filter (OEM) while filtering better with less pressure drop across the media not opening the bypass.

The 23 psi bypass spec for Subarus is because they have high flow oil pumps and small oil filters. That FRAM Endurance will bypass some unfiltered oil regularly.

The only really efficient filter I've found that has the proper bypass rating is the PurolatorOne PL14615:
99% Efficiency: 26 micron
50% Efficiency: 11 micron
Bypass: 24.9 psi

There are some other aftermarket filters that won't bypass, but none with impressive efficiency, so I'd use either the OEM Tokyo Roki or the PL14615.

the endurance is supposed to be a high flow filter meaning theoretically it can flow more than a cellulose filter (OEM) while filtering better with less pressure drop across the media not opening the bypass.
The FRAM Endurance FE3614 was among a dozen filters tested for dP on the Brand Ranks youtube channel. It seems to have pretty average restriction.

It hit 11 psi at 11 GPM. The oil pump for the Subaru FB25 is rated at 14.5 GPM, and it uses a smaller filter than the one in the test, so it would definitely bypass on this engine.

The 23 psi bypass spec for Subarus is because they have high flow oil pumps and small oil filters. That FRAM Endurance will bypass some unfiltered oil regularly.

The only really efficient filter I've found that has the proper bypass rating is the PurolatorOne PL14615:
99% Efficiency: 26 micron
50% Efficiency: 11 micron
Bypass: 24.9 psi

There are some other aftermarket filters that won't bypass, but none with impressive efficiency, so I'd use either the OEM Tokyo Roki or the PL14615.

Ok, I see what you're saying:

Screenshot_20240204_132726_Chrome.jpg

Ok, I see what you're saying:
Yes and the PurolatorOne has the same bypass rating. I didn't mention the BOSS since it's less efficient than the PurolatorOne. The data sheet for this model shows an efficiency of 99% at 46 micron, which probably isn't any better than OEM.

Yes and the PurolatorOne has the same bypass rating. I didn't mention the BOSS since it's less efficient than the PurolatorOne. The data sheet for this model shows an efficiency of 99% at 46 micron, which probably isn't any better than OEM.
Thanks, costs less and more efficient!

There are probably at least fifty threads on Subaru bypass settings, but I won’t step on @kschachn ’s territory by using the search feature for him.

Many of those threads, @ZeeOSix has posted actual data rather than assumptions, and even with the high output of the Subaru filters, there is very little risk of them ever bypassing at operating temps, even with the 11-17psi springs, and only when cold if you’re redlining it with cold oil, which would likely generate enough do to open even the 23psi stock bypass.

It’s much ado about nothing. I’ve had 5 Subarus and care for a 6th, and have put well over 700k combined, including 2 of them north of 175k. None of them were dispatched from my stable because of engine issues, and other than Napa 7055, all of them have been Fram 11-17psi or Wix bypass settings. UOAs have not shown any wear concerns, with averages at or below universal standards.

If it wasn’t for the early EJ25 HG weeping a bit, and two EJs that needed spark plug seals replaced, I could honestly say every Subaru engine I’ve owned has been perfectly flawless. If the oil filter bypass for Subarus had any impact whatsoever on wear or longevity, it would have shown up by now.

I just went through this issue with my 2021 Outback 2.5L. I just settled with a plain Wix 57055 @ 23 microns 99% with 27 psi bypass. Probably one of the nicer filters out there in terms of quality/ cost.

There are probably at least fifty threads on Subaru bypass settings, but I won’t step on @kschachn ’s territory by using the search feature for him.

Many of those threads, @ZeeOSix has posted actual data rather than assumptions, and even with the high output of the Subaru filters, there is very little risk of them ever bypassing at operating temps, even with the 11-17psi springs, and only when cold if you’re redlining it with cold oil, which would likely generate enough do to open even the 23psi stock bypass.

It’s much ado about nothing. I’ve had 5 Subarus and care for a 6th, and have put well over 700k combined, including 2 of them north of 175k. None of them were dispatched from my stable because of engine issues, and other than Napa 7055, all of them have been Fram 11-17psi or Wix bypass settings. UOAs have not shown any wear concerns, with averages at or below universal standards.

If it wasn’t for the early EJ25 HG weeping a bit, and two EJs that needed spark plug seals replaced, I could honestly say every Subaru engine I’ve owned has been perfectly flawless. If the oil filter bypass for Subarus had any impact whatsoever on wear or longevity, it would have shown up by now.
Great post, thank you! 👏🏽

I just went through this issue with my 2021 Outback 2.5L. I just settled with a plain Wix 57055 @ 23 microns 99% with 27 psi bypass. Probably one of the nicer filters out there in terms of quality/ cost.
The Wix website shows the efficiency for the 57055 to be 15u nominal, which is 50% @ 15u. Where did you find the 99% @ 23u?

The Wix website shows the efficiency for the 57055 to be 15u nominal, which is 50% @ 15u. Where did you find the 99% @ 23u?

First on Google but the last sentence explains it...nope..

WIX 57055 Engine Oil Filter. When applicable WIX flexible silicone anti-drainback valve protects against dry engine starts past the traditional filter change interval. Laboratory Test Performance per ISO 454812 18 grams dirt (WIX 51515) 99% efficient at 23 microns (Based on WIX 51515 WIX 51356 WIX 57060).

Back