Recommendations for new member! Kia GDI and Subaru

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finally registered after reading for a long time.

Here's my automobile profile:

2014 Kia Sorento EX V6 GDI
- ACEA A5/5W30, ACEA A3 min
- ATF SP-IV or equiv
- Diffs API GL-5 or Shell SPIRA X, 75W/90
- 10 mile round-trip stop-n-go commute through town to work, occasional highway driving
- bought used at 45k miles, just did first oil change 2 weeks ago using PP Syn 5w30, Wix cartridge filter (made by Mahle of Korea)

set OCI to 3750 miles of 3 months and will likely send sample to Blackstone for OA as a "new to me" base-line.

Given that the GDI engines are notorious for fuel dilution, am interested to find out whether or not the additional cost (~$5 or so) of synthetic is worth the expense given this probably OCI instead of using dino despite it likely not meeting the ACEA spec.

2005 Subaru Forester 2.5X
- SL or SJ/5W30
- ATF HP, J or DEX III
- Diffs GL-5, 75W/90
- mostly around town driving, occasional highway driving
- have used PP Syn since new, now has ~110k miles. OCI typically 5k-7.5k. No OA ever done.
- have used Subaru OEM and now using Fram Extragaurd filter

Neither vehicle has any major issues. Am interested in extending OCIs, reevaluating the filters I'm using for better quality and if PP Syn is still necessary.

welcome2.gif

Welcome
I had a 06 Fozzy and used M1 from new till I traded it at 110k. I used M1 in the diff and transmission. Keep using what got you to 110k, it seems to be working well. Have you had the dreaded head gasket issue yet?
Edit: Something changed between 05 and 06? My manual called for a SM oil.

Last edited:
I don't think I've had the head gasket issue yet with the Foz, but it does have some oil leaks. I have some leak test dye in the oil now and will be hitting the engine bay with a black light soon to see what's coming from where.

Originally Posted By: tojo1968
Check the rear passenger side head. That's where they usually start leaking oil.

Will do!

Originally Posted By: steelwindmachine
Originally Posted By: tojo1968
Check the rear passenger side head. That's where they usually start leaking oil.

Will do!

Did you find your leak?

I haven't had a chance to investigate it. Been too busy lately and the car isn't driven much at this point since I bought the Sorento.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back