14 Subaru Forester 2.5L

Status
Not open for further replies.

TTK

I had a 2014 Subaru Forester 2.5L CVT that I let my son-in-law have when he totaled his Honda Pilot. I drove it from new to about 45K and it never used any measurable oil in 7500 OCI, using M1 0w-20, or Castrol 0w-20 Synthetic. After having his local Subaru dealer change the oil, invoice says they used Mobil 0w-20, it seems to use some oil, especially on extended drives on the Interstate. Doesn't seem to use any with local driving. Recently I did an oil and filter change on the 14 Forester and used Valvoline full synthetic maxlife 0w-20 and he checked the oil weekly for several weeks and no usage. Then he took a trip on the Interstate for about 500 miles round trip, and when he returned the oil level was down about 1/4 quart below the full mark( based on his measurements). I had set it about 1/4 quart above the full mark when I changed it. The 14 Forester now has about 65K on it.
So, I recently found a UK 2017 FB-2.5L Forester owners manual, and it indicates that it comes from the factory with 0w-20 Synthetic oil, but 5w-30 or 5w-40 can be used, not just to top off, but as a regular replacement oil. No such statement in the US manual for this vehicle(CAFE?), but I am very tempted to switch to a 5w-30 next oil change, or maybe mobil 1 0w-40. Under high-speed driving does it seem reasonable to believe that either of these oils might help reduce oil consumption under these conditions?

Use the same oil for a true verdict, inspect the PCV. Maybe he beats on it like crazy and tells you otherwise? Free car, why not?

You can use whatever weight you want in TN. Perhaps try a HM oil? There are many variables.

I ran 5w30 at times in my 2014 XV Crosstrek 5spd that called for 0w20 in the OM. I didn't notice any change with performance, fuel economy or NVH. Mine would consume oil sporadically, 20wt or 30wt. I never tried a 40wt in it.

My 2012 Legacy EJ253 used no noticeable amount between OCIs (specd 5w30), nor did my Forester FB25 (0w20). I did run 5w20 quite a bit in my Forester when I couldn't find 0w20 on sale.

Originally Posted By: maxdustington
Use the same oil for a true verdict, inspect the PCV. Maybe he beats on it like crazy and tells you otherwise? Free car, why not?

You can use whatever weight you want in TN. Perhaps try a HM oil? There are many variables.

The Valvoline 0w-20 was a high mileage full synthetic. I did pick up a new PCV for the vehicle but have not installed it just because I have not had access to the vehicle since I changed the oil.

first off we all know the CAFE rules in the USA no matter the wear or whatever!! in the heat of tenn a 10w or even a 15W would be a good choice! i surely would not be concerned with minimal consumption though. some Subies suck oil, low tension oil rings + anything to get better CAFE is in the mix. be sure to attend to that CVT as they can be problematic at best as the miles add up. after dumping the OE oil in girlfriends 13 malibu 2.5 LS @ a thou + down a qt i put in spec dexos 5-20, 3 thou later + looking for its 3rd qt i dumped it + put in a fake synthetic 10-30 + her usage is minimal between yearly changes less than 10 thou + a fresh filter at 6 months.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: benjy
first off we all know the CAFE rules in the USA no matter the wear or whatever!! in the heat of tenn a 10w or even a 15W would be a good choice! i surely would not be concerned with minimal consumption though. some Subies suck oil, low tension oil rings + anything to get better CAFE is in the mix. be sure to attend to that CVT as they can be problematic at best as the miles add up.

Thanks for the suggestions. Actually, the car is now in central Virginia, but the weather is not much different temp wise. We will have to watch it further to determine the actual extent of the consumption, and the effects of different oils on it. But, I think you are correct, even a 10w-30 would be okay, and probably with lower NOACK.

I would think the new driver is the reason not the oil. My wife's 2016 Outback burned oil once, we were driving at 85-90mph for 3 hours straight. At 75 and under it burns nothing in 6k miles.

I am using Amsoils SS 0-20 in my 2013 subi. It has a NOACK of 8.5. Amsoils 5-20 has a NOACK of 5.8. Big difference in NOACK.

Originally Posted By: RedOakRanch
I would think the new driver is the reason not the oil. My wife's 2016 Outback burned oil once, we were driving at 85-90mph for 3 hours straight. At 75 and under it burns nothing in 6k miles.

This. I can think of a number of examples where a vehicle that had a different driver developed issues. My theory all along was that the newer driver drive the car harder and thus exacerbated any issues that were lurking.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
Originally Posted By: RedOakRanch

This. I can think of a number of examples where a vehicle that had a different driver developed issues. My theory all along was that the newer driver drive the car harder and thus exacerbated any issues that were lurking.

I would say, yes, he probably drives the vehicle more spirited than I did.

It feels like deja vu all over again.
grin2.gif

In addition to what I said on the Forester forum, just to add that even though 0W-20 is the recommended choice in N. America the 2014 owner's manual does require thick grades in high temps.

From page 11-11:

Quote:
NOTE
Engine oil viscosity (thickness) affects fuel economy. Oils of lower viscosity provide better fuel economy. However, in hot weather, oil of higher viscosity is required to properly lubricate the engine.

https://stis.subaru.com/proxy/160663/pdf/ownerManual/160663_2014_Forester/MSA5M1403DSTIS_12.pdf

Unless you have an extended warranty, I'd be tempted to try a High Mileage 10W30. Maybe an HM 5W-20 but even an HM 10W-30 would probably work well for consumption. Basically, feel free to experiment IMO!

edit: Looks like 5W-30 can be used in anything in Japan. They do allow 5W-40 in the BRZ (which specs 20 grade here) but I only see the 5W-30 listed for all cars.
https://www.subaru.jp/accessory/engine_oil/lineup/standard03.html

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back