Holiday Roadtrip To-Do's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: John_Conrad
u mentioned satellite radio, i keep my cd full of what I call road pounding music, so that i can keep driving steady and it helps make the time go well.

an insulated coffee mug and or thermos is an essential for me as well as water and or a pop or two in case i need the caffeine. other wise i'm not to much for pop.

there are some things you can't avoid, but i try to pass the largest cities after or before rush hour. for example Dallas/Fort Worth Area is a huge metropolis with major traffic during rush hour. I have been stuck there many times. So i always try to drive through this area at night.

best of luck, if i think of anything else, i will post back.

I've also got Slacker Radio, which allows downloading of stations, so I can play what I like, while minimizing data usage. Unlike Sat radio, we can skip as many songs as we like, or bad comedy sketches, etc.

I'll have a Thermos full of hot cocoa and my own travel mug full of coffee. With just the wife and me, we made it all the way down to FL (drove straight through the night) without finishing either. With four of us in our car, it should be better. We'll also have a cooler full of cherry soda, root beer, orange soda, and of course water.

I prefer to drive through the night, like you, and like I've done the past three long road trips, but I was overruled by the majority. I asked if we could at least leave at 0500 and that was turned down, too. I compromised and said that they could sleep until 0700, so long as they can do so through reveille.
13.gif

Originally Posted By: datech
I really doubt you will average 65 mph, even though that might be your road speed. Figure 50 if you're lucky. less with heavy holiday traffic, possible inclement weather.

For estimation, does it make sense to include a low average speed AND add in time for traffic delays? I chose to keep my average the speed limit, but add 2 hours for traffic for the first day of driving (just to NC.)

Originally Posted By: oilpsi2high
I'll be taking my 8 year old car with 105k on a 800 mile trip soon. I think I'm less worried about it than the OP is.

I actually love driving, and am a big fan of road trips. The point of the thread was for every one to share their thoughts and past road trip lessons-learned and stories.

Originally Posted By: John_Conrad
Slow but steady!!! That's my motto.

Do what you can when you can. You really are at the mercy of the flow of traffic during the holidays. Add rush hour traffic and you have a mess.

We didn't experience much traffic last time we drove down to FL, but I was once stuck in an ice storm headed through IL, which meant that the 3 hours remaining to our destination turned into 7. I guess watching all of the cars on their sides and upside down on the side of the road helped the time go by. People never seemed to learn from others on that trip...

What I'm doing that I haven't done is planning out the stops, so no one is surprised when the worst happens and it does take us 15+ hours to get through our first day, to NC. If we went by the GPS or google maps, we might be upset when that time slips significantly. Slow and steady, aye.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
The chase car and tools get you a lot. Safe travels! I bet you'll donate the GC to the RAV.
wink.gif

Believe both Rav4 and subaru takes 5x100 rims, so your spare being inflated, could, worst case scenario, fit the other car.

What did you mean by your first sentence? It does make me think of a good question, though. Who should lead, assuming we're on a long straight-away, with minimal traffic (can't really stay together for sure if there's traffic,) but early in the morning and late at night, when we might be a little more tired...) It probably doesn't matter much, but they have the accident avoidance tech I have (Eyesight.)

Another good point. So long as my brother-in-law doesn't mind, I'll check his car over before we leave, too, including checking his oil. If he's low when he gets to my place (they live 2 hours north of here) I'll top him off with VWB or, if he doesn't mind, the 10 oz. or so of RT6 I have left.

I don't know if the Rav4 has 5X100, but my Subie does. Worst case, even if the overall diameter is off, I'm sure it would do in a pinch.

Just having a friendly car in convoy helps if you have to split off for whatever.

True, indeed. This will be my very first road trip in convoy. None of us will mind having to stop often, if necessary, and being able to keep an eye on each other will be great!

Other than traffic, keeping 65-ish for road speed shouldn't be too hard. I usually average right around 60 on my trips between CT and Rochester, and that's averaging in bathroom and fuel stops (usually 2 and 1).

Originally Posted By: andyd
Be careful.Swap drivers often. Make it fun, not an ordeal. Enjoy.

I hate having to use my brakes unnecessarily, and I'm always courteous when it comes to traffic etiquette, but I have a hard spot for people who drive dangerously. Even so, I plan to let every turd burglar's offense slide and keep my distance, even if it means flashing my brake lights often in traffic, just like every other person (except truck drivers - they get engine-braking and keeping your distance, but for more obvious, self-preserving reasons.)

The hardest part for me will be to give up the driver's seat. My wife is a very cautious driver, but the two others riding with me, I don't know. One of them I've driven with on many occasions and he's a city driver to the core - riding butts not because he wants them to go faster, but because his brain is conditioned to do so, to prevent lane cutters (even on single-lane roads...) I'm afraid I'll have to tell him to back off or revoke is driving privileges. Really, it's that bad!

Originally Posted By: rslifkin
Other than traffic, keeping 65-ish for road speed shouldn't be too hard. I usually average right around 60 on my trips between CT and Rochester, and that's averaging in bathroom and fuel stops (usually 2 and 1).

That's what I was thinking. I-95 alternates between 55 and 65 MPH between here and the New Jersey Turnpike, but police hidey holes are apparent, so traffic usually stays at 65+ when it's lightly congested. NJT is iffier, but doing 70 MPH or just over is safe.

Does any one know where the speed limit starts increasing? I can't remember if it upped to 70MPH in the Carolinas or down further, in GA. The last time we drove down it was in a Civic (not comfortable at all, btw!) and 75 MPH was as fast as I felt safe going (if my memory is correct and the speed limit rose to 70MPH - it may have been 75 MPH, but I don't think so.)

Either way, I expect the first half of the trip to take a lot longer than the second half. I have a feeling that we'll all be a little more tired and will just want to get to FL instead of dilly-dallying with prolonged stops. We'll see...

//

Oh, I planned on detailing the Subie, inside and out, but only finished the outside. I've never waited to wax this late in the season, and now I realize why. The wax was a PAIN in 40F weather. At least I was at a comfortable temperature personally with all of the exercise! The Subie has a heckuva lot more surface area than our Civic coupe, too!

I'll detail the inside start populating with gear this afternoon, if I can get out of work at a reasonable hour.

Stories?

When I was younger, we took a road trip from Central NY to Alabama.

We got stuck in a MASSIVE traffic jam in Cincinnati, Oh (I believe). There were three interstates merging together and the DOT shut down 3 lanes of traffic to street sweep. My grandmother started telling us how she used to get out and talk to people in traffic jams in the old days. We had to keep a close eye on her ... she kept trying to get out and talk to people in the massive traffic jam. Was pretty funny.

We rented a minivan for that trip. Our vehicles were a Jeep Wrangler and a ford truck. Not family road trip friendly. Driving the 4 cylinder minivan on the blue ridge parkway with 4 people and luggage was a slow trip. The good news is, we couldn't exceed the speed limit if we tried!

What BBQ place in southern VA? There are a few in Richmond that are good, but otherwise you need to wait till NC. Hope the trip was uneventful on the way down and that you avoided DC traffic.

The place we planned on stopping at was Wilson's BBQ and Grill, in Emporia, VA.

Everyone was tired and hungry for lunch, so we ended up having a sit down meal at some local place in MD instead.

I guess I'm glad I was conservative in my estimation, since we made it to our first stop in NC with only half an hour to spare.

Right now, we're stuck in bad traffic, just north of Savannah, GA. I knew daytime drive would suck, but I didn't realize it would be this bad. Mostly accidents, of course, because people lose their minds when things slow down a little, leading to a vicious cycle of even more traffic and higher risk for accidents.

Knock on wood, but so far things have gone smoothly outside of the traffic. Thanks to the lovely portion of 95 in SC, around mile marker 130, however, I've got a nice chip in my windshield that I just made an appointment to have fixed in FL. It's only a couple of mm long; hopefully it's stays repairable u til then...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back