Fram oil filters for Ecodiesel

Ok guys here we go.
I own 3 vehicles that has 3 litre Italian VM Motori engine. And I have tried many different filters on the past. Now, I reguired 3 different Frams to my stash.
I have already tested Extended and Tough Guard versions on my Jeep. Always ran between 15000 to 16000 km with PC Duron UHP 5W-40 or 0W-40 oil. Just changed oil and put Ultra filter on. Propably only Will go again about same oil change interval.

I dont know is there really a difference between normal and Tough version. They Look, feel and smell exactly The same. 😆
Both worked very well on Ecodiesel. Tough Guard says good for 15000 Miles cause it has "synthetic blend media".

But Ultra seems to be different. It weigths more, has red casket and has totally different filter media. And it should Be good for 20000 Miles. But it definitely has more filtering area.

Should I go more than 15000 to 16000 km on this run? What do you guys think?
I know that Petro Canada UHP oils will last a lot more. It is group III and Group IV pao blend. Heavy duty trucks can run them between 100000 and 150000 km. Ok, they have totally different filtering systems But anyway.

IMG_20231021_162731_640~2.jpg
IMG_20231021_162947_558~2.jpg
IMG_20231021_163044_017~2.jpg
IMG_20231021_163322_516~2.jpg

Those miles on the boxes are in Miles not Kilometers. I would say the Tough Guard should work well for your 10,000 mile run (15k km) with a buffer to spare.
Yeah I know. I have always changed oil and filter on about 10 000 Miles. But Ultra specially could last double, But I'm not so keen to try it... 🤠

Yeah I know. I have always changed oil and filter on about 10 000 Miles. But Ultra specially could last double, But I'm not so keen to try it... 🤠
If you wanted to go over 20k km then I'd recommend a wire backed filter like the Fram Endurance. It should work well. But I agree that I'd probably end up wanting to replace it sooner but there are plenty of folks that save money by doubling up & reusing the filter.

If you wanted to go over 20k km then I'd recommend a wire backed filter like the Fram Endurance. It should work well. But I agree that I'd probably end up wanting to replace it sooner but there are plenty of folks that save money by doubling up & reusing the filter.
But there is no wired backed filter for Ecodiesel available.

Frequent oil changes and a good air filter and sealed intake plumbing is what makes an engine last as long as possible.
An efficient oil filter also helps keep the oil cleaner. As said many times, the longer the OCI the more efficient the oil filter should be to help keep the oil cleaner. Nothing keeps the oil cleaner once debris gets in the oil than an efficient oil filter or frequent OCIs ... those are the only two options at that point.

Last edited:
Funny because I was just at Walmart yesterday getting oil and filter for the wife's Gladiator. I opened all 3 fram filters and, like you, I saw NO difference between the Extra Guard and the Tough Gard....and I smelled them too!! LOL!! They also both had the cheaper black nitrile o ring. I didn't need the Ultra based on this truck never going more than 7k miles on a change. I just grabbed the extra guard and my oil and left. I usually use Wix filters but didn't have one on hand so thats the only reason for the Fram filter as I prefer not to use them if at all possible.

Back