FRAM Oil Filters - Whats the deal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've used the Extra Guard. They are certainly unique in construction. Not many pleats but very thick and fury media with a wire mesh backing.

I notice that cheapest filter I can get in Canada is the Canadian Tire brand filter, which is just made by Fram according to one of the thread I read in this forum. Canadian Tire is selling this for $4.39 (the size for my Intrepid) or somewhere around there. A regular Fram filter which is the Extra Guard line is just 30-50 cents more expensive than the Canadian Tire one. Other brands like Quaker State and Maxlife are also available for a buck or two more expensive. I've seen Mobile 1 either in Walmart of CT about a year ago but not recently.

I, myself, not really crazy about oil and filter. And I tend to buy what they put up on sale, usually its like a jug of oil and a filter combo deal, and I don't see anything wrong with it. Even if I'm moving from regular oil to synthetic I think I'll still use the more economical filter.

Walmarts in Canada don't carry the Supertech, they only carry Fram products. Fram pushed out all the other competitors. Walmart used to have AC Delco filters, and for a while they had a seperate auto parts counter inside many of the stores which would also carry Purolator filters. In fact I don't even think those seperate auto parts counters exist anymore.

Groucho is correct. There are two Wal-Marts near me, one carries SuperTech and the other doesn't. A few months ago I bought a used Neon for a work beater (and it WAS beat too), with the ARX and some frequent oil changes I've been running Havoline with ST filters. First time I've bought ST, they seem well-constructed.

Quote:

Ive also read, that frams can cause valvetrain rattle.

Funny you mention that, Ziggy. Hyundai has TSBs regarding their desire to see folks use OEM filters ONLY. I asked the service guy about it a couple of weeks ago when mine was there and local to me, the dealers were only concerned about Frams and Frams from Jiffy Lube. My PureOne was ok with them. He said NAPAs, WIX and Purolators were of no consequence. I guess if they mention all the brands that are ok in the TSB (above), and the one brand that isn't, Fram, Fram wouldn't be happy about it.

He said since Hyundai went to rev-limited engines, they've had no internal engine failures of any kind, and none related to oil in any case. They do a lot of replacements due to timing belt breaks, so he says.

THAT, I believe!
cheers.gif

Quote:

A couple of you guys have said that there are better filters than FRAM , at a cheaper price . I just paid $3.69 for a FRAM PH3614 at Auto Zone .
Tell me where I can get better for less .

Any Wal-Mart. The Supertech line of filters is 2.07 each. ST3614 is your number, ST3600 is the long version if you have room for it, ST 16 is the larger diameter version, and ST8 would be the long and large selection.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back