FRAM Oil Filters - Whats the deal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by BennyL:
Vilan: i've never noticed QuakerState or Maxlife filters are Canadian Tire. i'll check it out tonight. but if they are more than the FRAM Tough Guard, i probably will not bother.

QS are $6.99 and Maxlife are $9.99, all sizes. They have sales every so often though... I've seen both go for $5 if you show up on the right week.

quote:

Originally posted by CivicFan:
The only thing I like about Fram is the textured grip. I wish Supertech had these, too, but probably Fram has a patent.

Just buy a spray can of undercoater. Spray your new filter then roll it in the dirt!! Presto! Super gripper oil filter! LOL

On a side note, I ran Frams on my truck for over 20+ years. Never had a problem. Now I run genuine AC Delco on my 3 chevies, and a Frantz bypass on each too. Not that i'll run them to 300,000 but its nice on paper.

Mark

quote:

ok, cuz i dont know of any places in toronto that carry Amsoil, M1, or Baldwin/Hastings. only one i can find is WIX, which is the NAPA brand.

For Baldwin in your area ..enter your postal code Here There are a couple in Toronto.

You can get an Amoil filter from our Canadian site sponsor.

LOL! i just did the search on the Baldwin site. funny thing is, one of the distributors that popped up is DIRECTLY across the street from my work. and i mean, like, if you walk out of my work, and walk straight across the street, you're there.

funny...

so how do Baldwin filters compare to FRAM or NAPA? do they have 1 line, or a cheap line and a premium line, or what?

Some WIX filters are made here in the US, in NC if I remember correctly. Others are made in the UK. WIX makes very good filters, and like other said, Napa filters are pretty much WIX. Get a regular Napa filter, those are way better than Fram.

lol.gif
Guess you won't be going too far out of your way to buy them.
lol.gif

I've never used them ..but the only complaints that I've heard about them was when there was a bout of short center tubes. I don't think that this translated to any performance issues. They have a pretty diverse product line that is mostly on par with Wix.

I just went to the hastings mirror site for distributor lookup (just put hastings where baldwin is in the URL). My buddy's PZ/SOPUS rep handles Hastings ..but sells my buddy rebadged Frams under the PZ label. I've got to ask him what he gets for these filters. I think that my pal really buys them because of the yellow paint scheme that matches his racing color of choice
dunno.gif

Give the hastings finder a try. Maybe they have a distributor next door. You might not have to cross the street.
grin.gif

quote:

labman: i know dude, its so stupid. it blows my mind how cheap oils and filters are just across the border. its robbery over here! we have less of both to choose from, and pay ALOT more!

Yes, but you have cheaper prescription medications.
canada.gif

They're allegedly made in the same building. Hastings was Amsoil's offering ..and probably made their filters at one time anyway (I haven't kept up on the relationship). Hastings was considered an upscale filter in autoparts stores. I believe that the target market, although surely overlapping somewhat with Baldwin, was primarily automotive, while Baldwin was more into industrial/agricultural/etc.

Filter Guy is the guru of corporate relationships of the big boys.

Thiers also the Amsoil EO filters. They look VERY promising too! filter very well at lower micron ratings, as do Purolator pure1, and Mobile 1, but be prepaired to pay $10 or more! Except for the Pureones, you can find them for about $5 - $7.00.
If yuo have an advanced auto near you, look at their house brand filters. They are made by purolator, i bleive thier in around 10 - 20 micron ratins, are full flow, and are mad cheap!

ok, well, you guys have WAY more selection when it comes to oil filters. basically, i'm not prepared to pay more than 7 bucks for an oil filter for this van, and thats even a bit high. any of the premium brands will cost well over 10 bucks here. for example, K&N's are $18 at the store that sells them near me.

my Dad has a corporate account set up with NAPA, i will likely order a case of their NAPA gold filters and call it a day.

i'll probably be getting them cheaper than the FRAM Tough Guard that i'm using now, and they are better, right? made by WIX?

Ive also read, that frams can cause valvetrain rattle. Fram extra guars, is known to use cradboard endcaps, instaed of metal inside the filter. The one with PTFE, is teflon. Don't but it!!! Teflon is NOT, i repeat, NOT good inside your engine. The double guard is a waste of money too. However, the extend guard looks promising. Supposed ot be in the family as the x2 series filters. Purolator makes MUch better quality, as do Mobile 1, K&N, WIx, STP. Take your pic; )
I know thiers a oil fitler study that was done here, not sure where it is. Gives ENORMOUS wealth of data! Thiers also another link somewhere on aol, Kniev i think was the guys name, who did his own survey, especially on MOPAR oil filters.

A couple of you guys have said that there are better filters than FRAM , at a cheaper price . I just paid $3.69 for a FRAM PH3614 at Auto Zone .
Tell me where I can get better for less .

Hey Benny,

Fellow Canadian here. If you buy a case of NAPA Golds and leave it at that, you are all set. You need look no further. I've been using NAPA Golds for a year now. I cut ém open for fun after each oil change. Compared to a Fram that's cut open - it's night and day.

The Quaker State filters at Canadian Tire are decent filters too, but they don't have the silicone anti-drain back valve. For the same price, the NAPA Golds do have the silicone ADBV and according to testing, a bit better filtering.

The Fram Extended Guard (ie XG2, XG16, etc) is a pretty good filter according to some testing that was done. And it's actually built well. But at $12 a pop from Canadian Tire, I wouldn't bother with it. If you ever see them on sale for $6 or $7 each, don't hesitate to buy an armload of them.

Phil
quote:

ok, well, you guys have WAY more selection when it comes to oil filters. basically, i'm not prepared to pay more than 7 bucks for an oil filter for this van, and thats even a bit high. any of the premium brands will cost well over 10 bucks here. for example, K&N's are $18 at the store that sells them near me.

my Dad has a corporate account set up with NAPA, i will likely order a case of their NAPA gold filters and call it a day.

i'll probably be getting them cheaper than the FRAM Tough Guard that i'm using now, and they are better, right? made by WIX?

quote:

Originally posted by my556762:
A couple of you guys have said that there are better filters than FRAM , at a cheaper price . I just paid $3.69 for a FRAM PH3614 at Auto Zone .

I think you get STP filters for free if you buy 5 quarts of Castrol oil at autozone.

Fork over thousands of dollars, in some cases tens-of-thousands of dollars... even multiples thereof....

and yah' wants to save a couple bux on an oil filter????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Me thinx critical thinking and cost-comparison analysis (even if done but for a flicker or a moment in the head) and a whole bunch if udder stuff has been left upon the wayside, tossed into the culvert full of dirty polluted water, scattered across the terrain alongside discarded beer cans and scarf-n-barf burger joint detritus.

And a bunch more stuff like that.

Statements were made in this thread that there are better filters for equal or less money than the FRAM . It ain't just about saving a buck or two .

quote:

Originally posted by SSQ:

quote:

Originally posted by my556762:

I think you get STP filters for free if you buy 5 quarts of Castrol oil at autozone.

Right now , the local Auto Zone is offering 5 qts of Pennzoil conventional with a FRAM filter for $12.99

Better filters than Fram for less $$:

Purolator Premium Plus: last time I checked, regular price $2.99 each at Advance Auto. Might be a little more now. Occasionally on sale for under $2.50. I understand Pep Boys has rebates on them sometimes where they wind up almost free.

Havoline brand oil filters: available at Fred's Discount stores for $2.09 regular price now, occasionally on sale for a little less. Mfg by Purolator, these appear to be a full-fledged Purolator Premium Plus, both inside & out. Great bang for the buck. If you're in Louisiana there should be a Fred's near you.

Advance Auto Parts Totalgrip: still under $3 regular price, wait till January when they run 'em at half price. Last Jan. I bought about a dozen of 'em for $1.34 each.
grin.gif
Mfg by Purolator, media looks different than Premium Plus, rest looks identical inside.

Supertech: available at WalMart, last I saw were $2.07 each. Mfg by Champion.
cheers.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back