Filter Choice - 2023 Forester Wilderness

Our new 2023 Forester Wilderness has just about 2k miles on it and I've begun to think about it's first oil change. I've already decided to do 5k OCIs (Subaru says 6k) like I did with the 2008 Mazda CX-9 (Mazda said 7.5k) it replaced. On that car I always used Fram Ultras so my first thought was to use the newer Synthetic Endurance on the Forester. Then I started reading about Bypass Settings and the FE7317 has a setting of 11-17psi which is lower than the factory spec and now I'm not sure if I should be concerned about that. 🤔

This car is short tripped during the week. Half mile to drop kids off at school and then a half mile to work after that. It does highways trips twice weekly for errands and sports.

What would you use if it was your vehicle?
Fram FE7317 - $12.97 WalMart
Ecoguard S4615 - $6.28 (on-sale) WalMart
Subaru 15208AA20A - $? Dealership

Thanks for your opinions! 🤙

View attachment 201904

View attachment 201905

View attachment 201906

View attachment 201909
Good Morning SavagePatch,
First of all, congratulations on your new Forester Wilderness! It looks great and those tires have you ready for going off road, enjoy!
The 5k OCI is perfect; its a simple interval to track and well within the 6k Subaru recommends. I'd recommend the Fram Tough Guard, excellent performance specs, 15k life and readily available in retail so you can inspect the filter before you buy. If you go with the Ultra or Endurance, use them for two oil changes. I own a 2021 Forester and use the the Tough Guard. Wishing you many miles of driving enjoyment!

Back