Failure of using fumoto valve

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Why would you even bother trying to replace something as foolproof and easy to use as a drain plug with some sort of valve?

A few reasons:

If you need a new crush washer each time, with Fumoto you can save the cost.
No more worries about cross threading the oil plug, as the valve stays in and never comes out.
No more oil leaks from the drain plug.
No more rubber gloves needed, just flip the valve open.
No more hunting for the right size wrench to fit the oil plug,
Selling your car? Fumoto comes out and drain plug goes back in.

Last edited:
I'm going on 9 year's on the Tacoma with original gasket that came with the valve. 5 years on the CRV with the same setup. No leaks to date.

Originally Posted By: ARB1977
I'm going on 9 year's on the Tacoma with original gasket that came with the valve. 5 years on the CRV with the same setup. No leaks to date.

banana2.gif
You live a charmed life..

Bought a fumoto valve for all vehicles in signature with the blue washer and safety clip. NEVER from day one have I had a drip/leak from any of the valves & they are the most convenient way to change your oil and never again have to worry about purchasing extra crush washers. TOTAL piece of mind and I wish I would have started using them 25 years ago.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why would you even bother trying to replace something as foolproof and easy to use as a drain plug with some sort of valve?

Because I'm messy as heck and anything that reduces the odds of me spreading used oil all over the place is a great idea. And besides, a ball valve is hardly a Rube Goldberg device.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: thorromig
never again have to worry about purchasing extra crush washers.

Not arguing for or against the Fumoto, but one thing I have *never* done is worry about the extra cost of a crush washer. I'm relatively thrifty, but come on guys.

I wonder how these valves are treated by the quick lube shops?

Personally, in my applications, I don't see any benefit of having this valve. My original drain plug and washer are almost 10 years old. I would still have to crawl underneath the vehicle and I would still have to wear gloves to replace the oil filter.
Plus, I'm not sure how these valves would hold up with all the salt on the roads we have here in winter. If the ball started to corrode, kiss the valve goodbye.

This thread should have been titled:

"How I Internet modified a Fumoto valve to fail."

I've never used a Fumoto valve, I would worry that something would strike the valve and cause it to open. If my vehicle had skid plates and a top mounted filter, I would consider using a Fumoto valve.

What I would never do is do what the OP did and try to "bubba" the valve.

It's so quick and easy to R&R an oil drain plug that I can't fathom why anyone would bother with one of these Rube Goldberg devices.
You've got ramps, a wrench and an oil drain pan.
You need nothing else to do oil changes and I've lost count of the number I've done over the past four decades.
Most of those were done without ramps or lifting the vehicles as well, although a set of ramps sure is nice.

Let me guess, you are one of those people when something is not right for you, then it must be stupid for everybody else?

Glad you got a couple of extra ticket punches on your man card doing your oil changes old school style. I guess those who like the convenience of a valve for clean up and/or have plug drains where the fluid arch hits another part like a cross member and fans oil everywhere are rubes buying a parlor trick of a device?

Originally Posted By: KrisZ

Probably quite poorly.
wink.gif
I put them on to make things easier for me to deal with, not to flummox a quick lube guy.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Garak

Probably quite poorly.
wink.gif
I put them on to make things easier for me to deal with, not to flummox a quick lube guy.
wink.gif

Word of the day: flummox!

I use one on my 2011 Kia Optima because the oil would flow out of the drain onto the bottom plastic engine cover. The oil would then slowly leak off the cover onto my driveway over a couple of weeks. Poor design by Kia that is corrected by using the valve. I have had mine for four years with no issues.

Personally, in my applications, I don't see any benefit of having this valve. My original drain plug and washer are almost 10 years old. I would still have to crawl underneath the vehicle and I would still have to wear gloves to replace the oil filter.
Plus, I'm not sure how these valves would hold up with all the salt on the roads we have here in winter. If the ball started to corrode, kiss the valve goodbye.

I can't speak to auto/pickup quick lube shops, but the Mack dealership's lube shop I use for my semi truck services rather likes having the Fumoto on my pan. I bought the Fumoto and had them put it in on at the first oil change the truck ever got after buying it new. Mostly, in the event that I needed to do the oil change myself when I couldn't get to this shop to have it done. Dumping 10 gallons of oil by myself necessitates having to control the oil drain to change out oil drain pans and such. I don't have a nice big pit at my house to get in under the truck.

As for how they hold up. Well my last truck did 968,000 miles with a Fumoto on most of the time, again, it got put on the truck and the first oil change. All I run is the upper tier of the U.S., so it gets exposed to all the rust belt salt issues. The Fumoto, short of just being dirty, held up just fine. Opened and closed as well after 950,000 miles as it did new.

It's so quick and easy to R&R an oil drain plug that I can't fathom why anyone would bother with one of these Rube Goldberg devices.
You've got ramps, a wrench and an oil drain pan.
You need nothing else to do oil changes and I've lost count of the number I've done over the past four decades.
Most of those were done without ramps or lifting the vehicles as well, although a set of ramps sure is nice.

Guess you didn't read my post just before yours (and the one on this page) as to why some of us think it is a good idea for our needs. Suffering from myopia?

Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker
As for how they hold up. Well my last truck did 968,000 miles with a Fumoto on most of the time, again, it got put on the truck and the first oil change. All I run is the upper tier of the U.S., so it gets exposed to all the rust belt salt issues. The Fumoto, short of just being dirty, held up just fine. Opened and closed as well after 950,000 miles as it did new.

Thanks for the feedback. Looks like it is truly a quality product.

It's a great product made very well. I've used them on 2 cars for over 300-400k miles. Never an issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back