Failure of using fumoto valve

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Nick1994
No wonder it didn't work, you cut the threads off! Why not take your tires off and use an angle grinder with a cutting wheel to take off half the studs so that they don't stick past the lug nuts? Sounds pretty dumb eh?

You misunderstood it. I did not cut the threads off (shorten the whole thing), I just cut four notches in.

Originally Posted By: MrNobody
You misunderstood it. I did not cut the threads off (shorten the whole thing), I just cut four notches in.

What do you mean? I'm not the only one who isn't following what you did.

Originally Posted By: Donald
When I crawl under my vehicles I am now at dog height. Any sandwich in my hand would not get eaten by me. Maybe one bite.

Funny.

I can put a full plate of bacon on the floor and walk away without worry (and then I come running in from the other room and divebomb the bacon). My pup stands guard when I do a oil change too she was trained to not eat human food without permission. I feel bad when I forget to give her the "ok" signal. It can be hours later she is just staring down the bowl. What I do have to be careful is that she likes to collect some of my son's toys and hide them.

Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder

Apparently a Fumoto sticks up in the pan a little bit and pools some oil that can't get out. He cut slots in the threads perpendicular to the threads to allow this oil to drain out.

Rather than cut slots in the next one, just flip the switch and drain the oil, then remove the valve so ALL of the oil drains out, then replace valve. Wait....

The failure was the multiple washers, either buy an extender or scrap the whole idea.
These things are okay for oil pans that have weak pan or repaired threads where you wouldn't want to remove the drain bolt too often, otherwise they are solution looking for a problem.

It sounds like you didn't foul the threads too bad. IMO the next time use a new OE washer and use the drain bolt.

Originally Posted By: AZjeff

Rather than cut slots in the next one, just flip the switch and drain the oil, then remove the valve so ALL of the oil drains out, then replace valve. Wait....

crackmeup2.gif

exactly the reason why I use a fluid extractor.

Originally Posted By: AZjeff
Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder

Apparently a Fumoto sticks up in the pan a little bit and pools some oil that can't get out. He cut slots in the threads perpendicular to the threads to allow this oil to drain out.

Yep, that's exactly what I did, not my original idea though. Someone online posted this and kinda made more sense compared to cut off the entire threads abit.

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
How much oil would be left in the pan with zero modifications? Less than a pint?

I could fathom there being applications where it's a pint. However, I've checked in my G37 and Audi. When the drips stopped, I took the valve out, just to see how much more came out. It reverted to drip, drip, drip. It's not like another half cup or anything even came out.

Here is the inside of my oil pan with Fumoto installed. You can see some oil will stay no matter what, but who cares. There is a recess in the pan for the oil pick up. If a little oil left in the pan is okay for the engineers, then why not for BITOG members?

fumoto006-1.jpg

Originally Posted By: Lolvoguy
crackmeup2.gif

A fluid extractor will leave more oil behind than any Fumoto valve.

I have used Fumoto valves for years. Semi trucks, ag tractors, jeeps, pickups, just about everything with an oil sump except my portable generator and lawn mower. I have never had a problem with them. They are very convenient, especially with the semi trucks as I can slow the stream after a gallon or two has drained from the sump and take a sample bottle and then open it back up for full drain. And for the stupid side drain on my Chevy pickup, I can attach a elbow to the valve and get downward oil drain into the pan as opposed to shooting out almost to the passenger side steer tire. The moron at GM who did that one needs to be taken out and flogged.

Originally Posted By: Bluestream
crackmeup2.gif

Not exactly, a fluid extractor will siphon more oil than drain plug in an MB engine.

Why would you even bother trying to replace something as foolproof and easy to use as a drain plug with some sort of valve?
It's so quick and easy to R&R an oil drain plug that I can't fathom why anyone would bother with one of these Rube Goldberg devices.
You've got ramps, a wrench and an oil drain pan.
You need nothing else to do oil changes and I've lost count of the number I've done over the past four decades.
Most of those were done without ramps or lifting the vehicles as well, although a set of ramps sure is nice.

Here is the inside of my oil pan with Fumoto installed. You can see some oil will stay no matter what, but who cares. There is a recess in the pan for the oil pick up. If a little oil left in the pan is okay for the engineers, then why not for BITOG members?

fumoto006-1.jpg

This is a very good point I bring up all of the time. Most oil pans do not have the ability to drain completely, anyway. Beyond that, any engine with an oil cooling system is going to hold on to old oil no matter what.

It's been proven in UOA after UOA. A bit of old oil left behind is not a death sentence for an engine.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Why would you even bother trying to replace something as foolproof and easy to use as a drain plug with some sort of valve?
It's so quick and easy to R&R an oil drain plug that I can't fathom why anyone would bother with one of these Rube Goldberg devices.
You need nothing else to do oil changes and I've lost count of the number I've done over the past four decades.
Most of those were done without ramps or lifting the vehicles as well, although a set of ramps sure is nice.

I'm glad you love the feeling of hot engine oil on your hands. Gloves or not, it a real son of a gun.

Try doing an oil change in windy conditions on a high clearance vehicle the traditional way. Forget it.

This was always a real joy when doing my Navigator, which has a plug that feels like it's a mile long, and begins gushing oil before it is even a quarter of the way out of the pan.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
crackmeup2.gif

Not exactly, a fluid extractor will siphon more oil than drain plug in an MB engine.

Depends on the engine. The dipstick must be right above the lowest point on the pan/ My Ford the oil pan tapers to the front of the engine and the dipstick is mid way.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
You need nothing else to do oil changes and I've lost count of the number I've done over the past four decades. Most of those were done without ramps or lifting the vehicles as well, although a set of ramps sure is nice.

Well, sometimes I kinda like the unanimous opinions on here but it sounds like you're not too familiar with this product. Fumoto valves have been on the market for thirty years and are far from a Rube Goldberg device. I first used them because of a difficult application with a rear-facing plug with bad access to a good leverage location. It was a PITA to remove the plug and get it back on. These valves cut the time in half and the flow is more predictable and cleaner. Not to mention that in the event that you slightly overfill it, it's much easier to release some oil. This is a stout product that's proven itself both for ease of use and a solution to a number of problems that, while you might not be able to fathom them, can be out there and real.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back