Oil Drain Valve - Brass vs Stainless

My wife has a reserve in on a 2023 4Runner should be here shortly. I have a 2022 Tacoma. I put in a SS Stahlbus drain valve at the first oil change in the Taco. It is above a knock off TDR skid plate. Running Havoline RS or DS 0w20 which is super convenient since the taco needs six quart and that is what the box holds.

I want to put a drain valve on the 4Runner which will also be above a skid plate. The Stahlbus works well and but there is also the Femco. Thought I might try a Femco in the 4Runner to see which one I like best over time.

Which brings me to my question, I know all thing being equal SS should be stronger than brass. But is there any other advantage or disadvantage to one over the other. Is one more prone to leak due to the different expansion properties of the metals ... brass or SS valve to a steel (or aluminum) oil pan? How about corrosion due to road salt or other chemicals? Just wondering if the material makes much of a difference.

(Note: Both the Taco and 4Runner will be above skid plates. Also, I have a Fumoto valve on a 2004 Ram CTD that has been on there for 19 years since the first oil change ... and I change the oil once a year and it still looks and works like new. I don't worry about it, but I think the screw on drain valves might be marginally better idea.)

I had a Fumoto valve on my accord, did the job ok, although drain a little slower.

I wanted to try the Valvo-max (same as Stahlbus) just because I thought it was cool and a great idea.

Out of the two, I like the Fumoto better. I have to jack the car up about 6 inches or so for either one, but the Fumoto one is easier and quicker for me to just jack it up, reach under, remove the safety clip and flip the valve open.

The first time using the Valvo max as I was screwing the cap with hose on, the hose would turn with the cap as I screwed it on. I had to make sure it was always either in the pan or pointing towards the pan to make sure when it started flowing it would go in the pan. Maybe if I was up on ramps or a lift and was high enough to have the hose in an empty 5qt container it may have worked better.

I think the Valvo max looks better but I’m probably going back to the Fumoto or the stock drain plug next oil change.

Regarding SS or brass. If you hit something hard enough right on either valve, I don’t think it matters what it is made of, it would break off. Although I’m not worried about it. Mine is on the backside of the oil pan. If something hits the valve then my oil pan is gone anyway. As yours will be covered by the skid plates, I wouldn’t think they would get all that dirty or corroded

I see no advantage of SS over brass for this type of valve. I have the Fumoto in my F-150 mainly because some idiot engineer at Ford thought it might be a good idea to put the plug on the side of the pan. It does drain a little slow but I'm usually not in a big hurry. I've had it on there for at least eight years and they are a very solid design.

I wouldn't put a valve on my new 2023. If you have your mind set on it, go for stainless.

I ran Fumoto valves for years, but have now switched to the Valvomax Stainless System. Not so much because it is Stainless, but because it's a much better design. The Valvomax has a total of 3 sealing surfaces to make a leak almost impossible.

I did have a Fumoto valve start to develop a small, dripping leak at the ball valve on a VW Diesel I once had. I simply replaced it at the next oil change. With the Valvomax I never had a problem.

I have a Fumoto valve on my minivan and I’m not that impressed mainly because it drains very slowly. I also did lose the plastic retaining clip, the valve stayed closed thank goodness, during my trip to Canada this Christmas, as I had to go through some deep snow.

It is nice though to just flip the valve open and start draining.

I prefer the Valvomax or Stahlbus design over the Fumoto. I had a Fumoto on one engine I pulled the pan on and found it left more oil in the pan after draining than I would like, it also looks like a Home Depot plumbing aisle refugee, it never happened to me but there have been reports even one on here that the valve got knocked open and let oil out.
The Valvomax style sits tight against the pan with a cap on it and when I changed the oil I pup 4.5 qts in and got 4.5 out so it is not leaving much oil in the pan. The Valvomax is veteran made and owned if that is important to you decision.

Still have to crawl under the car so I use a ratchet and a magnetic oil plug. Collects quite a bit over the course of an oci.

I got an extractor from Amazon $65. I use in on MIL Subaru and son uses it on VW and his Honda Civic. I have a Fumoto on my Equinox, I don’t really crawl or have to lift the car up. I like the Fumoto, the extractor is good when the filter is up top.

Well isn't that great only $49.99 but my problem is you still have to crawl under the car after spending $50. No I've had my box end wrench for 50 years. I won't be wasting my money on this foolishness!
There are some valid reasons for using these. I have one car that hold almost 8 qts of oil, the drain plug on the rear of the pan and when removed the oil is all over the steering rack and cross member, it is a PITA using a piece of cardboard to redirect the oil into a drain pan.
At some point someone installed a helicoil in that aluminum pan, with the valve it never has to be removed again, screw the hose in drain the oil directly in a 5qt jug, release it and put another jug under it and drain the rest. No drain pan and using a funnel to fill the empty jugs, just put the caps on the jugs.

I have the Fumoto valve on my 2008 Honda Civic. Also, I have one for my 2020 Chevy Equinox 2.0 TDI for its next oil/filter change. It works a little slower but is a little easier.

Back