Failure of using fumoto valve

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bought this F107N valve for my 08 Milan V6 AWD about six month ago, and my oil change is due so I went ahead for the first time to do-it-myself.

First of all, have to say, using ramps make it so much less intimidating and easier compared to using jack+stands. Let the dirty oil drain and then tried to install the fumoto. I'm a paranoid perfectionist and this has made my life much tougher unfortunately. During my research, I noticed some people had concerns about the valve not being able to drain every single drop in the pan, and some offered solutions, such as cut some slots for 2-3 threads or cut 2-3 threads off entirely. I chose to have a band saw cut across 2 threads deep slots (so four slots around the insert), and others said sometimes you want to add some extra crush washer to seal it better and also raise the valve a little bit more for better opening angle and less obscuring in a recess drain.

According to their site, I don't need an extender but I found that I do need at least 3-4 mm extension to raise the valve in order for me to tighten it. My crush washer came in handy and I just use a wrench to tighten it so that the last dripping of my oil seemed to stop and the lever was at a convenient location. It felt tight but the added crush washer made me turn it more in order to stop the dropping.

Thought I was fine and start to put in the first qt of oil, no leaking, but after my second bottle, start to see oil dripping from the washer/seal. I was concerned about overtighten so I had to remove the valve and adjust the washer (had another paper washer), but nothing worked and it really made a mess with the fresh oil pouring out.

In the end, had to put back the drain plug and it felt a little bit resistance turning in the beginning, but it went in fine, hopefully the threads on my pan weren't damaged too much. I took a look at the valve and noticed that the threads around the cuts I made were deformed a little bit (apparently the cuts jeopardize the mechanical strength of the brass). This seems to be a really bad advice just to fulfill "paranoid perfectionist"s overconcern of the remaining oil.

Another thing I don't know is to add the crush washer (I put the crush washer against the pan then the blue paper washer then the valve, hopefully that's the right order). I kind of lost my touch of tightening, since the crush washer need to be pressed down to make the seal and I felt it made me more prone to overtightening. I think better idea is to use the OEM extender.

To sum it up on my end, next time using a fumoto I will NOT:
1. cut any slots of any kind to weaken the brass, the remaining few drops of dirty oil is better than leaking
2. add a crush washer. I will definitely need an extender.

Anyway, did not see oil puddle or mark on my garage floor after overnight parking, so hopefully the drain plug was doing its sealing fine. Just want to share my not-so-good experience doing the oil change.

Last edited by a moderator:
It would seem that making a modification to something like this increases the overall risk of a failure in the part which in this case could result in a catastrophic failure of the engine.

How much oil would be left in the pan with zero modifications? Less than a pint? Perfectionism aside, this seems to be a solution to a non-existent problem, no?

There is no need to remove every drop of oil and is almost impossible to do so. Have you ever seen the insides of an engine? there are places where the oil pools . The valve did not fail you damaged it with your internet modifications

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
It would seem that making a modification to something like this increases the overall risk of a failure in the part which in this case could result in a catastrophic failure of the engine.

How much oil would be left in the pan with zero modifications? Less than a pint? Perfectionism aside, this seems to be a solution to a non-existent problem, no?

I don't know how big the negative effect is with the slower flow rate + not being able to drain everything. But based on what I see, I can only say the slot cutting was a stupid move, you might be able to get away of cutting the entire 2-3 threads but you add the possibility of only be able to use a thread or two if you need to add some washers to raise the valve from the recess drain.

For me, the valve + its OEM washer wasn't enough to be tighten properly, just a few turns it bumped into the edge of the recess edge of the drain port. I installed it while the last a few drippings of my old oil, so I could see clearly that the old oil was still dripping. However the deception was that after adding the crush washer the old oil dripping seemed stopped, which made me think it was sealing properly until my 2nd bottle. Wasted two fresh bottle of mobil 1 and made a mess. But I do feel lucky that I did the right thing to crawl under the car for each bottle I added. Imagine what a mess it could be if I just relaxed after not seeing dripping after the first bottle and I went ahead added the entire 6qts.....

Your thread title is misleading. The Fumoto valve didn't fail. You modified it and gummed up the threads, and stacked washers which caused a drip. Not the same thing.

I wouldn't use one, let alone modify it. In this case it's not the fault of the valve. I'm fortunate in a sense that removing any of my drain plugs is an easy task. I also get more oil out w/o having a Fumoto valve.

Originally Posted By: CT8
There is no need to remove every drop of oil and is almost impossible to do so. Have you ever seen the insides of an engine? there are places where the oil pools . The valve did not fail you damaged it with your internet modifications

I do not think the cuts alone made the whole failure. My car needs an extender (which was not disclosed in their parts choice site), and the added crush washer probably did not work well with the valve's OEM washer, so the whole thing did not seal well. I don't think the leak was from the cuts.

Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder
Your thread title is misleading. The Fumoto valve didn't fail. You modified it and gummed up the threads, and stacked washers which caused a drip. Not the same thing.

+1 - I installed one on my Jeep just screwed it on using the supplied washer. No leaks, works fine.

Good it failed during your oil change vs driving.

Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder

I should've said "failure of using fumoto valve". The original set-up (valve+ a signle OEM washer) did not work on my car (need some extension in the first place), and the added crush washer did not help as other user reported.

How do I edit the title btw?

Last edited:
If I was changing the oil daily, I'd use a Fumoto. If I was changing it weekly, I wouldn't. But that's just me. I still use a hand powered can opener.

Originally Posted By: bigt61
I still use a hand powered can opener.
Indeed--the old Swingaway has never failed me yet!!

Originally Posted By: bigt61
If I was changing the oil daily, I'd use a Fumoto. If I was changing it weekly, I wouldn't. But that's just me. I still use a hand powered can opener.

For me, it is about cleanliness over convenience. I can pull the plug pretty darn neatly, but the fumoto valve makes it so I could do it and eat a sandwich at the same time.

When I lived in a Apt. complex that did not allow self-oil changes, I could sneak out with a old oil jug, place it underneath the valve, and flip the fumoto switch. Did not need to jack it, worry about spillage, or carry tools. With the Subaru filter on top of the engine, it was extremely easy and clean. Now with a garage, I would rather to not mop-up oil.

I will say that a Fumoto on the transmission was the way to go when I was doing several drain/fills. Much easier to drain exactly X quarts and replace it.

The tiny of bit of oil they may leave behind argument is just plain silly. I've been reading about that as long as I've been on BITOG.

You're seriously overthinking it if you'd hack up a proven product like this to try to avoid that. Like said above, there's always used oil left behind in all the nooks and crannies within the engine. Same with a transmission, gearbox, etc.. You could always waste a half-quart of oil to dump through if you're that anal about it.

I've used Fumotos twice and they're a great product. SO convenient on a late model Subaru with the top mount filter.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: FutureDoc

For me, it is about cleanliness over convenience. I can pull the plug pretty darn neatly, but the fumoto valve makes it so I could do it and eat a sandwich at the same time.

When I crawl under my vehicles I am now at dog height. Any sandwich in my hand would not get eaten by me. Maybe one bite.

Originally Posted By: MrNobody

To sum it up on my end, next time I will NOT use a fumoto

Fixed it for you.

please it is not worth the hassle which you so clearly have come across

I use a Fumoto because I have found vehicles of Japanese manufacture to have soft threads for the oil pan bung. Since I keep vehicles virtually forever, eventually those threads wear.

A Fumoto addresses that problem. The problem that the OP was addressing probably doesn't actually exist, but he should try this: Install the Fumoto as originally designed, put a cup of oil in the engine, then drain through the Fumoto. Once draining is complete, remove the valve, and observe how much additional oil comes out. If it is more than you are comfortable with, crosscut a thread or two, and repeat.

This is only for the truly anal. I ground 2 notches in the threads, then removed the valve at the next drain interval. No additional oil came out. Reinstalled, and it has been good for almost 4 years, 100k miles. YMMV.

No wonder it didn't work, you cut the threads off! Why not take your tires off and use an angle grinder with a cutting wheel to take off half the studs so that they don't stick past the lug nuts? Sounds pretty dumb eh?

I've used a Fumoto valve on my last two vehicles and will continue to do so. I think the issue here is being cognizant of the need for the appropriate extension and not trying to jury-rig something that changes the installation or alters the valve.

My car needed an extension because of the slightly recessed oil pan and I knew that going in. However, some pans seem to be marginal and there isn't a reference to needing an extension on their site. I definitely would order the extension and just replace the oil plug til next time versus trying to make it work on such a critical area of the vehicle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back