Failure of using fumoto valve

Status
Not open for further replies.
The title should read-

"I failed to install the F107N Valve correctly".

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Bluestream
Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Why would you even bother trying to replace something as foolproof and easy to use as a drain plug with some sort of valve?

A few reasons:

If you need a new crush washer each time, with Fumoto you can save the cost.
No more worries about cross threading the oil plug, as the valve stays in and never comes out.
No more oil leaks from the drain plug.
No more rubber gloves needed, just flip the valve open.
No more hunting for the right size wrench to fit the oil plug,
Selling your car? Fumoto comes out and drain plug goes back in.

Let's examine your reasons for the Fumoto valve:

Quote:

A Fumoto valve is about $27, a bag of 100 crush washers is about $10. Tell me again how the Fumoto valve saves money?

Quote:
No more worries about cross threading the oil plug, as the valve stays in and never comes out.

Absurd, I've been changing oil on my vehicles for years and never cross threaded a drain plug, people need to stop putting them in with an impact wrench. I guess Fumoto should make a filter for fear of cross threading the oil filter on.

Quote:

With bag of crush washers that is less expensive than a Fumoto valve, problem solved.

Quote:

A valid reason, good point.

Quote:

I know what size wrench fits my vehicle's drain plug.

Quote:

Unless you buy the same make of car, chances are the valve will not fit your new car.

I am not saying a Fumoto valve is a bad idea, just that it is not the money saver people make it out to be.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

So apparently there's no reason to buy a Fumoto valve because if someone doesn't have a bag of crush washers, knows the size but still has to hunt for the wrench, worries about cross-threading whether real or imagined, or removes the $27 valve in the hope that it'll fit their next car then all is moot???? Thanks for clarifying....I'll have to stop using one now.

It's not marketed as a money saver...it's a solution with a convenience factor for many that eliminates potential issues that might get in the way of access to the plug, proper/cleaner oil flow, elimination of jacking where you otherwise would need to, etc., etc.

I have a Fumoto on my wife's Enclave for convenience purposes. Oil goes everywhere during the drain. I don't have one on my F150 because it's not necessary. Drain's are clean because the oil doesn't hit anything underneath and there's plenty of room under there. I do a lot of 4 wheel driving also and I wouldn't wanna accidentally shear it off or damage it or the oil pan.

Originally Posted By: stchman
Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Why would you even bother trying to replace something as foolproof and easy to use as a drain plug with some sort of valve?

A few reasons:

Let's examine your reasons for the Fumoto valve:

Quote:

A Fumoto valve is about $27, a bag of 100 crush washers is about $10. Tell me again how the Fumoto valve saves money?

Quote:

Absurd, I've been changing oil on my vehicles for years and never cross threaded a drain plug, people need to stop putting them in with an impact wrench. I guess Fumoto should make a filter for fear of cross threading the oil filter on.

Quote:

With bag of crush washers that is less expensive than a Fumoto valve, problem solved.

Quote:

A valid reason, good point.

Quote:

I know what size wrench fits my vehicle's drain plug.

Quote:

Unless you buy the same make of car, chances are the valve will not fit your new car.

I am not saying a Fumoto valve is a bad idea, just that it is not the money saver people make it out to be.

Never said it was a cost saver...and 100 BMW crush washers for $10? Get real....glad you never cross threaded a drain plug; you're a real pro!! Read all the threads on bitog of those who have this problem. Also when you sell the car the Fumoto comes out so cost is zero...quality is so high you can pass it to your children.

Every Fumoto thread the owners love them and those who don't own one hate them...what does that tell you?

Last edited:
I plan on getting one for my Mustang because oil goes everywhere when draining. I'm getting the "S" version that has the short nipple to attach the plastic fittings and hose to.

Wayne

The people that don't care for the fumoto valves are the ones who have never tried it. Kinda similar to people who don't care for Royal Purple oil.

Originally Posted By: deven
The people that don't care for the fumoto valves are the ones who have never tried it. Kinda similar to people who don't care for Royal Purple oil.

Not really the same since oil is basically a commondity

Originally Posted By: freshcopedawg
I do a lot of 4 wheel driving also and I wouldn't wanna accidentally shear it off or damage it or the oil pan.

Understandable concern. But in over 10 years of using them on Jeeps and pickups that regularly go offroad on hilly farm and property land, going over hillside terraces, crossing washouts, bottoming out in rough areas, etc, I have never had any issues. Every vehicle I have had, the guards underneath more than protected the Fumoto from any damage or dislodging. Likewise the valve lever. If it feels like a bad idea, then don't buy one. Simple solution. Those of us that have bought and have extensive experience with them have overcome any concerns, and it is doubtful that any negativity regarding using them will sway us from feeling it was money well spent.

I haven't tried it, but I don't hate either. I use magnetic oil drain plug instead.

Every time I change the oil, I see kind of sludgy metal shavings on it.

For a high C.R. - high rpm engine, safety comes first.

Originally Posted By: deven

Not really the same since oil is basically a commondity

I respectfully disagree. Their actions are similar

Originally Posted By: dgunay
I haven't tried it, but I don't hate either. I use magnetic oil drain plug instead.

Every time I change the oil, I see kind of sludgy metal shavings on it.

For a high C.R. - high rpm engine, safety comes first.

You could stick a magnet on the pan right next to the drain and still use a valve.
10.gif

I don't have a Fumoto but another type of drain valve on my car. I also added drain valves to some of my OPE. I'm a big fan of directing the oil exactly where I want it and not all over the undercarriage or garage floor. I'm also happy not to drop the drain plug in the drain pan.

Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker
Originally Posted By: freshcopedawg
I do a lot of 4 wheel driving also and I wouldn't wanna accidentally shear it off or damage it or the oil pan.

Understandable concern. But in over 10 years of using them on Jeeps and pickups that regularly go offroad on hilly farm and property land, going over hillside terraces, crossing washouts, bottoming out in rough areas, etc, I have never had any issues. Every vehicle I have had, the guards underneath more than protected the Fumoto from any damage or dislodging. Likewise the valve lever. If it feels like a bad idea, then don't buy one. Simple solution. Those of us that have bought and have extensive experience with them have overcome any concerns, and it is doubtful that any negativity regarding using them will sway us from feeling it was money well spent.

Bottoming out doesn't really concern me. Going through grass in the woods and running over a fallen limb does though. I can just imagine running over one side of a green limb and the other side sticking straight into the valve. A small concern but I'd be conscious of it all the time. Like I said works great on the wife's Enclave but the drain plug is no inconvenience at all on my truck.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I think this is a common and valid concern if you're four wheeling over brush, tree limbs and anything that snags or has the potential to impale. I use a Fumoto-supplied plastic safety clip with mine that snaps over the neck of the valve keeping it closed. It's basically added assurance if something kicks up from the road or I somehow run over a downed tree limb...but I'm not sure I'd trust it in a heavy off-road environment so I would agree that caution might be your friend.

Your fears are unwarranted my friends. My oil pan is far up above my front crossmember and skid plate. If the oil pan drain plug is the lowest point on you 4X4 you have problems.

Last edited:
I like the concept and i can see its advantage with large truck sumps.
I just can't see the advantage on the average car. You have to either wear gloves or get your hands dirty changing the filter, so the valve really does not keep your hands clean.

In a vehicle well maintained from new i see no issue with it. In a used vehicle, I'd worry about sludge or debris not going through the smaller opening of a fumoto.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: spasm3
I like the concept and i can see its advantage with large truck sumps.
I just can't see the advantage on the average car. You have to either wear gloves or get your hands dirty changing the filter, so the valve really does not keep your hands clean.

In a vehicle well maintained from new i see no issue with it. In a used vehicle, I'd worry about sludge or debris not going through the smaller opening of a fumoto.

Well, as I stated previously, the drain plug is on the side of the pan on my pickup. By using the drain plug and not a Fumoto, when I take out the plug, oil shoots to the side almost all the way to the passenger side steer tire. Judging that is tricky at best. has to be one of the stupidest ideas that GM came up with. With a Fumoto, and a plastic elbow that I can attach to it when I do the drain, I get a nice downward, controlled drain right into the catch pan. And since the drain plug port is on the side, so is the Fumoto when it is in there. So nothing protrudes downward. In this situation, if something were to rip off the Fumoto, chances are the pickup sustained some other serious damage.

I am sure many can think of a dozen scenarios that would question using a Fumoto. If one can't get comfortable with using one, then don't. I have heard all the arguments for years against them and yet it is still one of the main things I get early for any new vehicle I buy. But as with most things, most of the arguments against something usually comes from those that have no actual experience with something. They are working hard at convincing themselves that it is a terrible idea. No need to do that. Just don't get one!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back